mahogany tool box and chisel tray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
evening gents, i just finished this box made from mahogany (old drawer sides) and while i was at it i made a chisel tray for the chisels i want at hand when ever i do woodwork. this was just a bit of fun so i could practise lapped dovetails, im happy with the consistency i get now, tho i would of liked to make the pins smaller.... So its on to hounds tooth dovetails next. my plan is to get my skills up so im ahead of the class when i go back to college :) comments welcome, cheers TT

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,030
  • FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,031
  • FullSizeRender[2].jpg
    FullSizeRender[2].jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,031
  • FullSizeRender[3].jpg
    FullSizeRender[3].jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,031
  • IMG_5306.JPG
    IMG_5306.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,031
Thank you nolegs, I appreciate your comment. Can't believe no one else has said a word.. I won't waste my time again!
TT

Apologies for my last comment! :oops:

Looks great, I hope you wore a mask as mahogany is notorious for causing nasty illnesses.
I look forward to seeing the next project

dont feel like that TT
it is holiday time for lots of people

that is imho a really nice tool box
and the dovetails are great
attention to detail worth the extra effort
Steve

Some of us were at CCD Cheltenham and whilst nearly all of the designs were amazing, some of the execution wasn't - as yours are. It's nice to have others appreciate your work, but often the lack of comments mean the lack of criticism!

Nice dovetails TT.

I am trying to work out a design for a box for 12 chisels, that opens like a book and stands up at an angle on the bench.
Its to hold this lot
And a few more like my 2" one.

Pete

I appreciate the feed back, I'm allways looking to improve my skills. There are things I would do differently next time but learnt a lot from this build.

Maby I lost my head when I posted my comment but, i seen hundreds of comments on planes, sharpening and God knows what else, I felt that what I've done was regarded as nothing.

Pete, your idea sounds interesting, magnets would be of use to stop the tools falling out ect, look forwards to seeing the finished product. You have any sketches so far?

Thanks
TT

Hi TT
No firm ideas so far probably something in birch ply like these boxes.

But double sided and some form of a prop or angled bottom to hole it at an angle.
I don't want to use magnets as I don't want magnetised chisels but I will need some way of holding the chisels in.

Pete

Nice job, TT.
As said earlier, don't be sad about lack of comments - I for one am just back from holiday and always try to give feedback if requested.
Keep up the good work.
Greg

Really nice, TT.

Only just read this thread, so don't assume we don't appreciate good work. In my case my own efforts tend to be so rubbish in comparison, I often steer clear of this section in case I get demoralized by others' great pieces!

Keep going, and posting too.

E.

Nice DTs - really look crisp.

In terms of bit of constructive criticism, looking at the finished project the lid 'looks' heavy to me, I'd be temped to chamfer the top quite a bit (1/4" x 3/4") to give it a bit of angle to lighten the look. Also, are the hinges recessed enough, looks like the rear of the lid sat a little proud but it may be the angle of photo?

Overall, nice job though as said by others.

Simon

tobytools":39sj8ulp said:
Maby I lost my head when I posted my comment but, i seen hundreds of comments on planes, sharpening and God knows what else, I felt that what I've done was regarded as nothing.

I do find it odd that so many people are polishing their tools, but very few seem to actually make anything :lol:

(and I'm as guilty as anyone else, I rarely post my own activities in this section :oops: )

SVB":crx2t68m said:
Nice DTs - really look crisp.

In terms of bit of constructive criticism, looking at the finished project the lid 'looks' heavy to me, I'd be temped to chamfer the top quite a bit (1/4" x 3/4") to give it a bit of angle to lighten the look. Also, are the hinges recessed enough, looks like the rear of the lid sat a little proud but it may be the angle of photo?

Overall, nice job though as said by others.

Simon

The top is only 12mm thick or something like that, but I see what you mean and I may chamfer the edge. I'll go have a look at it tonight and reassess.
Well spotted about the hinges. They are Set into the box but not enough, I think the barral is to far forwards to ill have to sort that out too.

Thanks for the constructive comments.
I'm thinking of adding a lock and some handles. Where would be a good place to get these? (Brass)
Thanks
TT

The normal suspects do ok box hardware that will work well in this application.

However, if you want really top quality (or are interested in box making etc) Andrew Crawford is well worth looking at both for his veneered boxes and also hardware he has designed and now sells.

http://smartboxmaker.com/smarthinge-2/

Simon.

Racers":373gnon7 said:
Hi TT
No firm ideas so far probably something in birch ply like these boxes.

But double sided and some form of a prop or angled bottom to hole it at an angle.
I don't want to use magnets as I don't want magnetised chisels but I will need some way of holding the chisels in.

Pete

Have you thought about using little Velcro pads stuck to the shoulder of the irons?

Gorgeous dovetails btw TT (hammer)

Tidy TT, very tidy. I only saw this as I was about to post some of my rubbish. I think I gave you some love via FB though so it aint all bad :)

Back