Marquetry inlay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Lost my chocolate labrador a couple of months ago, so decided to add a marquetry inlay in his memory to the telecaster-type guitar I'd just finished.
The problem was that I'd already poly'd the body, so had to rout out the shape to just under 0.6mm to enable me to sand the inlay. Too shallow for an electric job, so resorted to doing it by hand, using my Stanley 271....

IMG_20231102_093742969_HDR.jpg

Thanks Fred48 and all the others...
Yes, it's the first time we've been without a dog for over 40 years, and although we've been through all the other's final days as well, this one seemed the worst, perhaps because it brings home that none of us are immortal...

IMG_20231106_101747143_HDR.jpg

that's really nicely done! any tips on getting started with marquetry? I've wanted to give it a go for a while now.

that's really nicely done! any tips on getting started with marquetry? I've wanted to give it a go for a while now.

I tried to earn a living from it 30+ years ago - not involving guitars, but everything else I could think of at the time. What kicked me off was learning that the sister one of my then mates had made a chessboard, which looked absolutely superb. (The chessboard, not my mate's sister. Oh, I don't know though ;))
No internet in those days, so it was off to the library to see how to do it....
(No, you don't cut 64 mis-shaped squares like I did. You read the library book, and don't be such a smart-buttocks!)

That led to buying a marquetry picture kit, everything included except the scalpel, and away I went.
Patience, thetyreman. You need it.
I know you have it, because I've spotted some of your guitar builds.
Not sure you can still buy any kits, but it's a good place to start if you can.
Plenty of youtube jobs on the subject, but not at the time I started.
The problem with them is that it's a bit like entering "learn guitar?", and coming across someone like Eric Gales.
Might take a while!

Edit : No I didn't type "buttocks", by the way. Mine was more traditional!

I used to enjoy doing marquetry 30+ years ago before life got in the way, and was looking at trying again in retirement but I can’t find any kits that inspire me. There are kits out there if you do a search on the internet or the usual places, but they all appear simplistic to what was around previously. They would still be a good introduction to the hobby though. I bought a scroll saw instead.

I used to enjoy doing marquetry 30+ years ago before life got in the way, and was looking at trying again in retirement but I can’t find any kits that inspire me. There are kits out there if you do a search on the internet or the usual places, but they all appear simplistic to what was around previously. They would still be a good introduction to the hobby though. I bought a scroll saw instead.
Snap, Eric L - I've just done the same! I always used the knife/window method, but recently bought a small 2nd-hand scroll/fretsaw to have a go at using the multiple-veneer pad method. Then it was a case of which size blades to use! A veritable minefield....

I've got a fair selection now, but have yet to find the time to have a crack at anything...

Back