Melamine or Formica

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiler99

Established Member
Reaction score
Melamine or Formica where to get it from. I am in the West Midlands and i cant seem to find it by searching the net....any ideas? Its for the top of a router table.

I had the same problem and couldn't find anybody locally who stocked it.

In the end ordered it from Jewson's who got it in within a few days. Had to take a whole sheet - 10' x 4', but it rolls up so no problem to transport, and it's suprising how many uses you find for it once you have it to hand !

Cheers, Paul. :D

I couldn't find any on the net when I lookked in the end used a quality timber merchant who were quite helpful as I didn't know exactly what I wanted. Price of this stuff varies if you don't lookout you'll pay £60 I just got a plain white, might even be a backer sheet for £30 (maybe+vat) they sorted it for me, and got it within a day or two. Just pick a good local ,merchant and start asking I guess.

Alan

Hmmm sounds as if it would be easier/cheaper to buy a ready made router table top from Rutlands or somewhere.

I know there is an outlet somewhere in Halesowen, but I can't remember where. This is Formica's phone, fax, and email address.

Tel: 0191 259 3000
Fax: 0191 258 2719
Email: [email protected]

Drop them a line and ask for the info.

Found it :D
Blackheath Products Ltd
Unit 4, Fairfield Park, Fairfield Rd, Hurst Green, Halesowen, West Midlands B62 9JL
Tel: 0121 561 4245

I went through this process too. I was told (by Covers in Chichester) that they could get Formica but that it came in 10' x 4' sheets and was £130 + VAT plus delivery of £10. They also did a cheaper version, same size sheet but £39 (incl VAT). The main difference was that real Formica was heat resistant and the cheaper stuff wasn't. I wanted it for the TS outfeed table so didn't think heat was an issue. It took forever to arrive but was just the job. I stuck it to some chipboard withan evostick type glue from Toolstation and its has worked very well.

Thanks everyone, and Shultzy thanks i found them too via another site. I will call them next week. Failing that it will be a ready made top from somewhere

Just a technical point here. Melamine is a resin applied to a sheet of backing material such as chipboard or MDF using a paper strengthener. Formica is one company out of many making decorative laminates, others include Abet Laminati, Polyrey, Wilsonart, Pfleiderer, etc. However, for tasks such as this MFC (melamine faced chipboard) or MF-MDF (melamine-faced MDF) are generally more than adequate, cost considerably less and are more readily available to boot. They also involve a lot less building effort and you don't need a laminate trimmer to handle the edges. If you get a reasonable quality MFC it will last quite well in medium commercial use providing you add hardwood lippings to protect the edges. My experience, anyway.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit, i was going that route anyway after reading up more. Got some 25mm mdf melamine faced on both sides on order.

Have you tried going to a local joinery shop and buying offcuts, i did and i recall i was charged a whole pound for the pieces i got. Don't forget to laminate both sides so it doesn't curl. Cheers Andy

Latest posts

Back