Marples Holdfast - collar?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this Marples holdfast on fleabay recently, the only slightly unusual thing about it is that there are no ridges on the main shaft. Does this mean that it is designed to be used without a collar? I also have a Woden holdfast with collar that it fits in perfectly. There are no markings on the hold fast except the Marples sticker, it's reach is about 8 1/2", a little longer than the Woden one. What I'm hoping for, of course, is that someone will tell me that this was specifically designed for use without a collar, so won't chew my bench up and save me lots of time and money in fitting collars. I suspect however that I am being a little optimistic, in which case, can anyone tell me where I can buy suitable collars?

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• 1Marples holdfast.jpg
    1Marples holdfast.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3,291
i dont think you need a collar or that it will chew up the dog hole. the force is only applied when the holdfast is in the hole, and it is gently applied by using the hand screw.

Thanks for your replies, I'll try it with just one hole and let you know how it goes,

Cheerio,

Carl

Just realised, there's no particular reason for any forces to be greater than when using a forged holdfast - the ridges on my other holdfast might chew up unprotected holes in the bench, this one has no ridges so should be OK, I feel a lot happier now - might even try the Woden in an out of the way part of the bench to see whether it causes any damage!

Hi Carl,

Just remember to chamfer your holdfast holes before use, as this will help reduce/prevent the heightened risk of tear out at the edges.

We're doing a piece in the next issue about fitting a holdfast if you don't have a collar. It also raises the holdfast, which seems to make it more versatile.

Nick

Nick Gibbs":506aqp3h said:
We're doing a piece in the next issue about fitting a holdfast if you don't have a collar. It also raises the holdfast, which seems to make it more versatile.

Nick

Some form of slip collar?

No. A block of wood!! It's the frugal approach. I'm very interested by other options.

Nick Gibbs":on7i2dak said:
No. A block of wood!! It's the frugal approach. I'm very interested by other options.

I know the method you're hinting at and yes - if I'm correct in my assumption - it's a form of slip collar (A collar capable of sliding along the length of pipe or rod - which is bored to accept the holdfast shank and rests upon the bench top above the existing dog hole. The base of the square/rectangular/elliptical slip collar levers against the bench top whilst the holdfast shank locates through the block and into the underlying dog hole. Another name for it would be a raising piece. :)

Another method involves the use of a reducer. This has one female end capable of accepting the shank of the holdfast and a male end which slips snuggly into the dog hole via at least half it's depth. Effectively two lengths of pipe of different diameter - capable of a sliding fit with one inside the other - welded end to end. Much the same a plumber's reducer fitting.

Both of the above effectively extend the length of the holdfast shank and the tool's effective working height.

Spot on, Gary. Thanks for the reducer idea. Is it ok to use in BW?

Thanks (by the way how do I thank on the forum?)

Nick

Nick Gibbs":2b475lbj said:
Spot on, Gary. Thanks for the reducer idea. Is it ok to use in BW?

Thanks (by the way how do I thank on the forum?)

Nick

Never a problem Nick and you're very welcome. :)

Back