merica

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I was going to post this on chat, but decided it was a woodwork topic of the most serious nature.

Later this year the SWMBO & I are off to Boston then driving down to Philadelphia taking care to steer clear of NY (been there, got bored, got the t-shirt and other tourist tat).

Philadelphia (Audubon) is a regular for us as we have friends there and SWMBO can go to King Of Prussia shopping mall for things on HER slope. Anyone know of nice toolstores around the same area?

What I want is advice on what I can sneak in (all things woodwork) between the two cities. preferably " oh look dear There is a ****, would you mind if we popped in?". Like all of her species, she is navigationally challenged so I could go quite a way off most direct route

If you're in the Boston area, how far would that be from TLN's place (Maine I think)? Might be worth a very slight detour to pick up some new shiny toys from the factory itself :D - Rob

woodbloke":t1m6m1g8 said:
If you're in the Boston area, how far would that be from TLN's place (Maine I think)? Might be worth a very slight detour to pick up some new shiny toys from the factory itself :D - Rob
. . . for a bit of 'one-upmanship' with certain members who shall remain anonymous :wink: you might be able to fit one of these into your case :lol:.

Steve

hello lurker

well, to be honest i can't think of good woodworking places in or around boston or philadelphia (i lived there for two years)

however, i will suggest you stop in and see Joel M over at 'tools for working wood'
27 West 20th Street Suite 507
New York, NY 10011

the showroom is open on m-f 10:30 - 6:00 EST

their online catalog is amazing and i would love to some day get to see the store. :tool:

but other than that i can't think of anything interesting.

oh, i just remembered there is lancaster pennsylvania about an hour or and hour and a half from philly (the city not the man) this county is know for its amish population. there is lots of old fashioned stuff to see and great solid wood furniture. not too many tools though (ive looked). the amish food is GREAT and the people and their wares and crafts are second to none. just a suggestion...it was a family favorite for vacation for years. i still take my mom there when i get the chance :oops:

sparky

Hi Sparky,

Thanks - if nothing else you have confirmed my internet search about Philly tool stores.

I've been to Lancaster - I'm a big fan of the Amish stuff. We also visited Intercourse (snigger!) and I had a happy hour with a furniture builder there, was invited into his workshop. Actually, I think thats what got me going down the hand tools route.

I plan to order some stuff on internet in the run up to my visit & have it delivered to my friends home; in fact it might pay me to get started now while the dollar rate is so good.

In meantime if anyone knows of woodwork related places to visit (not necessarily "Slope" shops), I would be interested.

lurker":3t0tvg0c said:
We also visited Intercourse (snigger!)
the amish sure do have some great names for their towns. my father loved his t-shirt from intercourse it said "I love INTERCOURSE, pennsylvania" (mom hated it) :lol:

and I had a happy hour with a furniture builder there

now when you mean happy hour do you mean an hour that was happy or were you drinking with the guy :?:

sparky

Ps. im not sure if this translates well...'happy hour' here in 'merica' is the time when the bar (pub) has drink specials. sorry im not up on my 'english' :wink: :roll:

Sparky,

Those t-shrts must sell very well as I have one 8) (Uk size 2XXL - USA size Medium) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant an enjoyable unit of time.

Do the Amish drink :shock: :shock:
I thought not??

:lol: :lol:

hey lurker...no they don't drink. they are serious puritans.

"happy hour" i thought you meant an ammount of time but it stuck me as funny (in our language :wink: on this side of the pond) since the amish don't drink.

sparky

ps. enjoy your trip here. the weather turned nice in the last few days so i hope it stays that way for you

Back