manual powered lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Established Member
Reaction score
hello to all

i don't look at this forum much so this might be something that has been discussed. has anyone seen or know of plans for a lathe that is powered by the user. somthing like what they might have used before electricity. im a bit of a neanderthal but i would like to try turning and that means that some day i either build a lathe that i power myself or compromise and get a power tool.

just curious if anyone had come across plans of design ideas

thanks
sparky

Hi Sparky,

The traditional foot powered lathe is a pole lathe, used to be a springy sapling with a rope tied to it, wound round the spindle and then tied to a treadle. The work rotates in both directions. Then a springy pole tied to the bench was used and I have seen these powered by big bungee cords.
I have also seen a treadle lathe that has a large fly wheel and is worked like the old sewing machines. There is a chap who’s name I can't remember who demonstrates making flowers using one of these.

Sparky
I started on a pedal lathe, I was so light at that time (and young too) That I had to jump with both legs on the pedal, then turn a bit and then jumped again....And now?... I cannot do without a electronic variable speed control.
The lathe I use as an avatar is that lathe I'm talking about

Keep your eye open on ebay - treadle lathes come up on there on a regular basis. A lot have been converted to electic motors but you can still find the odd original.

Back