Metabo optal 26 - combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It matters not what the range of machinery the company makes, they are prepared to put out a machine of questionable quality, what does that say about the ethics of the company? The critism and faults of the machine are well known and publicised, but on the repaint last year all was ignored. In my mind, that would have been the opportunity to correct the accuracy issues, but no, add a couple of motors and pump it out again to unsuspecting customers.

Freetochat":31ywr5hp said:
It matters not what the range of machinery the company makes, they are prepared to put out a machine of questionable quality, what does that say about the ethics of the company?

As I said before, the machine is built to fit a price bracket, you wouldn't expect to get a Mercedes for the price of a Mondeo would you? I simply made the point that Lurem make a lot more than the Maxi, I wasn't using it as an argument against the perceived flaws of the Maxi.

Freetochat":31ywr5hp said:
The critism and faults of the machine are well known and publicised, but on the repaint last year all was ignored. In my mind, that would have been the opportunity to correct the accuracy issues, but no, add a couple of motors and pump it out again to unsuspecting customers.

The main complaint about the old Maxi was having to change belts to change operations so this was addressed, as was the wheel set. I'd imagine the reason no other major changes were made were due to price implications. Imagine they upgraded the fence, added cast tables etc then tried to charge £3000 for it - no one would have bought it because they could have just bought the next model up instead!

I think there's a difference between unreasonable expectations at a certain price level and basic things like a manual that actually shows some of the parts - f'rinstance that obscure item, the anti-kickback pawls for the thicknesser. Or fences that can be adjusted for square without the use of a hardwood shim. Or planer tables you can access the bolts for in order to adjust them. Changing belts is not the issue and frankly isn't that hard or unexpected on a single motor machine. Never mind Mercedes performance, it'd just be nice if the Mondeo was capable of being steered down a straight and empty road. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Who had the unreasonable expectation the damn thing'd do what Record said it would. Silly me.

High expectations was not the issue, but value for money and fit for purpose was. Adjustment bolts not accessable, any adjustment was based on the movement of bolt within a bolt whole, which on startup would return to the 'factory setting', alignment of rip fence a joke. I could go on, but the point is made. I did ask for a rep to visit my home to set up the machine at my cost, he was attending a retail outlet less than 1 mile from my home, but this was declined as something they didn't do. The only thing I can say is that I got back 85% of the purchase price after 2 years of trying to get the machine to work. That to me indicates that perhaps my position had merit.

As has already been mentioned the belt changing wasn't an issue, it always was accuracy, adjustment and setup.

Mr_Grimsdale":1mcsss4e said:
Anyway I'm saving up for a Felder.

cheers
Jacob

I couldn't afford a Felder (and didn't have the room) but I bought a set of Hammer machines. Yes they cost more than the average hobby/semi trade machines but it was the best investment I have made. Accuracy and ease of set up was my driving force and that is what I got. It is now a pleasure to get into the shop, acutally making things rather than spending all my time trying to adjust the setup. And with Felder, you are a customer after the sale!

free to chats final point is the crux. spend time working wood not messing with machinery. and to be able to do so is freedom indeed.

Pheew - just going to bid on a Metabo Optal 26 on eBay and I thought I'd get a second report from you on this site that have experienced the machine! - and the verdict is --- I'm not going to bid. So looks like posting on the wanted page for some separate machines; so newly retired woodworm has a lathe but needs iron bed saw bench and the rest, light furniture restoration and fabrication. Thanks for your comment they sometimes influence others.

Anyone know of the Metabo Optal 26?

Is it on the the rubbish list like the others mentioned above?

Is it really that bad? Seen one for £250?

Would I regret it!🤣🤣🤣

Back