Making Princess type bed for granddaughter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked by my daughter to make a princess bed for the little un so Im starting to gather info ready for the build.

Does anyone have any plans I can follow?

I am thinking of something along these lines -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girls-30-Sing ... 1805018401

Im planning on using a wood frame for support especially the matress area and mdf for the big overall shape etc.

Having looked at the above link, can anyone advise what fixings they use as they dont look like screws or nuts & bolts?

Also how is the best way to paint and finish mdf as never done anything like this before that needed painting.

thanks again

Colin

To be honest I don't know much about MDF except that you need to be very careful not to split it when screwing and to give it a good priming!

Considering that, I'd choose a nice sheet of plywood, you can even leave the edges stripey for a nice effect.

Googling around I can't find any good plans. How about sticking to a simple normal bed, creating a shape in the plywood ie pumpkin carriage and attaching that? You can use a router with bearing bit to copy the first side and make it symmetrical, then paint whatever fairytale stuff to make it pretty?

Just an idea to get the ball rolling!

Thanks, I am abit dubious of using screws. Found the name of the bolts and theyre cross dowel nuts and bolts so I think they would be stronger that screws. The only reason I was thinking of MDF was that I can usually get mdf for free or near enough.

When you say about priming and painting mdf, are we just talking normal wood paint or wall paint?

thanks again

Colin

Are you aware that MDF dust is extremely dangerous because its so fine you breathe it in without knowing. wear a mask when working with it, and always p[aint the finished article if its in the house. Especially so with a kiddie going to be jumping all over it.
I also would use ply rather than MDF.

Thanks guys. Yes im aware of mdf dust so have a decent mask aswell as dust extraction.

I was thinking 12mm mdf with a softwood frame and that £18 + vat per sheet

I also enquired about Plywood and was quoted the following prices

12mm Shuttering Ply £ 18.50+vat (not ideal for drawers because of the finish; would look good rustic!)

12mm External Grade £29.90+vat

12mm Birch Ply £42.70+vat

So my question is, if I decide to go for ply, could I get away with thinner than 12mm and if so what thickness and then I wouldnt use Shuttering ply but would External Grade be ok?

thanks again

Colin

MDF only for this application IMO.
Even with birch ply it's going to be very difficult to avoid any splintering which is the last thing you want in children's furniture.

how spooky
I was discussing granddaughter new bed with my son at weekend
he had identical design in mind
think I may give it a go with 18mm mdf
I think maybe a fair bit of waste with the design, but still not too expensive

Steve

SteveF":1mzh4843 said:
how spooky
I was discussing granddaughter new bed with my son at weekend
he had identical design in mind
think I may give it a go with 18mm mdf
I think maybe a fair bit of waste with the design, but still not too expensive

Steve

Good luck with it mate, let us know how you get on with it. I might ask about price for thicker mdf but the ones Ive found online were 12mm mdf so that may even be enough.

cheers

Colin

personally I'd go with 18mm MDF, the ones online are built to the cheapest they can get away with, for few extra quid on your part you'll be making something that withstand the riggers of life.
Depending on how complex the shape is, you can edge band it with paintable edge banding which will make painting so much easier and also protect the corners some what (you might need a smaller iron if it's a complex shape). other option T edgeing (think arcade cabinet) this requires a cutter to put a grove in to the edges though. it isn't paintable either.

Primer / undercoat will depend on what you want to paint it with. if it's acrylic or cellulose based you'll want a high build primer that is suitable and a few coats with plenty of gas off time between it and the base coat, if it's just plain old gloss/matt (dulux type stuff) then any primer will do although you can get MDF specific if you want to shell out.

Hi Phil
I get what your saying but cannot think of an alternative
I guess I could glue up some cedar of lebanon and make with that but reckon it would be quite heavy to transport

Steve

I can see the benefits of both but still thinking of MDF, one because of cost and two because I cant see this being used for too long before she outgrows it and im having to build a Penelope Pit Stop car or something. Im just not 100% sure of the thickness to use.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Colin

I personally would make the main bed frame out of Redwood, and use MDF to create the Princess carriage shape and fix to the frame with screws and screw caps.
The main bed frame can then still be re-purposed with screw holes filled and re-painted when Grand daughter has moved on to the next fad.
I would use Leyland Trade water based Primer and Leyland Trade Eggshell water based paints, although these are readily available in white and magnolia a branch of Johnstone's Decorating Centre will sell you those paints in the colour shade of your choice (pink?) for an additional few quid.

Back