Metal turning lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":3bpdz1oo said:
I'd get a big sheet of thin steel [side of a freezer etc.?] and fold the edges up without cutting at the corners in case you decide to use coolant at any point. If you think that's a possibility you could even cut a hole and solder in a threaded boss with a plug screwed in, then you can retro fit a sump & pump when wanted.

Thanks Mike! I never fort of dat!
Now I can make that 'Barbiekue'. :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":1zxts180 said:
"Boot-neck, Boot-neck, can't catch me!"

"When I catch yer I'll......."

"I'm in the cupboard........!"

You probably think I am mad! If so, I refer you to Jimi's signature! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nurse! ........ Nurse!

Johns out of bed again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I empathise Steve!

I got it sorted. It was just an infection fortunately, but at least I had it checked over. Uncomfortable process, but the peace of mind (And uninterrupted sleep) is worth it.

After what seemed like -- ](*,) Bliss!

It's the way that I tell 'em! (With apologies to the late Mister Carson.)

Roy.

This look familiar Dave:

DSC_0014.JPG

I am still fixing mine up...after over two years...got this far...

DSC_0182.JPG

I changed the flat belts for some v-belt pulleys...added an exercise bike from the missus....and a motor from something called "FRED"....it got called that because I got FRED up with finding what it was.... :mrgreen:

Added a few bits on the slide like a tool holder generously donated from a guy on the Myford newsgroup....

DSC_0179.JPG

...did some speed tests....

DSC_0167.JPG

I use it quite often to turn lots of bits for tools...

DSC_0066.JPG

....but now I know more about it...I think another refurbishment and setup is in order!

Jim

Nice Jim. I seem to remember seeing at least one of the those photos when I first became a member here. You can consider it inspirational :D. I see in a few of those photos the handle to advance the carriage is missing. Have you got another handle on the end of the leadscrew? My only previous experience with a lathe was as an apprentice on a Colchester. I expected my Myford not to have some of the luxuries of the Colchester but I was surprised that there's no graduated dial on the carriage advance. That's something I might have to upgrade in the future. That's just details though, I need to get the thing up and running first!

DTR":1qp2b803 said:
Nice Jim. I seem to remember seeing at least one of the those photos when I first became a member here. You can consider it inspirational :D. I see in a few of those photos the handle to advance the carriage is missing. Have you got another handle on the end of the leadscrew? My only previous experience with a lathe was as an apprentice on a Colchester. I expected my Myford not to have some of the luxuries of the Colchester but I was surprised that there's no graduated dial on the carriage advance. That's something I might have to upgrade in the future. That's just details though, I need to get the thing up and running first!

I have since put a Heath Robinson handle on the end to advance the carriage but I tend to do things by eye....and I don't think I use scales on anything I have whether present or not......

I do need to get one of those fancy ones though...the beautiful nickel or chrome plated ones you find on submarines and lathes!....oh...and Wadkin gear!

I need to get a proper motor/countershaft/pulley system....and get the thread cutting system working...the leadscrew needs alignment and all sorts of gib strips need setting...but I am getting there and it's good enough for what I do at the moment....making brass knobs....facing marking gauges...that sort of thing.

Cheers mate

Jim

Jim, as I recall you have a milling machine fund? Have you considered using your Myford as a poor man's milling machine? All you'd need is a vertical milling slide.

DTR":1s0pl21k said:
Jim, as I recall you have a milling machine fund? Have you considered using your Myford as a poor man's milling machine? All you'd need is a vertical milling slide.

I have considered it but I think the stresses on such a small lathe with bronze bearings are likely to mess it up.

I need one with a bit more wellie too...I want to be milling plane bodies and other fairly large things. I might get a vertical slide though one day...they are a bit expensive for me at the moment....I think it would be handy for facing jobs and the like.

Jim

Well, as you've shown me yours......

This is the old lathe, a good one but it took up too much room.
harrison_lathe.jpg

So I bought this instead. This is pre clean up.
lathe5.png

And some pics after a quick strip down and clean.
DSCF6793-1.jpg
DSCF6794-1.jpg

studders":3fsey1sh said:
Well, as you've shown me yours......

Thank you for upholding your part of the deal :D

Would you mind posting some more pics of the countershaft and motor arrangement please? That looks quite tidy

Back