MDF or Chipboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,

Do you use the 18mm mdf for your wall cabinets too? I just looking to make some units for my dining room and was thinking about using 18mm Veneered mdf, but thought that it might be too heavey for wall cabinets....

Cheers

S

Hi simon. Yes i do use 18mm for the wall cabinets. My cabinets are sat on a solid wooden batten aswell as screwed through the backboard so theres no chance of them coming off the wall. Ive never had one fail yet( fingers crossed).

Cheers

Steve

Steve, do you put in a full 18mm back or do you just have a 6" strip at the top and then have a 6mm panel in front of this?

Sorry for all the questions...I've never built any cabinets like this before, got to used to using solid timbers.

SimonA

when we build our wall cabinets, it's with 18mm backs and a 18mm batten screwed to the wall first. These hold alot of books and never had any come away.

Andy

I use 18mm for backs also , 12mm if im tight for space but never anything smaller .

Cheers guys......do you just glue and screw your backs on your cabinets or do you use biscuits?

Also do you place the backs on the back of you carcass or inset them? it would be great if anybody has a drawing or a plan for wall cabinets. As they say a picture tells a thousand words....

Cheers.

SimonA

My own preference is to groove the sides and slot in the back (from below on upper cabs) with carcase screws and a spot of glue to hold it in place. If you use a thicker back this provides real rigidity, so I tend to use 12mm or 15mm for backs. However, if I'm using side hangers like these
url]
which can require thinner backs I sometimes use 8mm MFC or MF-MDF (drawer bottom).

Scrit

Back