what to use on this top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullap

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , This is my first project, A wine rack painted to match my daughters kitchen, She loves it but the top is American white oak , and I varnished it. she said it is too shinny :cry:, any suggestions on what to do now, I was thinking of sanding it all off and oiling it, but if what with?.

Attachments

• finished wine rack.jpg
    finished wine rack.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Sand it off, then use Osmo worktop oil - I would do two or three coats and give it a light 240grit sand in between…

Used that a year ago on our oak worktops in kitchen and utility and they still look great - easy to top up in the future if necessary

Scotchbrite and then wax will give a nice satin finish.Wire wool can be used if thats what you have.Use masking tape on any adjoining surfaces that you like the current look of.

Scotchbrite and then wax will give a nice satin finish.Wire wool can be used if thats what you have.Use masking tape on any adjoining surfaces that you like the current look of.
Not sure about using wire wool. I believe it may react with the tannic acid in the oak.

then use Osmo worktop oil

That seems to be the stock in trade answer these days for just about everything :LOL: But TBH it's getting a bit boring. Yeah hard wax oil is ok, but I'd personally look to something like a nice thick varnish.

Not sure about using wire wool. I believe it may react with the tannic acid in the oak.

Excellent. That will add a new dimension to it :D

You mean a varnish like the one coming off?! 😀

No, I think he said he was thinking of sanding it off, and you can simply dull down the finish from gloss to matt if gloss is too much.

Varnish is better for a knock resistant coating than osmo, which isnt a knock resistant anything.

In the world of very high end furniture, and fittings/fixtures such as seen on big yachts, a finish might have 30+ levels of finish, from very glossy to very matt.

Last edited:
That may be the case if you rub through the varnish but if you only rub it until the gloss comes off,it shouldn't have any effect.Brass wool would avoid the issue and I prefer Scotchbrite in any case.Why do we believe all the varnish needs to come off in order to change the finish?

Thanks for the help, Just sanded it off and coated with Osmo work top oil Matt, Cant wait till it dries so I can see the result, I will post the result.

Varnish is better for a knock resistant coating than osmo, which isnt a knock resistant anything.

Not in my experience ! Varnish chips, Osmo worktop oil seems to take pretty much anything thrown at it and easily fixed as others have said.

All finishes have their place but for American white oak in a kitchen, osmo oil every time.

I would overcoat in a satin polyurethane varnish rather than gloss.

Geez. Youth! When my father made us stuff we were overjoyed he’d spent his precious time and effort to help us. We would never have dreamt of suggesting a finish was a bit shiny. My answer to my kids would be if you don’t like it, change it yourself and next time buy one : make it yourself rather than bothering me!

Hi Now given this top 3 coats of osmo work top oil matt, Looks brilliant, Do I need to put anything else on it for protection,

Very Very pleased for the help

Back