Makita compound mitre saw intermittent electric brake.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is supposed to be in the 'Tools' section?

I have a Makita LS1018L compound mitre saw and sometimes the electric brake does not kick in. It spins down for a bit and then the brake kicks in. It has been back to Makita and returned to me 'fixed' with a nice Makita teddybear sticker attached (no mention of any parts replaced) The problem is still there. One out of ten times the brake doesn't work.

I bought this saw only a few years ago to replace my Makita LS1040 which had exactly the same problem. On that one I replaced both switches, brushes, armature and field and the problem was still there so gave up and bought the LS1018L which was great for 6-8 months.

Really don't want to send this back and be without for another 6 weeks especially as it's starting to get really busy with Christmas round the corner.

Any ideas?

TIA

I also have the same problem with my makita chop saw,I just ignore it and hope it isn't causing any damage,other than that the saw works fine and is quite a few years old,probably 20 or more.Still I would be interested if anyone knows the problem,and can give us a simple solution.

Ditto, LS1040 here with same problem, been ignoring it for years now, doesn’t seem to have caused any other issues

Kept meaning to post up the same question myself!
Alas mine also has this behavioural issue!

Mine had the same problem too. Just be a makita thing. It also sounded terrible.

I don't know if this is relevant but I was using my SIP mitre saw one day when it kept running after I released the trigger switch. By the time I got to the wall switch, just a few seconds, there was smoke coming out of saw. I thought it was finished, but had a nose around inside and found a piece of burnt out electronics, a mains filter I think. Anyhow I bypassed it and the saw now works, but with no electric brake.
So if you guys find your Makita eventually stops working - or won't stop, then it MIGHT not be a burnt out motor, just a filter.

K

I used to have a similar problem with my Makita router, I think they have the same electronic brake, I found I wasn't fully releasing the trigger to activate the break. Now I let go of the swtich rather than relasing it slowly and its fine.

Pete

Well, at least it's not just me then… :p Still bloody annoying. Especially as mine was 'repaired' end of last year and still has 9 months warranty.

Racers":2yrl6upt said:
I used to have a similar problem with my Makita router, I think they have the same electronic brake, I found I wasn't fully releasing the trigger to activate the break. Now I let go of the swtich rather than relasing it slowly and its fine.

Pete

It seems to be better when flicking your finger of the switch rather than releasing it slowly but still does it sometimes.

Little update.

The saw has been misbehaving quite badly over the last few weeks.

Only learned today the the intermittent cutout is caused by a break in the power cord as when I twist it it works fine. I might just order a new power cord rather than sending it back under warranty and having to wait another 6 weeks again.

Someone at Makita told me to run the saw at full power for a full minute to cure the brake problem. Didn't work. I have cable tied the trigger and left it to run for just under 10 minutes and the electric brake works EVERY single time now.

Might be of use to people with the same problem.

Latest posts

Back