Stopped Grove Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GizmoDuck

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, all.

I'm thinking of a box with a bottom in a grove, and with proud decorative dovetails.

Because of the proud tails the bottom's grove will need to be stopped at both ends.

I have that plough plane I mentioned in another thread that I'm learning on, but can I use that?

The simplest thing would be grove the entire board then cut the sides, front and back from it, but that would have all components with a through grove.

How would all of you make four stopped groves?

How would all of you make four stopped groves?
I wouldn't. Mitre the corners to hide the groove, see below. If you don't do that you have to either make a little infill piece to fill the groove where it shows on one face, or modify the cutting of the joint to incorporate a small pin or peg to fill the groove. Slainte.

DovetailCarcaseMitre.jpg

Box-Lid-5-700px-web.jpg

I wouldn't. Mitre the corners to hide the groove, see below. If you don't do that you have to either make a little infill piece to fill the groove where it shows on one face, or modify the cutting of the joint to incorporate a small pin or peg to fill the groove. Slainte.

Thanks, however, the tails are going to be proud.

Or, as we were taught, chisel out the end of the groove first then plane into the cut out.

I may give that a go, though my plough seems to really struggle cutting a grove in short pieces for some reason, so I might try do it all with a chisel.

However, I'd have to figure out the walls as I won't be able to run a saw along them

On a small piece like a box side I would use a cutting gauge or knife to mark the sides of the groove then chop it all out with a chisel. It doesn't take as long as you might think.

When I have problems with my plough plane not running smoothly it is usually that the iron is not sharp or the fence is not parallel.

Thanks, however, the tails are going to be proud.
Mitring the corners where the groove would show wouldn't stop you making the end of the pins and tails proud: there wouldn't be either a tail or a pin in the same place as the groove. Slainte.

Back