Men's Sheds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw recently on here a reference to 'Men's Sheds' and decided to investigate further. Seems a brilliant idea, especially as I am due to retire at the end of this year, so I am now investigating the idea of getting one started locally to me in Colwyn Bay.

Has anyone any experience of starting such a project. How did you get on? What problems did you come up against & how did you solve them?

Any and all comments welcome.

regards

Brian

I don't have any experience but like you I am thinking of starting one. They seem like a great idea, I bumped into a bunch of nice chaps at Harrogate last year from one near Chester.

Funding? That rules out any Government involvement here then..

In contrast to my earlier post, I wouldn't mind making contact myself. There should be a 'Chapter' in the Midlands!
Capital idea then. (hammer)

Lottery money if you got a country wide scheme goingb etc.

Eu money.

Beg the Aussies to extend their boundaries to us :wink:

Well Woody..

I am so sick of Europe, I wish I had actually gone to Oz, when I first thought about it in 1971. Still at this end of life, to me it won't make much difference whether we have a referendum or not. So I'll while away my time in the shop, and also have a look into this Menshed org.
:D

Benchwayze":14vuv16z said:
Well Woody..

I am so sick of Europe, I wish I had actually gone to Oz, when I first thought about it in 1971. Still at this end of life, to me it won't make much difference whether we have a referendum or not. So I'll while away my time in the shop, and also have a look into this Menshed org.

Oddly enough I am getting the same feeling as your comments above, it must be an age thing, no promotion in site, no more children, too old for a young lady, apart from next month 1st April I am to have a personal doctor appointed because I exceed 75 years old, and I am now legally classified as frail.

Real good idea we have them in cheshire , worh visiting one near you to see what it is all about. I go to the one in crewe two days a week .good social thing and you are able to make things on machines you may not have at home.
Brian l

devonwoody":22i1ovlc said:
Benchwayze":22i1ovlc said:
Well Woody..

Oddly enough I am getting the same feeling as your comments above, it must be an age thing, no promotion in site, no more children, too old for a young lady, apart from next month 1st April I am to have a personal doctor appointed because I exceed 75 years old, and I am now legally classified as frail.

It's off topic I know, but I 'had the bags off' with my GP about this. She finally accepted I am capable of deciding which Doctor I want to see, and that I am not as frail as my age might suggest. Although I accept, it's becoming difficult to lump heavy stuff around the shop; hence more investment in machines for the Donkey-Work!

Right.. Back to Sheds; I do think this is worth investigation. Just to prove I can take on summat new! (hammer)

So ask the administrators here to put up a sticky and request members declare an interest at designated areas they live in and see if something could be started.

I think there are about 10 members at least in Devon.

What about your areas?

Thanks for the replies so far gents.

As mentioned in my opening post I am keen to see a 'Shed' started locally to me in Colwyn Bay. No one has so far said they have any experience of doing this in the UK so I will use this thread to keep those interested up to date on my progress. It might also prove to be a useful diary for me.

The 'Men's Shed' movement has been going for a few years now, originating in Australia where they currently have in excess of 1000 'Sheds'. It is not really about sharing your own garden shed but about creating a community group with facilities for older and/or retired men to congregate and use the facilities that are available either for their own projects or to help others.

It has been shown there are immense health benefits both mentally and physically for men who are able to remain active in mind and body after retirement. There is plenty of information online about the movement and the link I gave in my first post could be a useful starting point for anyone considering this, although I have to say the site is quite slow so you may need to be patient.

So - my progress so far:

I have discovered that the nearest shed to me is in Rhyl although it is in the very early stages of development. They meet on a Tuesday and I plan to visit just as soon as work commitments allow. The Rhyl shed in currently managed by a coordinator paid for by Denbighshire County Council and I am not sure how long this will continue.

In my research I managed to make contact with a chap from the British Red Cross in Abergele who I understand has been given the task of investigating a 'Shed' for Colwyn Bay and have arranged a meeting with him next week. Hopefully having an already established charity involved will help with credibility when approaching other possible funding sources.

So that's it for now, I'll keep you all updated as things move along.

regards

Brian

My wife is in the process of setting up a men in sheds group in our village. She works in a community centre, an old library and it needs various bits of work doing including building a shed. But the main reason is to get bored blokes out and about, active, meet people and feel valued.

Farmer Giles":16am9d67 said:
My wife is in the process of setting up a men in sheds group in our village...the main reason is to get bored blokes out and about..

Or just get you out of the house ? :D
Glad to see someone from the other 50% of the population getting involved, can't help thinking the name is designed to ensure it remains a single sex 'club'.

Check out the hackerspace foundation website for into too, similar idea, and a wider appeal as they tend to cover 'making' in general, not just woodwork or metalwork.
http://www.hackspace.org.uk/view/Main_Page

Benchwayze":phkaa86i said:
devonwoody":phkaa86i said:
Benchwayze":phkaa86i said:
Well Woody..

It's off topic I know, but I 'had the bags off' with my GP about this. She finally accepted I am capable of deciding which Doctor I want to see, and that I am not as frail as my age might suggest. Although I accept, it's becoming difficult to lump heavy stuff around the shop; hence more investment in machines for the Donkey-Work!

Right.. Back to Sheds; I do think this is worth investigation. Just to prove I can take on summat new! (hammer)

Sounds good John

You have a couple of years on me, but getting together, even just for a chat and a cuppa, is always a nice thing. Since restarting woodwork again, I have met up with a few very nice guys, who have been most helpful and a delight to spend time wth. Will keep an eye on this.

Alex

Interesting thread. I listened to BBC Radio 4 Life Scientific http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xdmz8 on Tuesday featuring Mark Miodownik (I'd never heard of him either, but no matter)

' For Mark, making is as important as reading and writing. It's an expression of who we are, like music or literature, and 'everyone should be doing it'. To this end, he wants our public libraries to be converted into public workshops, with laser cutters and 3 D printers in place of books ' Books are readily available online tools etc need a physical presence.

A lot of schools have laser cutters etc as standard kit so is that the place to start a shed? esp as we have the 'politically correct' word Community is a lot of school names.

Sounds good to me.

Brian

Latest posts

Back