Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StevieB":31inbrrw said:
i just investigating wheather it would be viable to start my own buisness as a side line

Erm, given the title and most of this thread is that someone has tried and failed, apparently multiple times, to do exactly what you are proposing, it would appears to be a difficult market to say the least. One of the main problems with big bits of kit, whether they are excellent or not, is that you do not get much repeat custom - people generally only want one tablesaw at a time! Excellent customer service may get you recommendations, but at 7-800 quid a pop a table saw is a big investment in the current global market. Given you have already got a price for single units, and not a huge amount less for bulk purchases, margins will be very tight - as Lyndhurst discovered I guess.

Steve.

what i had in mind if any one wants one, pay direct to manufacturer, pay me a small fee £50 or so to arrange shipping (bill direct to customer), hmrc, paper work etc from UK port, to your home, customs will bill u direct for imports duties etc, if i get 10 unit orders i then pass the saving onto the customer, takes the hassle out of the process for the indivual, but there will be a wait of upto 8 weeks for goods to be delivery, give you time to clean the workshop :D

i have worked out the table units will retail at £1100 - £1300 with optional wheel base to your door in this climate less if i order 10 +

best time to set up a buisness is a growing market, LOL

but for now i going to but one just for my xmas present

ciscoeuk":2husjhmq said:
StevieB":2husjhmq said:
i just investigating wheather it would be viable to start my own buisness as a side line

Erm, given the title and most of this thread is that someone has tried and failed, apparently multiple times, to do exactly what you are proposing, it would appears to be a difficult market to say the least. One of the main problems with big bits of kit, whether they are excellent or not, is that you do not get much repeat custom - people generally only want one tablesaw at a time! Excellent customer service may get you recommendations, but at 7-800 quid a pop a table saw is a big investment in the current global market. Given you have already got a price for single units, and not a huge amount less for bulk purchases, margins will be very tight - as Lyndhurst discovered I guess.

Steve.

what i had in mind if any one wants one, pay direct to manufacturer, pay me a small fee £50 or so to arrange shipping (bill direct to customer), hmrc, paper work etc from UK port, to your home, customs will bill u direct for imports duties etc, if i get 10 unit orders i then pass the saving onto the customer, takes the hassle out of the process for the indivual, but there will be a wait of upto 8 weeks for goods to be delivery, give you time to clean the workshop :D

i have worked out the table units will retail at £1100 - £1300 with optional wheel base to your door in this climate less if i order 10 +

best time to set up a buisness is a growing market, LOL

but for now i going to but one just for my xmas present

Its not April the 1st is it?

Cheers

Mike

9fingers":1vbt5utj said:
Bluekingfisher":1vbt5utj said:
All that is needed for the tablesaw is a motor, switch and 3" pulley and away you go. I was thinking someone has to have that kit lying about their garage or workshop and would therefore get a half decent saw for very little money.

I hope you have better luck than I'm having trying to sell both a table saw and a planer thicknesser that "just need a motor"

I've not found anyone prepared to put a little effort in by fitting a motor and get themselves some quality machines very cheaply. All too much trouble it seems.

Bob

to be fair bob i'd suggest that it seems like "just a little effort" to you because you do this kind of work all the time. Most of us are woodworkers not mechanics and speaking for myself would have no idea how to go about fitting a motor - especially to machines like yours which are attachments off another machine.

by the time one has paid out somewhere in the region of a ton for the motor then spent more on parts/tools/guarding to fit it , then spent several days faffing arround with the fitment, only to make a mediocre job of it - it starts to look anything but as cheap route .

Ciscoe
One more word of warning - a friend went down a similar path importing machines. He received damaged items in every shipment from the shipping - neither supplier or courier will accept blame, and you end up having to canibalise one machine out of a batch. Say goodnight to any hope of profit :lol:
So well worth keeping this in mind.
Philly :D

Philly":2ohao14h said:
Ciscoe
One more word of warning - a friend went down a similar path importing machines. He received damaged items in every shipment from the shipping - neither supplier or courier will accept blame, and you end up having to canibalise one machine out of a batch. Say goodnight to any hope of profit :lol:
So well worth keeping this in mind.
Philly :D

i was saving for a DEFT saw, as are no longer available here in the UK, which is a flipping shame,

thanks for the warning, but at present i am only importing 1 machine for my use, to see what happens to try out the systems in place, and hopfully get a decent machine, what my intention is to post all info on this forum so other members will have the benifit of my experiance & may wish to pursure there own machine imports and save some money in the process

i have the manufacturers details so i might as well use them! but with caution!!!

by the way i have found the manufact of the jet saw and tool brand they will ship direct to you without the jet logo

all the best

Bet they still can't ship the Jet (the machine with no name) for a better deal than I got mine for?.... Not gloating, but missing out on the DEFT was a blessing in disguise....What's for ya, won't get passed ya! \:D/

Bluekingfisher":3b7bqcmo said:
Bet they still can't ship the Jet (the machine with no name) for a better deal than I got mine for?.... Not gloating, but missing out on the DEFT was a blessing in disguise....What's for ya, won't get passed ya! \:D/

explain???

Hello woodworkers,

Again a new version from the Deft table saw, now in Australia,
the Carba-Tec 10" HD Left Tilt Saw Bench (CTH-110L)

This must be a really good table saw, I'm glad I have one in my shop. :)

Success with everything,

Schummie.

CTH-110L.jpg

It is a good tablesaw. Not the best, but good. Probably the best thing, is the price.

Schummie":1fg1nmy0 said:
Hello woodworkers,

Again a new version from the Deft table saw, now in Australia,
the Carba-Tec 10" HD Left Tilt Saw Bench (CTH-110L)

This must be a really good table saw, I'm glad I have one in my shop. :)

Success with everything,

Schummie.

CTH-110L.jpg

where do you import from and at what unit price?, look like a DEFT in sheeps clothing :) could be made by HArvEY in china?? i think

It certainly looks an impressive machine.

What I can't understand is why don't the importers of woodworking machinery in this country look at importing this type of machine instead of the lightweight, flimsy and ugly machines we have on offer.

We just seem to take what we get. No doubt the machines we have on offer are a lot cheaper for the importer to purchase and therefore a larger mark up, again rip off Britain, big mark up for little work.

Rant over!!

Price, I'd have thought.

Also, American style tablesaws are not very popular in UK base woodworking businesses. The European style is more popular. So any importer is largely supplying a very small hobby market.

Yes I understand that, but they still offer tat for the hobby market and charge business rates.

You are one yourself who confesses to currently owning a poor machine, would you not be prepared to to pay a hundred quid or so extra for the option of a more sturdy machine?

Ciscoeuk has just sent some pics of the new version Deft machines via email. I'm sure he'll gladly send you them too if you give him your email address.

Pretty impresive machines I have to say. Perhaps we could even encourage him to post them here for all to drool over.

Yes I would. I was looking on the Alibaba site that cisco posted earlier. The sheer volume of those cheap 10" machines, especially the very cheap ones, is immense.

I still can't make my mind up between three options actually. 1. The Fox\SIP style 2. The DEFT style or 3. Old Iron. I think my best bet is the Fox\SIP because it's essentially a large portable saw and with limited space in my workshop, that might be the best option. Tho going Old Iron would save me money and I could probably work around a full cabinet saw, the footprint doesn't differ much.

The new pics look even better, what with the additional bolt ons. The pictures will do them justice. The quality levels look superb.

The SIP/FOX models are the examples I am talking about, in my mind they fall some way short of the DEFT (wait till you see the pics) The look and feel inferior in every department and yet they are in the same price range as the DEFT.

Old Iron? you talking about a Wadkin AGS and the like? now, that's a saw.

ok all

i have decied to post pics of all units from harvey industries in a new post let close this one

wizer or phil could you make the new post a temp sticky for now ope to comments, i will also edit at alter date to add import rukes and rega and final cost of importing

I seen the SIP up close and I think it's a very nice machine indeed.

Old Iron refers to any old tablesaw, but probably a Startrite or Wadkin, tho the Wadkins all seem very large to me.

I've seen the SIP up close too, not my idea of quality, light gauge steel, plastics turn handles. If you wade through the ailaba site they are way down the scale, assuming they have put their goods in order of quality, which is the way it looked to me.

I think it's very important that a saw has a good quality fence, that is robust, functional and glides smoothly on the rail,. I haven't seen that on any saws in this price range for saws offered here. Perhaps I expect too much, but why not?

are you talking about this:

_32555__185668__.jpg

:?:

Forgetting price, I think this is a good quality saw. I think it's current price is way over the top.

Latest posts

Back