Matt protective finish on painted bookcases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_p

Reaction score
Hello all

I've recently made some bookcases, cabinets and display cabinets for someone, they were constructed from 25mm mdf, faced in solid oak and painted/being painted. I have not been involved in the finishing of the bookcases, which have been painted, including the oak :( in white emulsion.

Whilst I personally would probably have used satin wood in the first place, he asked me to find out about suitable protective coatings. He said he used Diamondhard varnish before, however, i believe (from memory) that this is a polyurethane and presumably prone to yellowing. I have warned him about this, hence him asking me to find out about other products they could use.

I would probably go for that Rustins Plastic Coat but he wants a Matt finish, so I thought I would throw this out to you chaps for any suggestions.

The only other thing is that his grandad will be painting it, so ease of application would be helpful.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Tom

Ronseal Diamond hard floor varnish is water-based and much less prone to yellowing than solvent-based finishes. In fact water-based polys often have a slight blueish tinge to them.

Back