MacBook

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter has just baught a MacBook...very nice :) I want a big desk top Mac now :) chance of getting one at the moment...nil :cry: - Rob

I moved to mac in Feb and have to say im converted. Hate using PC s at work now they seem so awkward and slow.

I'm a mac man myself Rob. Changed over around a year ago and would never go back. Mightn't take you too long to get your hands on one if you keep belting out top class marking knives like the one my post man delivered recently :wink:
Neil

neilc":22dajlnn said:
I'm a mac man myself Rob. Changed over around a year ago and would never go back. Mightn't take you too long to get your hands on one if you keep belting out top class marking knives like the one my post man delivered recently :wink:
Neil
Hi Neil - thanks for that, glad you liked the marking knife...might need to make 'few' 8-[ though to buy a Mac - Rob

mac%20vs%20pc%207.jpg

i converted to a macbook pro around 6 months ago, expensive but worth it :)

seanybaby":26jz0plg said:
You actually mean you hate using Microsoft!
Quite.

As to the Mac - the most un-intuitive and over priced personal computer I've used.

Dave

Dave S":2sz0n6px said:
seanybaby":2sz0n6px said:
You actually mean you hate using Microsoft!
Quite.

As to the Mac - the most un-intuitive and over priced personal computer I've used.

Dave

Long term windows user im guessing?

I use both, they both have there querks, and are pretty much as easy to use as each other.
Out of the box though I do think Macs are more userfrendly with all the cool built in software that windows is lacking, or is next to pointless using. That said, they are more expensive, and are useless at playing games (if your into that sort of thing)

mattyd":1zbqcm5h said:
...... That said, they are more expensive, and are useless at playing games (if your into that sort of thing)

But you're not applying 'Total Cost of Ownership'. For a kick-off, I'm still using a G4 Mac that is nearly 8 years old but because Apple constantly improve the OS, it still ticks along quite nicely. My sense is that with PCs you need to buy a more powerful one much more frequently.

Then you need to factor in the added value of the included software. Plus just how much CPU overhead ...ie wasting your time...while all those AV goodies are running.

Then factor in the emotional load of 'my computers behaving funnily...maybe I've got a virus..better get it checked out. Another waste of your time!

I agree about the games.

mattyd":178gqfc6 said:
Long term windows user im guessing?

Yes, I am but... I first used a Mac in the mid-eighties, long before anyone had heard of Microsoft.

First used Windows in '91 and Linux in about '94. I still use both (the latter on some quite out-of-date hardware, at times) and wouldn't choose a Mac over either of them.

Still find Macs unintuitive. :?

Dave

I'm not going to say overrated rubbish, I'm not...

I love macs. They suit my brain. OSX has experienced a lurch towards windoid illogical annoyance but its still got the edge for me.

Desktop mac? I used one at work for years. Had one at home but finally replaced it with a MacbookPro and haven't looked back.

its one of "those" threads again :roll: :wink:

I`m sure everyone knows my position.

Everyone goes on about how over priced macs are, when you actually look at the price of a similar spec pc they are quite comparable (I`ve looked very recently into this)
The important bit here is "similar spec". No point comparing apples to oranges.
You need to compare a macbook pro to a PC with
1) same processor
2) same memory (size and speed)
3) same screen quality (there is a VAST difference in LCD screen types/quality)
4) same IO
5) same battery capacity
6) same software capabilities.

what most people do is look at a macbook pro and say "thats expensive I can get this Dell for 1/2 the price). I GUARANTEE its not the same spec machine.
Fine , don't go to the Porsche garage complaining you can get a Ford focus for cheaper.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

I use macs, linux and windoz daily. Each has problems, each is good at specific applications
1) macs - good everyday computing, web-browsing, email and media "playing" (photos, video editing etc)
2) linux - good for number crunching, running my work simulations and transcoding video (processor spends most of its time doing useful calculations rather than rendering eye candy on the screen)
3) windoz - forced into using for documentation purposes.

macs do tend to use old hardware (not on the bleeding edge), but that is starting to change. The Mac pros are actually very good value for money for a workstation class machine (server in a desktop case). If you want pricey hardware check out SUN :cry:

oh and I`ll echo whats already been said, my G4 mac is still going strong after 4/5 years. Its easily outlasted any pc I`ve had and its the first machine I`ve ever had that gets FASTER when an OS update is issued/patched. Its never had to be formatted and re-installed, never, and it gets some abuse!

my 2p`s worth, I`m sure it`ll come up again some time......

Steve

ps long live free software, die MS die! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back