Making better dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
After all the criticism levelled at Rob Cosman's dovetails (a guy I think is terrific, by the way), perhaps we should see some examples from the forum members!! :shock:

To help, or start, some along the way, here are a few strategies for producing tight dovetails that I have found useful. The idea here is to add your own and build up as many useful tips as possible.

Take the time to ensure that the boards you are joining are dimensioned square and even in thickness. Anything that is out-of-square will make it very difficult to end up with flush joints.

Marking out with a scale. This makes it easier to adjust the spacing. I find this less finicky than using protractors.

Marking.jpg

Sawing square is the key to tight fitting dovetails. Ganging up boards makes this easier to do.

Gangsawingtwothinboards.jpg

I saw the tails first. The accuracy in sawing these angles is not critical - it is matching these saw cuts to the pins that is critical. Using a dovetail angle marker helps in this regard - not vital, but it does make it easier to replicate angles.

Dovetail markers also allow one to experiment with different angle ratios. I think that the angle does not make a lot of difference to drawer strength. On the other hand, a wider or narrower dovetail can enhance the aesthetic look. I tend to go for a higher ration (1.5) on thin boards and a lower ratio (1.7 or 1.8) on wide boards.

Dovetailmarkersinbrass_html_48e46b7.jpg

Starting a saw cut with the saw raised effectively lowers the rake of the teeth and makes for easier starting. Aim to follow two lines similtaneously (e.g. the angled and the horizontal lines).

TheVeritas20ppiDovetailSaw_html_m654f2955.jpg

Aim to make your saw cuts as close to the knife line as possible. The tighter your sawing, the less need for paring, and the less chance of errors creeping in. To achieve such close tolerances, use a chisel to chamfer a fence for your saw.

chiselingfence.jpg

Before removing any waste, take the time to mark out which areas are to be removed. If you look carefully at the through dovetail end of the drawer below, you will see a cut into the tail! I caught myself just in time. Dang spatial difficulties!

I prefer to remove waste with a fretsaw/jeweller's saw than chop it out. A recommendation made to me was to add a twist to the blade so that you do not experience the limitation I show here of how deep into a board a standard fretsaw can cut.

Removewastewithfretsaw.jpg

When paring the waste, place the board side-on. This will more easily allow you to see whether you are not holding the chisel over the vertical line . Aim for a slight undercut for a tight fit at the baseline.

Pareside-onforvertical1.jpg

If you find it difficult to judge vertical, then place a square alongside the chisel.

Pareside-onforvertical2.jpg

If you need to chop out waste in hardwood, a guide fence can aid in maintaining even baselines. Note that this is not a vital tool – practice makes one unnecessary. However these are excellent jigs.

Choppinghardwood.jpg

When transferring tails to pins, many use a handplane to rest the tail board. I find that this can easily cause the board to move, which will affect the accuracy of the marking. Accurate marking is all-important for accurate sawing.

I made a “Rest Block” out of pine scrap onto which I glued 240 grit sandpaper (on two opposite sides – one as a non-slip for the board, and the other as a non-slip for the bench).

Restblockcombo.jpg

Always transfer marks with a knife. For tight tails you will need a thin bladed knife.

Thinbladefornarrowdovetails.jpg

Prior to joining the boards pare a chamfer on the backs of the tails before wacking them into the pins. This takes two seconds to do and makes the join a smoother process.

Chamferbacksoftails.jpg

When joining boards, especially when they are hardwood, add a clamp to the pin board to prevent the ends splitting. I close up gaps with a wedge-shaped block.

Joiningboardscombo.jpg

Plan the grain direction so that you are able to plane away from the edge of the face board.

Lastlap-dovetails1.jpg

Here is a recent drawer I built. These dovetails all went saw cut to saw cut …

Drawer.jpg

A close-up of the through dovetails …

Lastlap-dovetails4.jpg

And a close-up of the half blind dovetails …

Lastlap-dovetails3.jpg

Happy dovetailing!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's a few of mine, secret mitred:

11fgw3r-1.jpg

through in some of Paulm's spalted sycamore:

sfger.jpg

and some through dovetails:

p88.jpg

in burr elm - Rob

May I be the first to congratulate you on a fantastic short tutorial. I am as far to the beginner end of dovetails as it's possible to get, but I found the photos and advice excellent. As it happens, I also failed to understand the grief Mr Cosman was receiving for demonstrating a talent for hand control, and considerable restraint in his response. Thanks to both of you. Now, as soon as I finish my nightshift, I have a date with some walnut, a piece of maple, a Kell DT marker and a pair of gorgeous Wenzloffs :)

cheers,
Adam

A lot of effort involved in that post, thanks Derek. I must say I prefer Mike's method tho. Much more refined IMHO :D

A very detailed tutorial Derek.

I agree with the comments on not balancing the board on the edge of a plane. This is my solution - the hollow form allows you to get some clamps in there to hold the boards in place.

4293640936_852ecd8114.jpg

Ed

Very useful Derek, thanks......and yes.......go on..........show us :)

Davon

Bookmarked, thanks Derek.

I dont think I have ever done dovetails unless pins and tails were evenly sized so looking forward to the spring to follow your tutorial.

A few comments...

Dovetail joints are so much stronger than they need to be (in most instances) that you have very wide aesthetic latitude on angle.

Nice driveby on the Preston square!

Marking the second board from the first board can be nicely done using mitre clamps.

The tool you call a "fret saw" is more usually known (in the UK at least) as a "piercing saw", (or more rarely "jewellers saw").

This is a fret saw:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

BugBear

After all the criticism levelled at Rob Cosman's dovetails (a guy I think is terrific, by the way), perhaps we should see some examples from the forum members!! :shock:
Come now, Derek, that's a tad disingenuous. Either that or I think you should know someone was using your name on Sawmill Creek... :wink: Anyway, nice compilation of tips and tricks, Derek. Cheers.

To help, or start, some along the way, here are a few strategies for producing tight dovetails that I have found useful. The idea here is to add your own and build up as many useful tips as possible.
fwiw, rather than a full on jig with clamping down and so forth, to aid my total inability to judge whether a chisel is truly plumb or not, I use a wee block of hardwood, squared up and held against the back of the chisel. e.g. Doesn't get in the way like even the smallest square tends to, but reassures me I'm not making a total Horlicks of the thing.

Like the rest block thingy, but how on earth do you resist using it as a handy sanding device? I just know I'd give into temptation (Yes, a weak and untidy bench user, I know. Learn better habits. You're right) BB's favourite tip* for holding the work is the old mitre clamp trick. Fiddly to set up for most things I reckon, but worth it for wider stuff.

And from both those pics you can see I'm easily resisting the urge to show-off my dovetails. Should have had a coupla closer tails at the corners, I know. But heavens, that old pine was a terror and I was glad to see the back of it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*See? Told you. He beat me to the post though; I had to find the pic.

Hi Alf

I do use BB's trick for wider boards (such as a cabinet). It is not one that is easily used on boxes or drawers, hence I did not include it at the time of writing. Here it is to add to the list ...

Newshopcabilnet1.jpg

Ahh, with regard my post to Rob Cosman on SMC, it was tongue-in-cheek, and Rob responded well to this. Actually my underlying concern when I first viewed the video was the same as yours, that is, that some neophyte may take it seriously and see this as an impossible standard. Rob replied that it was just a bit of fun (when I accused him of using "cheese") and promised a video using real wood. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Something that just occurred to me about the RC video is much like watching Norm on TV. It gets people interested an enthused. You'd hope that they'd then seek out information like what's in this thread to learn how to do it. Just like I quickly realised I couldn't make a Federal Game Table in 30mins :D

I like that a lot, its got 'made by hand' written all over it, horses for courses I suppose-some of the very fine examples I've seen on here look a wee bit 'machined', I'm not knocking them tho', they are mesmerising to the eye-but equaly so is yours Sim

Well, I'm a professional bench joiner and if it was for a proper job, it would have been a router and jig job. But the whole point of me doing things at home is for me to take my time with hand tools so I can learn to be as good without machines, as I can be with machines.

Apart from getting tidier, the other thing I learn't from doing that box was that, the joints need to be left 'hanging over' so you can properly cut and clean them up flush.

Back