Men's Sheds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianhabby":2ikcb3y2 said:
A quick update of what's been happening locally for those interested.

I have been contacting as many people and organisations locally as time will allow and have already had some very encouraging conversations. I met with a couple of guys from the British Red Cross earlier in the week and that discussion went very well. I also have several other meetings with individuals/organisations lined up in the next few weeks not least a local housing association who have an interest in starting a 'Shed'.

I took the liberty of downloading a spreadsheet from the local County Council website that contained the email addresses of every single County Councillor - so they all got an email from me and I have received some very positive replies so far. I have discovered an interest in starting a 'Shed' in several surrounding towns so there is a growing interest in the idea.

I have also made a website so that people can read about what we are doing and be kept up to date and have some publicity leaflets in the pipeline that will also help to spread the word. www.colwynbaymensshed.org.uk

So it is going well so far, will keep you informed.

regards

Brian

Well done Brian, I think they are a great idea. If you need any help (I don't know how or what or even if you need any as you look like you are doing very well by your self!) I would be happy to try an give you any advice or you are welcome to come and see our set up.
Cheers Peter

Hi Brian, I have been reading this link with very much interest and I think it is a fantastic idea.

Has anyone looked into the possibility of using Schools craft workshops.

At my Grandsons school they have a fantastic workshop fitted out with some great machines both old and new.

I don't think that the machinery gets heavily used and in any case after 4 pm they are empty.

I don't know what the politics would be or perhaps the Health & Safety issues but there are a lot of facilities out there getting very little use.

Vic

Thanks for the Invite Peter. Although I think you are a bit far if I am every in your neck of the woods I might just take you up on the offer. We are supposed to be visiting relatives in Somerset later this summer so maybe could pop in on the journey.

The nearest 'Shed' to me at the moment is in Rhyl just along the coast and I plan on visiting those guys on Tuesday next week. I also have plans to visit the Chester shed at the end of April. I suspect each 'Shed' will be quite unique but it will be useful to pick up ideas and see how others are doing it.

The idea of using the facilities in local schools sounds like a good one on the face of it if it weren't for the fact that most workshop facilities like that have disappeared, certainly locally. The other issue I see though would be access time as I get the feeling that most 'Sheds' operate in the day time when the school workshops would be in use. I suspect a lot of guys will not wish to attend something that is only available in the evening.

regards

Brian

Benchwayze":1j8cidva said:
Alexam":1j8cidva said:
Sounds good John

You have a couple of years on me, but getting together, even just for a chat and a cuppa, is always a nice thing. Since restarting woodwork again, I have met up with a few very nice guys, who have been most helpful and a delight to spend time wth. Will keep an eye on this.

Alex

Well Alex, as soon as it's safe to 'abandon' the Missus in the house alone, to fend for herself, I might take you up on that. I probably know the way! Look forward to bending an elbow, and comparing shop-notes.
:D

Sorry for delay in coming back John, you'd be most welcome, as would others in the area and the kettle is always on. Monday's and Friday's are good, as the better half has other commitments on those days at present. However, I'm sure we can arrange something and I'll get some chocky bickies in. PM me when you are fre and a number to call would enable a lkink.

Cheers

Alex

Latest posts

Back