Massive woodworms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottonwood

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what appeared when I split some bits of dry cricket bat willow for kinderling earlier this morning

Even the smaller hole in this picture (1 1/2 mm) is very large by normal standards

The biggest holes are 4mm diameter, standard p2 bit to indicate scale. Theres a body part sticking out as well....

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I must say whatever worm was responsible, they did a very neat job the hole looks a nigh on perfect round with no tearout..... :lol:

it was probably Ringo.

I think he was the boring beatle :)

getmecoat.gif

Nah - that's not massive. This is massive!
I looked up this monster, which I found when sawing up dry oak. Quite a nuisance as it had bored deep into the heart wood. Seems to be a longhorn beetle, Prionus coriarius or Ergates faber.

Beetle2.JPG

Beetle1.JPG

Attachments

• Beetle1.JPG
    Beetle1.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Beetle2.JPG
    Beetle2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,104
Yikes! Quatermass and the pit...................showing my age now. It gave me nightmares when I was a kid and that image brought it all flooding back!!

Attachments

• photo-les-monstres-de-l-espace-quatermass-and-the-pit-1967-3.jpg
    photo-les-monstres-de-l-espace-quatermass-and-the-pit-1967-3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • a                           a.jpg
    a a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,052
I think the OP's holes are from horntailed wasps. They seem to like willow. The good news is that they aren't a problem with dried and finished wood - they can only lay eggs in the bark.

Think that is what they call Capricorns here in France. I found something similar live in a poplar tree I had to fell before it finally keeled over by itself.

Back