Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":1ciqmtu1 said:
I wasn't aware we disagreed on anything Cisco

It beggers belief why there is a sliding carriage on that saw. Why on earth did you buy it?

Pots and kettles?? :lol: :lol:

Bob

ciscoeuk":4fyxmnzs said:
One question I have to ask. If these Defts (including the clones) are so good why are so few companies importing them?

Cheers

Mike

to answer that part of the statement i can tell after doing some research, europe prefers to be suppled the sliding panel saws, but a lot of people just don't have room in the shop to fit the huge saws and opt for usa canada the DEFT style saws,

personally i prefer the deft style because it more versatile, and you can add on at your own pace and do a lot more that just cut sheet goods, with the sliding tables saw you are restricted to what you can do and the slide gets in the way

hope that answer a that point

If the buyer does not have room for a sliding table or does not want to use one, then surely he would just buy the non sliding table model?
These tables saws are not set up to use a sliding table straight out of the box, and are in fact once put together set to use the fence with both the left and right hand extension tables fitted.
Take my 12" model for instance, if you want to use a sliding table then you have to remove the standard tape measure, and apply the one supplied with the sliding table, which takes into account the different fence positions, and allows you to install both extensions on the right hand side.

Now you say that the Deft type machine is more versatile, so bearing in mind the above statement about not using the sliding table, can you explain to me why this is the case?

Also with the sliding table why are you stuck with cutting just sheet goods? With one pull of a latch my sliding table is removed and tucked away within 30 seconds.

You either buy or don't buy the sliding table model, I cannot see the problem :roll:

I maybe wrong here, but I think that the only clone where you have to have the sliding table is the Axminster model, but even then you do not have to fit it.

Cheers

Mike

Bluekingfisher":1g4wxzuv said:
If perhaps you had read the earlier post from wizer (I believe) probably down to cost and a bigger mark up for the importer.

As far as talking out of my hat goes I have used one, hence my opinion of them. You have not as you mentioned never used or perhaps even seen the Deft/Laguana/Grizzly so maybe it's your hat that's doing the talking.

If you are happy with your SIP that's great Mike, my comments were in reference to the poor quality we have on offer and that too has been identified by contribitors on this forum and else where.

I said that I have never used the Deft, but I never said that while in the US (for a number of months) I never used the original Big Grand Daddy of them all "the Delta Unisaw", or the one that they all try to copy. And to be perfectly honest I do not see much difference at all. When I say much difference, I am talking about the final cut being a good finish, and exactly the size I wanted it to be. And the fence is certainly as good as the Biesemeyer. When I say as good I mean it stays at 90 degrees to the blade. And as long as my SIP keeps doing all I ask of it then I am a very happy man.

Cheers

Mike

wizer":3iqvomvd said:
It beggers belief why there is a sliding carriage on that saw. Why on earth did you buy it?

agreement was ment as joke :oops:

i brought it because i need a tables quickly for a major job for the house for a temp fix and of course it was a cheap

i know i going to get blasted for that :wink:

Mike.C":205cgk2l said:
If the buyer does not have room for a sliding table or does not want to use one, then surely he would just buy the non sliding table model?
These tables saws are not set up to use a sliding table straight out of the box, and are in fact once put together set to use the fence with both the left and right hand extension tables fitted.
Take my 12" model for instance, if you want to use a sliding table then you have to remove the standard tape measure, and apply the one supplied with the sliding table, which takes into account the different fence positions, and allows you to install both extensions on the right hand side.

Now you say that the Deft type machine is more versatile, so bearing in mind the above statement about not using the sliding table, can you explain to me why this is the case?

Also with the sliding table why are you stuck with cutting just sheet goods? With one pull of a latch my sliding table is removed and tucked away within 30 seconds.

You either buy or don't buy the sliding table model, I cannot see the problem :roll:

I maybe wrong here, but I think that the only clone where you have to have the sliding table is the Axminster model, but even then you do not have to fit it.

Cheers

Mike

the point i trying to make is not every one wants sliding tables or felder type Machinery

9fingers":3tm4pwv2 said:
wizer":3tm4pwv2 said:
I wasn't aware we disagreed on anything Cisco

Pots and kettles?? :lol: :lol:

Bob

My point was that the Jet 315 is a site rip saw.

The problem is Mike, many of the saws are only sold with the sliding carriage now and you have to pay for the privelage, so if you have no need nor want of it, it either lies in a corner gathering dust or goes on ebay. Besides, the extention wing to replace the carriage does not come with the package, so additional cost again.

So, in your opinion then, having used the Unisaw, does the SIP compare anywhere near the Delta in workman ship and build quality... be honest now :norm:

Bluekingfisher":1xecny29 said:
The problem is Mike, many of the saws are only sold with the sliding carriage now and you have to pay for the privelage, so if you have no need nor want of it, it either lies in a corner gathering dust or goes on ebay. Besides, the extention wing to replace the carriage does not come with the package, so additional cost again.

So, in your opinion then, having used the Unisaw, does the SIP compare anywhere near the Delta in workman ship and build quality... be honest now :norm:

Sorry I know that there are companies selling the SIP with the sliding table included, but below you will find three links that I found in no time at all where the table is not included. On top of that the 2 side extensions DO come with the saw so there is no extra cost.
The only reason that I know a lot about these saws is I did a lot of research before buying mine.

Now to your question about the build quality of the Delta compared to the SIP, well I would be a liar if I tried to say that the SIP was anywhere near the build quality of the Unisaw. But that might be because I was star struck with my hero Norm using the same model :wink: Thats not to say that all the clones are as good as the Delta.
So ok I hold my hands up and agree the UNI is better than the SIP.

Cheers

Mike

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/sip01332.htm

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?opt ... edium=base

http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/tr ... d_SIP01332

i've always believed you pay for what you get, and get what you pay for,

for example

a few year back a brought a cheap drill from argos, for £10, i wish i had't bothered it burnt out within 10 uses, then brought a bosch drill, £69, the marked differance, in quality was undoutably better and i have still got it today, after hundreds of uses?

rant over :lol: :twisted:

wizer":8nlnsx62 said:
No I don't own the Record TS200 I own the Axi TS200 (equally a poor machine)

I haven't used the saw, But I'd played with it many times and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was poorly setup the few times I've seen it. But it just oozed cheap and nasty IMHO. I think a lot of these raving reviews for saws like both TS200's come from people who've never used a proper saw and don't really know what to expect. Also, I'm just not a fan of sliding tables on small saws. It doesn't make sense.

Hang on a minute, I've seen the SIP in the flesh as well... That has plastic all over it. And yet, you don't consider that to be 'cheap'?! :D All SIP gear is generally 'light trade' at best. Same with Record. Startrite would be their next step up.

I'd agree with your comment on the reviews, if you're only referring to the average forum member, here (still, I'm only counting one user of the Record saw...). I certainly hope it's not aimed at the magazines - otherwise, you'll have Nick, Andy and Ben to answer to!! :)

As said, sliding tables/carriages are an option. Even the best ones have their faults. For instance, the one on our SCM saw at college needs checking every once in a while and sawdust regularly gathers underneath.

Perhaps my dislike of the Record TS200 is the way it's been setup at the shows where I have seen it and at D&M's shop in Twickenham. When I've played with the SIP style saw, the fence is smooth gliding and the lock is both positive and simple to use. The table is substantial and blade changing is also simple. It feels like a proper solid tablesaw. The SIP name is a mixture of poor to standard quality. The doesn't mean they haven't hit the nail on the head with this model of tablesaw. I'm not sure what plastic has to do with it? The price is way OTT for this saw, but it's still a good saw. The Domino is way OTT in price, but that doesn't mean it's a bad tool. As far as I know the sliding table on the Record comes as standard and there is no option to have a solid table in it's place. For that reason alone, it's not for me. As I said above. Sliding tables on small table saws just don't make sense. A sliding table is really only useful when dealing heavily with board materials. I intend to work with both but learn more towards hardwood. FWIW, the sliding table on the SIP is FAR superior over the Record. It is basically a clone of the Sheppach style and if I wanted to have a sliding table on a hobby saw, then I'd want that one. Indeed, it'd be the deal decider for me. The ease of which it removes for storage makes it perfect for a hobby situation. Not having the room atm, I also like the fact that it can be upgraded later if needed.

Those magazine may well have given it good reviews and the users of these saws may well be happy with it, but my opinion (based on the integrated sliding table and the quality of the parts) is that it's not for me. I think it fails to fulfil it's purpose.

It would appear then, horses for courses, perhaps proves that of all the different saws available there are fans of each :-k Would that not suggest that perhaps there is room for more option, allowing us more choice. :wink:

Just a thought

This topic for me personally is similar to that of comparing Tv's and computers etc.

Everyone has an opinion about them, it's not always based on real use, biut an opinion all the same.
I'm currently in the market for a cast iron table saw, and I'm bewildered with the choice, and prices available.
Yet even the choice of cast iron is probably leaned towards because of forum members reviews, I guess in my head I just see longevity in cast iron more than ally, yet I've had an ally TS for 8 years now that I bought from B&Q, it was badged "Site" but made by Rexon, 250mm and an induction motor, and it's been great, so am I really making an informed choice, or being swayed by what others think?

I think it's more looking at what my old saw failed on, and with more experience, what I want my new one to do? but it's got to be at the right price, and that's the sticking point, if you think it's worth it, then probably best to go with your head............just like a Domino :lol: if not, wait. preferably for the January sales) :D

I think if you could line them up side by side, and see them operate, you could base it on that, but as we all know that rarely happens, we then make the purchase, and live with it :lol: and for me I rarely question it afterwards, because I don't know what it's competitors are like to live with anyway.
I think it's clear from what everyone says, the Unisaw is the "ONE" but we can't get them here so wher doomed.......... :cry:

So with that in mind..............which Tablesaw should I buy :lol: :p

Cheers

Jed

Jed, I returned two tablesaws in a period of 6 months some years ago and then purchased the Axminster AW10BS/// which I can say has done everything I have asked of it. Purchased a top end 60T blade which I even use for light ripping or the 24T blade that came with the tablesaw for raw rip work. Even used the sliding table last week for the first time and it did some mitres on end planks.

So if you are up for a T/S warm up Ax. and then wait for one of their offers to come through at a later date, might save you £100 + . :wink:

Just had contact from the delivery centre at Axminster, they will be delivering my JET 250 JTS next Tuesday.

Will report back on it when it comes. \:D/

thanks for the matt. But it's got non-standard mitre slots :lol:

Latest posts

Back