Magnifier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a flexible stand mounted magnifier to assist in fine work like saw filing.
Searching the web, they seem to come in different magnifications like 1.5x, 5x etc. etc.
Can anybody recommend a suitable magnification please?

Rod :?

You might prefer an inexpensive pair of reading glasses, (assuming you already have good close up eyesight) ; optically correct, in strengths up to 3D (diopters) they are often to be found in bargain supermarkets like Lidl and other 'value' outlets at around £1 a pair. At that price I used to leave pairs in strategic places. Tesco sell a similar range for somewhat more money - around a fiver. This gives you the advantage of trying first. For really close examination, like reading an engineering vernier scale or sharpening your dovetail saw, the 3D strength will give a good and comfortable view from about 6" range.

If you already wear glasses, Tilgear do a handy flip up clip-on that clips over your usual pair, as clip on sunglasses do, flips up for normal viewing, and adds 3D when you need it by flipping down. Optical effect as above. About a fiver +VAT. Opticians may have these, but will charge quite a bit more, I expect. I now use these over occuapational varifocals (a big improvement over the standard varifocals, by the way)

There's a 75mm dia. 5x magnifier sitting on the desk here; it needs to be held about 60mm above the object to be examined, which cuts out a lot of light, but enlarges it to about twice normal size but with a field of view of under 40mm dia.. Other strengths pro rata. Specs interfere much less with the work. It's dificult to quantify their magnification, as you are viewing from different distances - effectively probably about 11/2 times. Large dia. magnifiers will distort the view considerably; bend straight lines for eg unless of astronomical price. Glasses less problematic in this regard.

Cut a dash of precision woodwork, and wear your flip ups whilst examing your dovetails. Way cool (as I think the grandchildren still say)

ypu could try one of the head mounted flip down magnifiers

and shesto do a decent one.

try their site sorry can't remember the address.

paul :wink:

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Have ordered the Proops Bros special offer @ £6.95.

Shesto do the flip ups at £8.95 plus VAT - might order a pair if I cannot get some locally.

If I cannot get on with them then it's a big price hike to stand mounted ones at £50?

Rod

you're right philly they are good things tobuy.

the advice though is to see what threads they have, then see whether you can buy a "blue" daylight bulb to go in. make a whole difference to your viewing 8)

That's a good price and I have a MM only a few miles away - will have a look.

Thanks

Rod :)

The lamp has a round "normal" flouresant tube.
I have seen, on the web, other more expensive ones with daylight versions so providing they are the same size it should be possible to get a replacement?

Rod

ivan":bngj30dw said:
snip
I now use these over occuapational varifocals (a big improvement over the standard varifocals, by the way)
snip
What's the difference? I asked my optician to put my varifocals a bit higher than standard to give me more close up use. Is that the sort of thing you mean?
I'm getting a new pair soon and at £250 I want to get them right!

cheers
Jacob

lurker, sorry thought people knew that flourescent tubes have a starter to activate them. same applies with mag flouros. 8)

Having used both a headband magnifier and a magnilight, my preference is for the headband version. I can also recommend Ivan's suggestion of cheap reading glasses. I use a number of strengths in lieu of magnifiers for miniature work. There is the added advantage that it saves my prescription reading glasses from workshop damage such as cellulose sanding sealer on the lenses (saves a lecture from SWMBO).

I notice that Axminster are now selling fairly cheap safety reading glasses. Has anyone tried these?

Willow

Latest posts

Back