• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Cottage back door for the M-I-L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Just totted up the timber in Sapele and it's like £220+vat or so. Given that this is going to be painted and maintained, any suggestions for something cheaper? If for durability it really has to be a durable hardwood then so be it! I looked at the douglas fir prices and they were about the same. I read somewhere that hemlock is used sometimes for doors, but that stuff doesn't sound anywhere near as durable or secure.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
redwood would be cheaper. but I've been caught out by these plank doors twisting many times. there not suitable for weather tight doors( think outside bog or coalhouse). also they don't like secure locks. I think I would make a framed door and try and make a stormproof rebate on the door if the frame rebate is narrow.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I could do without twisting. Can't wait to get this one behind me and get onto another project more within my comfort zone. Learning a lot though!

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
Utile, Meranti (if you can find a nice bit) , Red grandis, Southern yellow pine, Douglas fir.

Ollie

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
Redwood pine is good if you are painting it, but it's not very durable, you will be lucky if it lasts 5 years using modern paints, however linseed oil paints will work well with it.

I'd go with a nice hardwood like english oak, sapele or iroko.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of an out there alternative suggestion but if you are looking at spending £250 on wood and not looking forwards to making it get yourself a sheet of 18mm Tricoya MDF. Just cut it to size and use some of the off cuts for the battens, you can easily put some fake grooves in with a saw or router. No problems with sagging or movement.

Never done it myself but Keith Brown made a gate like that.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
One quick question as I've just started dimensioning the timber (got a good deal on some sapele from Yandles!).

With regard to the tongue and groove. Is it customary to cut the tongues to the exact depth, or a little short of full-depth to allow for movement or something?

Latest posts