Match new pine moulding colour to that of dipped doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madball

Reaction score
I've recently bought 2 dipped and stripped doors fitted to replace the existing doors in the living room.

I know some will not be happy with this and will say that I'd have been better to keep the paint on... however the 5 doors upstairs had been done by previous owner and it was cheaper to do it this way.

I actually quite like the colour of the doors, both upstairs and downstairs, but I need to add some mouldings on to the panels and was wondering the best way to age the new pine mouldings so that they were closer to the door colour. I've read that a caustic soda solution might do this, but what would the right mix be? Alternatively I've also seen that I might be better staining them before fitting. And finally the door supplier has come up with 2 options - leave it to age a bit and accept a difference in colour that will dissipate over time, or pass them the mouldings and they will put through the same treatment as the doors.

I fancy tackling this myself, so what's the best option?

If your door supplier has offered to do the mouldings for you I would go with that option. If you do them yourself, you will need to find a plastic trough big enough to accommodate your mouldings, fill with cold water then add caustic soda crystals, ( about a mug full ) give it a good stir with a wooden stirrer and leave for a few minutes before putting your mouldings in. ( you may have to weigh them down ) I am not sure how long you will need to leave them in, probably about 20 minutes or so, take them out give them a good rinse in water then leave to dry.

Latest posts

Back