Men's Sheds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Hackerspace is a great idea but different to the Men's Sheds movement. The Men's Shed is aimed primarily at the older and/or retired male population and the activities are focused on the traditional garden shed tinkering activities that a guy might undertake on his own but with peer contact and support and the social inclusion this would bring.

The Hackerspace, on the other hand, is more focused on new technology and I suspect would have a somewhat younger audience. I am sure there could still be plenty of overlap but I believe the two movements to have different primary aims.

As for the question of whether women are to be excluded, this would be a matter for each Shed to determine for itself. There are several arguments for including women and some sheds already do, sometimes on a specific day or days of the week. You just have to remember the ethos of the Shed and the group it is primarily aimed at. There are already plenty of groups that cater for the activities of women as they get older such as the W.I.

regards

Brian

Some of the 'Men's Sheds' down under take place in commercial woodworking premises. The organisation rents the use of the space and machines during evenings and weekends which gives the business owner additional income. It needs to be well organised and supervised to satisfy OSH etc but it can be done.

Alexam":3qftj0m9 said:
Sounds good John

You have a couple of years on me, but getting together, even just for a chat and a cuppa, is always a nice thing. Since restarting woodwork again, I have met up with a few very nice guys, who have been most helpful and a delight to spend time wth. Will keep an eye on this.

Alex

Well Alex, as soon as it's safe to 'abandon' the Missus in the house alone, to fend for herself, I might take you up on that. I probably know the way! Look forward to bending an elbow, and comparing shop-notes.
:D

wellywood":3rx72h08 said:
Some of the 'Men's Sheds' down under take place in commercial woodworking premises. The organisation rents the use of the space and machines during evenings and weekends which gives the business owner additional income. It needs to be well organised and supervised to satisfy OSH etc but it can be done.

Yes I went to one in Sydney, and they were equipped with Felder machinery, although daytime the equipment was rented out but I think evening time was more like a shed.

I think the owner sold out later.

Further to all above comments of mine and others.

Someone here might speak to Axminster Tools formally and see if they would ever consider participating, they are getting countrywide and most probably would have a way to stocking sheds. (Returns, trade ins for them, space etc.etc.) And great publicity!

And if in many towns sheds were created they could have an agent in place running a shed.

FWIW, there are at least two and another being set up round the North East of Scotland. If anyone in the area wants details, I've got an email about it somewhere. Have to confess to not having got involved as, being retired, there's too many things to be done :D

dickm":2x769iks said:
FWIW, there are at least two and another being set up round the North East of Scotland. If anyone in the area wants details, I've got an email about it somewhere. Have to confess to not having got involved as, being retired, there's too many things to be done :D
Interesting that as one of the ideas behind them is to give retirees something to do :)

regards

Brian

Local councils are supporting and funding something similar to a shed.

A neighbour (lady) attends an art group in town and the materials and centre they attend in addition one excursion per month to areas of Devon are it appears available. I get the feeling that they are not paying by remarks.

I have not made detailed enquires of the lady about the group but I think it is all elderly ladies. (no men) so they are getting a kind of shed. They do knitting and embroidery as well. I do not think they would be classed as disabled but no doubt some are lonely etc.

Regarding finding suitable working area for a shed would be fairly easy these days with all the empty shopping properties on the high streets etc. (call it a charity shop if you like)

I think at the end of the day some organization would be needed so a sponsor or charity group needs to lead the way forward to get a national scheme running.

Age concern UK would be a good starting point or similar.

brianhabby":1ww1o8az said:
dickm":1ww1o8az said:
Interesting that as one of the ideas behind them is to give retirees something to do :)

regards

Brian
That must be long after retirement. I finished work about 18 months or so ago and wonder how I ever found time for work. So much to ne done around the house that even hobbies take a back seat.

I'm on the management committee of a Community Workshop, which is a very similar idea, I think. We cater for a wide range of people, men and women, retired, unemployed, learning difficulties, disabled in one way or another.
There is an absolute wealth of knowledge amongst the people there and it has been a boon to me personally during my "life transition".
But.
Even though we were awarded the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service in 2008, now, just a few years later, we are wondering how we will continue. We used to be funded well and now some of those who funded us well do not fund us at all. Others have severely cut their contribution. We can often get individual grants for individual projects but it is the ongoing running costs that are more challenging. We no longer have a full-time technician, for example, so there is a lot more routine work for the volunteers (like me) to do. And be very careful about what rent you agree to, because if you get that wrong, you will find it very difficult indeed to re-negotiate it.

Good luck with it, it's a very worthwhile movement.

S

On-going funding is clearly something to be considered early on with these ventures Steve. It's all very well getting a grant to kick start a project but it needs to be able to either secure permanent funding for the future or find some other way to self fund. The Westhill Men's Shed in Scotland is a good example of how this can be done with projects for the community and regular fundraising events by the Shedders themselves, including selling items on a local market stall.

This all takes a lot of work and dedication on the part of the volunteers of course and needs a certain degree of commitment.

I have arranged to meet up with a contact from the British Red Cross on Tuesday and while I believe they have some money available for starting such a project we will need to look at many other sources of funding as well.

Before any of that though we have to establish a local need but I am confident we can do that.

regards

Brian

Brian,

Have you thought of approaching Health Boards, Public Health Wales and the Local Authority for funding using the improved mental health of individuals angle of the sheds? Poor mental health leads to poor physical health - both are expensive ie financially to the NHS and to the individual on a quality of life basis.

In England NHS has funded walking groups in the past on the above basis.

Brian

Yes Brian,

Those are amongst the organisations we plan on approaching. I now also have a contact for Age Cymru, the Welsh arm of Age UK and hope to speak with him next week as I know Age UK have been strong advocates of the idea in England & Age Scotland north of the border.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":3rksxkfq said:
The Westhill Men's Shed in Scotland is a good example of how this can be done with projects for the community and regular fundraising events by the Shedders themselves, including selling items on a local market stall.

Quote from email about a proposal to set up a Mens Shed in Inverurie:-

(In addition to Westhill there are now Sheds being set up in Ellon (now constituted and with charitable status), Portlethen and Alford with others further down the line).

Can put the OP in touch with the person who seems to be coordinating this if it helps.

I think you are right DW that the Australians have had tremendous support from a wide range of organisations including the national government. Indeed if you watch the video on the AMSA website you will see the Australian Prime Minister herself is very passionate about the idea with her partner constantly reminding her of the movement.

However, the government intervention and a whopping $3 million grant is not the reason the Men's Sheds became popular, I think it was the other way round. The government got involved after the need was proven with the rapid growth of the idea across Australia.

All that should encourage us as more and more organisations here begin to recognise the benefits and start to get involved.

regards

Brian

A quick update of what's been happening locally for those interested.

I have been contacting as many people and organisations locally as time will allow and have already had some very encouraging conversations. I met with a couple of guys from the British Red Cross earlier in the week and that discussion went very well. I also have several other meetings with individuals/organisations lined up in the next few weeks not least a local housing association who have an interest in starting a 'Shed'.

I took the liberty of downloading a spreadsheet from the local County Council website that contained the email addresses of every single County Councillor - so they all got an email from me and I have received some very positive replies so far. I have discovered an interest in starting a 'Shed' in several surrounding towns so there is a growing interest in the idea.

I have also made a website so that people can read about what we are doing and be kept up to date and have some publicity leaflets in the pipeline that will also help to spread the word. www.colwynbaymensshed.org.uk

So it is going well so far, will keep you informed.

regards

Brian

Benchwayze":2asdg6hb said:
Although I accept, it's becoming difficult to lump heavy stuff around the shop; hence more investment in machines for the Donkey-Work!

Or just pay me with a pint at the Cat :lol:

Back