MAC TIMBERS Open Day..... PHOTO UPDATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I just posted a link in the event's forum section...

HERE

I thought I would post it on the HAND TOOLS forum as well as I know some may not visit the event section very often (me included! :oops: )

The Kent mob will be going...all being well...and I have been in touch with Mike and he will get back to me with details on who will be showing.

I hope the usual suspects are there.....Richard...Andy....?

I shall be bringing a plane along to try out! :wink:

Jimi

Anybody in Gtr Manchester wanna go half's on a tank of petrol ?

Otherwise I'm a no, grrrr

Hi all.
I will be attending Mike's next open day, and I will bring along the bench for some form of demonstration, so if anyone needs to try out any special planes that might make an appearance :wink: the bench and a suitable bit of wood will be on hand.
Cheers, Richard

I might come just to see what MPG I can get from my new (to me) car.

Pete

For those of us in far off lands Jimi , I hope that you'll be bringing one of those image retaining and transferal devices with which you are so talented. Any others who take photos as well , too far for me to swim I fear.

lanemaux":nxhbxcm1 said:
For those of us in far off lands Jimi , I hope that you'll be bringing one of those image retaining and transferal devices with which you are so talented. Any others who take photos as well , too far for me to swim I fear.

Yup...will be taking some pictures mate...we'll make you feel as if you were there in person...

Cheers

Jimi

Just a quick update.
I spoke to Bill and Sarah Carter at the David Stanley auction on Friday, and they have confirmed that they will be at Mikes next Sunday. :D . I also spoke to a new plane maker called Oliver Sparks who is also hoping to come along. If you want to check out the sort of thing he makes he now has a web site http://oliversparks.co.uk/.
If folks want to try any of the planes out, my bench will be available. I don't tend to use many exotic timbers myself, so if anyone fancies bringing along some challenging bits of wood it might make it more interesting :lol:
Cheers, Richard

Thanks Richard...this is wonderful news!!

dscn3987_med.jpeg

...gotta see this!!!

Thanks for the offer of the use of the bench....most helpful!

Should be a great day!

Jimi

Some photos

Hand made planes.

The master keeps a close eye on the student :lol:

Andy (tools&tat) planes (some of!)

Walnut.

You would think he would have got the hang of it by now

I had a great time, much talk was talked, much wood was planed.

Pete

Cheers Pete...it was indeed a great day.

I actually had a major brain overload after all of the wonderful things to see...and the chat with so many of our brethren of this parish...a fantastic turnout indeed.

Richard A....thanks for the loan of your bench...you did make rather a mess...I hope you cleared it up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

20141130_120812.jpg

That will get you back for sneaking that nasty bit of yew from Mike! LOL!!

But I'm glad we stood to the challenge...

20141130_120835.jpg

There were so MANY highlights of today for me...so with one exception...in no particular order...

Richard H (rxh)...that Silchester plane reproduction was absolutely sublime mate....

20141130_115915.jpg

It was impressive in pictures but WOW...what a wonderful thing in the flesh...and did it perform superbly too...those Romans must have known a thing or two which was most interesting indeed....

20141130_120314.jpg

It attracted quite a bit of interest and that yew and some oak didn't stand a chance with that ancient design either did it?......

20141130_135159.jpg

And I didn't see one person with a toga...most disappointing that! :mrgreen:

A stunning plane and wonderful piece of education...

20141130_120247.jpg

...I heard a lot of discussion going on as to how to use it which was exactly what was intended.

Another highlight again from Richard H was this wonderful scraper plane...

20141130_135232.jpg

I think I'll be "borrowing" your plans on the base for this little darling...just what I need to have for a few jobs....and impressive bit of engineering my friend!

There was so much going on...your beautiful mitre nearly got obscured...but since it was the only picture I managed to get...I had to include it...

20141130_135512.jpg

The plane was sublime...and that engraving by Ian at CHALCO was stunning!

I am so glad that Ian was able to make the day...what a lovely guy he is...

20141130_135544.jpg

...and he was found deep in conversation with Bill Carter on many an occasion...this shot of them both discussing Bill's beautiful little boxwood planes!

Another highlight...this old 18th Century saw took some beating....

20141130_145826.jpg

Richard...I will message Pedder for you and link you in to discuss the copy...it's got to be worth it...stunning mate!

There were indeed so many interesting planes and other tools to play with that it was hard to know where to look...

20141130_150137.jpg

There were other shows going on too..from wood turning...to carving and some wonderful bowls and statues...and of course..the chance to get some tools from Brian and some wood from Mike...I got a bit! :oops:

But for me this picture sums up the best part of the day for me personally....

20141130_150218.jpg

Emma....I think we were..to a man...so happy to see you...even though you did see the A14 for most of the day...the time we did have to chat and remember was priceless.

Thank you...........

Great day..great people..and some stunning tools....I can't wait until next time!!

Jimi

Oh...and I forgot...I was so engrossed in talking to him and looking at his amazing planes...I didn't get any photos but the planes of Ollie Sparks...particularly this one

dscn3987_med.jpeg

....were astounding!

Ollie said he "lurks" here a lot...so I hope he will pipe up and post some more pictures and explain how he makes these fascinatingly beautiful planes...warts an' all eh Ollie!!! :mrgreen:

I loved the story about picking up the wrong spacer!!! Don't worry mate....we've all done that and cried copiously! :wink:

Jim

Thanks for the photos Pete and Jimi , looks like a mighty good time was had. Still wish I could have been there , but , seeing all those smiling faces and happy tool fondling will do til I catch lucky on a lottery and can do the travel thing. Again , thanks.

Latest posts

Back