Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of all this I now have my tablesaw. It arrived on Tuesday bang on time when they said it would.

What a beaut it is, it came shrink wrapped and stacked on a pallet, including the extra cast iron extention wing and mitre gauge, brand new and boxed. I was under the impression that records suggested that some parts may be missing, so althoug slighty concerned at that point the photos that were emailed to me showed all the major parts were included. As it turned out only a couple of brackets for holding the rip fence when not in use and the arbor spaner were missing, so no dramas there I'll order them from Axminster just so the saw is 'complete'.

When I bought it iwas under the impression that it was an ex demo machine so although not expecting a flawless machine I was expecting some saw dust here and there. Not at all, when I took the shrink wrap off it was shinning like a shilling, I couldn't believe it, there just seemed so much kit for the money. The only problem is, I now have a sliding carriage and mitre attachment spare lol

So, I would just like to thank the boys at Brimark and Axminster tools for their support and customer service, it really does make the difference.

If anyone is interested, I'll load some pics on here when I get it all assembled.

Cheers

David

Bluekingfisher":2l4xmdev said:
If anyone is interested, I'll load some pics on here when I get it all assembled.

Cheers

David

hi david

would you post pics and a review of the table saw once you have had a chance to play?

i might consider a jet saw, the importing of a machine would be great but i holding off till the new VAT comes into play and see how the market plays out in jan

all the best

It appears, unless I have missed something that the Jet Supersaw (aka JTS 250) is not sold in the UK anymore. That being the case there appears to be a gap in the Jet range for a medium sized saw - I wonder if there will be a new product to fill it....

Ed

EdSutton":1s9sqllb said:
It appears, unless I have missed something that the Jet Supersaw (aka JTS 250) is not sold in the UK anymore. That being the case there appears to be a gap in the Jet range for a medium sized saw - I wonder if there will be a new product to fill it....

Ed

DEFT Is coming back! arounf feb 2010!

ciscoeuk":26h5jj44 said:
EdSutton":26h5jj44 said:

Ed

DEFT Is coming back! around feb 2010!

Who's importing it? :shock:

Cheers

Mike

Yes, quite right, the Jet saw I have is no longer sold in the UK. The version available now comes with the large sliding table. Not my cup of tea at all.

I was going to fully assemble it just to show on here but as I intend building a new workshop in the spring of the year (the single car garage I have it in at the mo is far too small) It seems a lot of work to assemble it for a couple of snaps then dismantle it again. Having said that I have a couple of outside building jobs to complete but the weather isn't playing ball at the minute so I may assemble it to keep me busy.

I'm off to Warwickshire tomorrow to pick up an Axminster surface planer I won on e-bay the afternoon so wo't get a chance to do much assembling this weekend.

I too would be interested to know who is importing the Deft saws. Is it only the saws ciscoe or are they importing the whole range??

i too would be interested to know who is importing the Deft saws. Is it only the saws ciscoe or are they importing the whole range??

i am taking the pluge and setting up a small business via a website, i decieded to "test the market", i will be stocking a range of DEFT tablesaws and bandsaws, deft machine parts and accessiories, also freud blades, etc and a few other makes

not sure about others bits yet starting very small, certain items will be on a made to order, with a 60 day lead time, sorry but its more cost effective to do it this way, units will come direct to your door., proberly not the best time to set up a business, but axminster started in a very small workshop,

i will be offering free demo days once a month

but i am still in research mode for shippng and costs, prices yet to be set
still have a lot to do, further info to come! i am hoping to have a partial website up by feb '10

i would love to put an ad banner on here, depends on cost?

Go for it mate! I wish you the very best of luck...one thing's for sure...if you can make it in this climate you can make it in ANY climate...and the "feel good factor" is just around the corner with lots of suppressed custom just waiting to explode...

I think you might have the timing dead right!

I am sure there will be a few customers here...I know I would be interested!

Cheers!

Jim

I echo Jims sentiments, I wish you all the best. I think the falling point for Richard jackson at Lyndhurst was his after sales service. He certainly didn't go under because of the product.

You get the customer care right and you are onto a winner.

It will be hard work for you but it wont seem like work if what you are involved in is your passion!

Keep us all posted, I'm sure there will be lots of interested parties.

Best regards

David

ciscoeuk":1hidc201 said:
i am taking the pluge and setting up a small business via a website, i decieded to "test the market", i will be stocking a range of DEFT tablesaws and bandsaws, deft machine parts and accessiories, also freud blades, etc and a few other makes

not sure about others bits yet starting very small, certain items will be on a made to order, with a 60 day lead time, sorry but its more cost effective to do it this way, units will come direct to your door., proberly not the best time to set up a business, but axminster started in a very small workshop,

i will be offering free demo days once a month

but i am still in research mode for shippng and costs, prices yet to be set
still have a lot to do, further info to come! i am hoping to have a partial website up by feb '10

i would love to put an ad banner on here, depends on cost?

This sounds quite promising, provided you can get the word about early on (I'm sure wizer would buy one from you! :wink:). You want to emphasise the demo days, that's a huge plus point for any potential customer. You could find out what it costs to advertise in the UK magazines (there are several of them). Best of luck with this! :)

Good luck. It's always good to hear of any new business starting up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you can make a go of it.

Boz

I shall be very interested to see this come together. I've been in the market for a new saw for a while now, but there doesn't seem to be one just right.

Ed

I wish you every success with this venture Cisco.

With regard to advertising, the word should spread naturally on here all you need to do is make sure they are good words.

The deft reputation is established and most people are prepared to pay a sensible price for a good product with attentive after sales support.

I think you are allowed to put a website link in your sig file so each time you post there will be a reminder for readers.

Good Luck

Bob

thanks chaps for the Faith and best wishes i will keep you all informed

I think the falling point for Richard jackson at Lyndhurst was his after sales service

i am still sorting out the best way of offering "after sales" , i think the best way is tho is to ask,

what you guys want in after sales???? suggestion please! (time to put on the saftey helmet and DUCK! :wink:)

thanks

9fingers":1ds4xfs5 said:
I wish you every success with this venture Cisco.

With regard to advertising, the word should spread naturally on here all you need to do is make sure they are good words.

The deft reputation is established and most people are prepared to pay a sensible price for a good product with attentive after sales support.

I think you are allowed to put a website link in your sig file so each time you post there will be a reminder for readers.

Good Luck

Bob

thank bob

EdSutton":306ln426 said:
I shall be very interested to see this come together. I've been in the market for a new saw for a while now, but there doesn't seem to be one just right.

Ed

hi ed keep me in mind please

website details will posted in late jan '10, still have a lot of work to do

ciscoeuk":1v8uv6wq said:
thanks chaps for the Faith and best wishes i will keep you all informed

I think the falling point for Richard jackson at Lyndhurst was his after sales service

i am still sorting out the best way of offering "after sales" , i think the best way is tho is to ask,

what you want guys want in after sales???? suggestion please! (time to put on the safety helmet and DUCK! :wink:)

thanks

If there is a problem with the product that the customer has purchased from you, make them feel that both they and the problem is your number one priority and that you will sort it out ASAP. And then do this to the best of your ability. IMHO "That is it". If you make a customer feel that you appreciate their business, and be seen to try and help them you will have an excellent after sales/customer services department.

Another point is, if hopefully you make a success of your enterprise and take on staff, you have to make sure that they too stick to the above. I often feel that if only the boss/owner of a company was a fly on the wall of a customer services department, they would have a fit if they heard how some of their customers were treated.

There is no brain of Britain award for running a customer services department, just make the customer feel good. The trick is to actually do it.

Oh and don't what ever you do pass the buck and tell the customer that it has nothing to do with you, and that they will have to contact the manufacturer, especially if its within the 12 month warranty.

Good luck, I wish you every success. Who knows, after going to one of your open days, if the product is that good I may even sell my saw and buy a Deft. :wink:

Cheers

Mike

I do wish you luck with your venture. Can I ask though - if you are planning for delivery from the manufacturer to the customer,

not sure about others bits yet starting very small, certain items will be on a made to order, with a 60 day lead time, sorry but its more cost effective to do it this way, units will come direct to your door

With a 60 day lead time, this wil definately turn off custom. If you want full payment in advance then even more so. Rutlands took a huge amount of stick a while ago for charging credit cards when products were out of stock. You are effectively asking a customer to stump up close to a grand for a table saw with the promise of a delivery direct from China in 2 months time. If there is a problem on delivery then the customer is left trying to sort it. If it is shipped through you then you can ensure the item is complete before being shipped on to the customer. Any problems and your reputation will be the one taking the hit even though you have never even seen or touched the item concerned.

From following these threads closely it would seem that you are planning to take care of the shipping and ordering for people rather than acting as a reseller. ie you have no 'warehousing' or up front equipment costs, no financial exposure on the equipment and I am unclear how you are going to cover spares and repairs or guarantees on anything supplied. Sure as eggs is eggs someone will want to return something, and if its shipped from the manufacturer you need to be able to deal with this also - its you they are going to phone, not the shipper in China.

Not trying to knock your enterprise and I wish you every success, but both you and the customer need to know exactly what is being offered as this does not seem to be a traditional retailer-customer situation.

All the best,

Steve

I would disagree about the customer care element initially. Your prime objective will be to stay afloat in this climate with the margins that you will have to put up with....EVERYONE expects a discount these days.

Setting up a comprehensive aftersales department that is all things to all men...(and women) and is open 24/7 is HUGELY expensive...and before you know it all your profit has gone and you are paying out to be a supplier!

This product is really good quality (should be)...then just use your expertise as an importer sorting out the door-to-door delivery. Make sure you have a SUPERB setup handbook in real English...and then be there yourself inititally 24 hours a day to help each and every buyer as you build up your client base and "good will". Reputation is paramount (as you can see by this thread!!!)

As you expand think VERY carefully before you enlarge your "customer care" department. Family is a great resource here and they don't have to be experts in your product...they will become that anyway and you are there to help them...it is the ADMIN that will stangle you otherwise.

Supply and demand and "victim of my success" are pitfalls it is all to easy to fall into.....step carefully and wisely and use all the business support from your local area.

Jim

jimi43":1ad9opej said:
I would disagree about the customer care element initially. Your prime objective will be to stay afloat in this climate with the margins that you will have to put up with....EVERYONE expects a discount these days.

Setting up a comprehensive aftersales department that is all things to all men...(and women) and is open 24/7 is HUGELY expensive...and before you know it all your profit has gone and you are paying out to be a supplier!

This product is really good quality (should be)...then just use your expertise as an importer sorting out the door-to-door delivery. Make sure you have a SUPERB setup handbook in real English...and then be there yourself inititally 24 hours a day to help each and every buyer as you build up your client base and "good will". Reputation is paramount (as you can see by this thread!!!)

As you expand think VERY carefully before you enlarge your "customer care" department. Family is a great resource here and they don't have to be experts in your product...they will become that anyway and you are there to help them...it is the ADMIN that will stangle you otherwise.

Supply and demand and "victim of my success" are pitfalls it is all to easy to fall into.....step carefully and wisely and use all the business support from your local area.

Jim

No one said that he would have to set up a customer sales department that is perfect initially. He asked "What do you guys want in after sales?" No time limit, just what do we want?

But even so, if his attitude to the customer is wrong from the start, it will not take long for the word to get around, especially on this forum, where I am sure a lot of his custom COULD come from. Of course his prime objective is to stay afloat, but he needs customers to do that.

Lets face it the Deft looks good, but the only real importer has gone bust, so except for one or two owners he has no real knowledge of (1) How good the product is, and (2) how reliable the manufacturer is. So if a part goes wrong on a customers table saw and the manufacturer whether through they own fault or not is slow to send it from China, a good and favorable past contact with the customer can go along way to keeping them patient. And you don't need a flash office with a bank of telephones and loads of staff to do this.

Cheers

Mike

Back