Remember your first....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes! The good old days. Dangerous working practices, racial discrimination, sexism, bullying. Didn’t do me any harm 🤪
Or as it was then, banter, joke and a laugh and leg pulling. All done in gest. To much oversensitive reactions and politically correct brigade today.

One of my first jobs was in the factory of a famous Christmas cracker factory in Norwich. One of my duties was to take supplies (plastic toys, the "riddle papers" and the cracking part) from the stores to the shop floor which was pretty much staffed by "ladies". I was only about 15, but even then well over 6 feet tall so you can maybe imagine the cat-calling I used to get from all sides.
Whistling from builders to women walking past pale into insignificance compared to the behaviour of those cracker makers.

One of my first jobs was in the factory of a famous Christmas cracker factory in Norwich. One of my duties was to take supplies (plastic toys, the "riddle papers" and the cracking part) from the stores to the shop floor which was pretty much staffed by "ladies". I was only about 15, but even then well over 6 feet tall so you can maybe imagine the cat-calling I used to get from all sides.
Whistling from builders to women walking past pale into insignificance compared to the behaviour of those cracker makers.

Did you get pulled? :sneaky:

I was a photocopier repairman and would occasionally get called in to replace a broken platen glass due to the machine being used for "unorthodox" copying. Paper jams deep in the bowels of the machine could not be retrieved by the operator, some of these had interesting images of extra-curricular activities. All part of office life in the 1970s.

Been there. It was the PCB assembly area in our factory. As an apprentice right from school at 16 it was quite a welcome to the world experience.

At age 12 or thereabouts I had a morning paper run - around 60 newspapers that we loaded into bags on our bikes and delivered to subscribers around the neighbourhood. Pick up time at the depot was 6am, so still very dark in winter. From our house to the depot was about 2km and down a dead straight road, not steep but just enough of an incline that you could coast the whole way without pedalling. It was out of bed, get dressed and onto the bike and I swear I used to do that incline in my sleep because one morning I rode into the back of the milk man's truck. Fortunately my front wheel went under the tray of his truck so no damage to my bike but my handlebar did bowl all the bottles he had put on the edge of the deck ready for his little hand crate. The noise of all the shattering glass was pretty loud in the early morning as were the milkman's screamings about my parentage and all the unkind things he was going to inflict on me should he ever catch me. That was my fastest bicycle getaway ever.

At age 12 or thereabouts I had a morning paper run - around 60 newspapers that we loaded into bags on our bikes and delivered to subscribers around the neighbourhood. Pick up time at the depot was 6am, so still very dark in winter. From our house to the depot was about 2km and down a dead straight road, not steep but just enough of an incline that you could coast the whole way without pedalling. It was out of bed, get dressed and onto the bike and I swear I used to do that incline in my sleep because one morning I rode into the back of the milk man's truck. Fortunately my front wheel went under the tray of his truck so no damage to my bike but my handlebar did bowl all the bottles he had put on the edge of the deck ready for his little hand crate. The noise of all the shattering glass was pretty loud in the early morning as were the milkman's screamings about my parentage and all the unkind things he was going to inflict on me should he ever catch me. That was my fastest bicycle getaway ever.

I can see Eamonn now, clutching his famous red book, saying "You haven't seen him for 40 years, but he's here tonight..." :giggle:

Back