MAC TIMBERS Open Day..... PHOTO UPDATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant day, it's a long way for us lot but worth every mile. I was so busy playing with planes and chatting with everyone that I didn't get one single pic, but a good spread above. I don't know if there are more pics of Oliver's planes but he is a very class act indeed - choice of materials, design and geometry, impeccable workmanship, and planes that are really excellent users. Truly TOP STUFF.
I'm in scraper plane mode just now, so Pete M's scaper plane was of great interest - works really well, very impressed. And RXHs small scraper is also outstanding - a really handy size for local 'correction' etc.
Many thanks to Richard A for provision of the essential bench, and a host of his fine planes (plus that amazing saw pic above - I sneaked a cut into the yew with it, a beauty).
The Tomes/Hendricks plane was on fine form - still too shiny to be able to adjust with vigour, but working a treat. And RXH's Silchester surprised anyone who tried it I think - far easier to use well than you may expect.
Got some nice carving chisels from Brian, some lovely sycamore from Mike - bits for planes and drills from Andy T (in your debt again Andy!). Thanks to all who brought great tools and gear along... a truly good day.

(and Mike - do you have Netflix - have you seen Peaky Blinders yet, that should cheer you up !!)

Agreeing with all of the above, yes it was a great day again, worth the long journey. Good to meet some familiar faces and some new ones - Bedrock, Sheffield Tony, RXH - and admire a huge range of wonderful tools, and even play with some.

Most of my photos are very similar to those already posted but here are some more any way:

20141130_151525_zpsabd9e16c.jpg

A fine Roman plane being admired

20141130_150216_zps9f2cab7b.jpg

Emma pleased to see a very special plane

20141130_110932_zps5f524f0e.jpg

A challenge to float makers from Andy Tools n' Tat's awesome collection

20141130_112311_zps54367410.jpg

which featured a fleet of Norrises and this lovely little tool box containing various items in mint condition

20141130_104740_zpsd3a8c87b.jpg

Two extreme ends of plane design and manufacture - one of Racers's exquisite shoulder planes alongside a rather more 'agricultural' plough plane.

And to me, this sums up the day rather nicely: the teacups have been washed up and put away; the other demonstrators have packed their stuff back into their cars, but the cluster round Richard's bench has not yet run out of interesting questions and opinions and needs just a bit more time for chat!

20141130_154703_zps802a26eb.jpg

PS - thanks to Pete for the delicious jam and to Jim for the chisel - which was a size I did not already have!

Certainly a collection of the cream of the craft, great to see the quality of creative effort some folks put into exploring the art and performance of the ultimate wood wrangler.

Thanks for the images, certainly brightens up the autumnal day for those of us unable to make the journey to such gatherings.

Thanks Andy, I was wondering if any one had tried it yet.

Now down to about 50 jars!

Pete

Wow, thankyou all for the pictures and lettin us share this meeting from oversea.

20141130_145826.jpg

Richard...I will message Pedder for you and link you in to discuss the copy...it's got to be worth it...stunning mate!
I think, I
've seen this saw before at the 'bay. Wonder if she will saw with the rotten blade in the handle. Often seen at old saws. The blade in the handle is out of reach for mutton tallow , i think. Beautiful indeed, and pretty long for a back sawof this age.

Cheers
Pedder

toolsntat":37sel8am said:
Yes, Ollie has some great designs and when matched with his exacting workmanship the results are amazing =D> =D>

Not sure if he is 100% going but hopefully one of the countries few hand made cricket bat makers David Wall can make it after we told him about the event :idea:
http://www.whitewillowcricket.co.uk/pod-shaver/
And not forgetting the tools :wink: http://www.whitewillowcricket.co.uk/cat ... and-tools/

Andy

Andy, it's a shame I missed this. I've had to turn my attention to cricket bats in preparation for next year and I'm having to redesign my website even though I don't really know what I'm doing.

Some amazing tools on show in the photos.
David

It was an excellent day out - really great to meet so many knowledgeable, talented and interesting people. Thanks to all for the kind comments and particular thanks to:
- Pete for the jam,
- Jimi for the plane blade and for bringing the famous TH plane for us to see,
- Douglas for doing the driving.

I echo all the comments. A brilliant day and well worth the trip from Hampshire.
Ollie's planes are an absolute delight visually and practically, and I can only wish him every success.
The precision of every detail, even when it is out of sight, was staggering.
Pete - I never had the opportunity to say a proper thank you for the pot of blackberry jam, on the day, but it is very much appreciated.

Regards
Mike

Hi folks.
Just wanted to say what a lovely day I had on Sunday.
Life is a bit stressful at the moment, but thanks to everyone who came along, I could escape from everything for a short while, and you will never know how important that was for me.
I would also like this opportunity to thank Mike and Rene for hosting these events. Without them none of this would be possible.
The sheer quantity, and quality of the planes on display that day was astounding, and it is great to see how healthy the "sport" of plane making is at the moment.
On that note I feel it is worth noting that without the wonderful work of one man in a humble garden shed, I doubt that hardly any of those planes seen on Sunday would have ever been made. I am of course talking about the "God father" of modern British plane making, Bill Carter.
Bill has been there right from the start, and has never held back any of the knowledge and experience he has gained over all these years. I feel we all owe him a great debt.
This Sunday is likely to be a bit quieter for me, but I'm looking forward to a couple of slices of toast, with a nice new pot of jam, and a lot of happy memories from last week.
Cheers, Richard.

Sadly no pics of Oliver's planes forthcoming (unless the maker will come forth) but found his old blog slightly by accident. Really worth a look, the 2012 entries in particular. http://sparksdesignermaker.blogspot.co.uk

Now my internet is back up and I don't have to read the frum by phone ...

What a good day it was on Sunday; it was great to meet so many you at one go. I think it's so much better being able to picture the people you're talking with on-line. My apologies to anyone disappointed that I didn't look more like Fred Dibnah !

Good also to see so many shiny planes. Particularly interesting was rxh's Silchester plane - surprisingly easier to use than I had expected. I think we just need to find out how the ergonomics of those Roman planes with two handles work out in practice :wink:

I hope will be repeated next year. Unfortunately it clashed with Wales beating South Africa at rugby and they wouldn't have won if I'd gone to play with wood......or would they? We will never know.

By the way, well done England rugby.

Latest posts

Back