Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be an idea to start a new thread once you have the prices to distinguish it from the Lyndhurst stuff?

Boz

Boz62":5xsc3afn said:
Might be an idea to start a new thread once you have the prices to distinguish it from the Lyndhurst stuff?

Boz

thant ans idea i can put all info on one threadm thanks boz

Jake":1687a6oy said:
What were the shipping terms? (FOB, etc?)

still waiting on all info to be email, i will create a new thread and put all info on there

fob, etc ???? explain please

this is my first atempt of importing so its a learing curve for me, i will post all info and experiance here

ciscoeuk":2cyef6up said:
Good news

i manage to fine the chinease maker/supplier for deft saw he has quote me $1300 US (£780) per unit, deliver to uk address 20 day turn around

Be careful as you will need to pay VAT on that as it enters the country and import duty plus any customes and handling fees, plus the UK delivery company will usually sting you for them needing to pay the fees in order to get it released by customs.

So after VAT alone you are looking at £916, plus any other fees.

frugal":34cb6o8u said:
Be careful as you will need to pay VAT on that as it enters the country and import duty plus any customes and handling fees, plus the UK delivery company will usually sting you for them needing to pay the fees in order to get it released by customs.

So after VAT alone you are looking at £916, plus any other fees.

i don't know yet but i will find out soon i doing my research now

He should be quoting some sort of terms about when risk and insurance responsibility transfers. The usual import/export terms are the Incoterms, which take various forms of standard contract always denoted by a three letter acronym - FAS, FOB, CIP, COB, etc. If he is quoting delivery it will be one of the C (carriage) terms, but you need to know when property passes and when the responsibility for insurance passes.

Basically, if the container falls off the side in a storm - who bears the risk?

Jake":h5zb1ud1 said:
He should be quoting some sort of terms about when risk and insurance responsibility transfers. The usual import/export terms are the Incoterms, which take various forms of standard contract always denoted by a three letter acronym - FAS, FOB, CIP, COB, etc. If he is quoting delivery it will be one of the C (carriage) terms, but you need to know when property passes and when the responsibility for insurance passes.

Basically, if the container falls off the side in a storm - who bears the risk?

err a little over my head here i think

I had my eye on a DEFT saw (until first the price went up and then the company went t*ts up) but I have to say I personally wouldn't even consider importing a single item direct from China no matter what the price. Too many variables to consider, including VAT, shipping, possible non-delivery, customs duty. And thats without the problems of after sales service, knowing what you are getting is indeed what the DEFT was, manufacturing faults and so on. The price is not that good as a starter, without all the possible add-ons of VAT and delivery. Have a look at the SIP 01332, Xcalibur, or the Axminster 10" jobbie for roughly the same pricepoint and save yourself some worry!

Steve

StevieB":2gblr51v said:
I had my eye on a DEFT saw (until first the price went up and then the company went t*ts up) but I have to say I personally wouldn't even consider importing a single item direct from China no matter what the price. Too many variables to consider, including VAT, shipping, possible non-delivery, customs duty. And thats without the problems of after sales service, knowing what you are getting is indeed what the DEFT was, manufacturing faults and so on. The price is not that good as a starter, without all the possible add-ons of VAT and delivery. Have a look at the SIP 01332, Xcalibur, or the Axminster 10" jobbie for roughly the same pricepoint and save yourself some worry!

Steve

after thinking about it and and see what steve said i might just do that, but i am doing this as an exercise form myself

i even found the manafacturer for Xcalibre saws and record and sip so

if i could afford to import a volume batch i would do so and sell on ebay, to get a good discount to around £500 per unit i have to order more than 10 units, to get unit price down further i have to order a 20 ft container load (40 units)

i would a delta saw the new design but they cost too much at present

ciscoeuk

You would also have to establish if the motor is wired for the Euro market. It looks like the saws are designed to be sold in the US/Canada where their saws run on 60Hz cycles. This being the case you would need a motor able to run on our UK 50 Hz supply. I'm no electrician but i would assume this being the case, the switch gear would need replacing too. So jointly, these two items could potentially add another £250 - £300 to the end product.

The kit does look nice though, how may I ask did you track down the manufacturers for all the different saws? :?

Bluekingfisher":38v6lghf said:
ciscoeuk

You would also have to establish if the motor is wired for the Euro market. It looks like the saws are designed to be sold in the US/Canada where their saws run on 60Hz cycles. This being the case you would need a motor able to run on our UK 50 Hz supply.

The kit does look nice though, how may I ask did you track down the manufacturers for all the different saws? :?

harveys have sent me a brochue they make 4 version 2 for US/canada 2 for europe market, based on the deft specs

Electric motor (TEFC) 3HP, 220v/60hz/1ph 2200W, 220v/50hz/1ph 3HP (1ph) or 5HP (3ph) 2200W or 3500W

they also do a titanium cat for an extra $100 to the price

op extra

Universal mobile base MB-700
Zero clearance insert ZC-10L
Tenoning jig TJ-80
Sliding table accessory ST-30 and ST-50
Rear extension table RT-10(for CSA models)
TiN coated worktables

searched a lot of sites and found this link to take to others

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Table_Saw.html and refined the search for "tilting arbor table saw"

hope this helps

Great stuff and goodwork. I would be interested to know how you get on, you never know you may have the beginnings of a new business. I'm sure they would sell.

David

David I happened upon your old tablesaw on eBay earlier. Looks like a nice bit of kit. I'd have been interested if it wern't for the motor hanging out the back.

Hi Wizer,

It's not a bad little saw, I would have sold it with the motor and switch gear but The original saw came with a 1 HP motor and I upgraded to a 1.5HP motor and magnetic starter not long ago as I was going to keep the saw. I had a change of mind and decided to sell it for the bigger saw, (now Jet) it wouldn't be economically viable to sell with them both on board bearing mind what I paid for them and what I could get for the saw.

Besides I purchased a 3 ph Startrite 352S bandsaw earlier in the year and needed a single phase motor so would make sense to use the motor and switch gear for that. I have just spent this weekend installing the motor onto it, so now have a single phase 1.5hp bandsaw. Just need to get some decent blades for it. Have you any recommendations for quality bandsaw blades?

All that is needed for the tablesaw is a motor, switch and 3" pulley and away you go. I was thinking someone has to have that kit lying about their garage or workshop and would therefore get a half decent saw for very little money.

Bluekingfisher":3lqpwtm7 said:
All that is needed for the tablesaw is a motor, switch and 3" pulley and away you go. I was thinking someone has to have that kit lying about their garage or workshop and would therefore get a half decent saw for very little money.

I hope you have better luck than I'm having trying to sell both a table saw and a planer thicknesser that "just need a motor"

I've not found anyone prepared to put a little effort in by fitting a motor and get themselves some quality machines very cheaply. All too much trouble it seems.

Bob

Bluekingfisher":2q1xmp8f said:
Great stuff and goodwork. I would be interested to know how you get on, you never know you may have the beginnings of a new business. I'm sure they would sell.

David

would love to start a small mail order business selling quality tools, selling machines to order delivered to your door, but to do this i need capital

if anyone is interested in a new table saw, bandsaw, contracter saw, etc and wants to get one from china, min order is ten units to make it cost effective and must be commited 100%, prices and brochures available soon on all equipment and will be on a new post

I know what you mean Bob, no offers yet, although there are over 20 watching it, not that that means anything, perhaps just curious to see how much or if indeed it sells for, but maybe just maybe there will be a mad rush at the final countdown lol

ciscoeuk, Although a little bit of a romantic view I too would love to make a living from my hobby, it's come about a little too early for me though, in five years I retire and I may then be in a position to consider it further. Until then I'll just have to keep dreaming.

Bluekingfisher":z8te25ji said:
ciscoeuk, Although a little bit of a romantic view I too would love to make a living from my hobby, it's come about a little too early for me though, in five years I retire and I may then be in a position to consider it further. Until then I'll just have to keep dreaming.

i just investigating wheather it would be viable to start my own buisness as a side line,

i just investigating wheather it would be viable to start my own buisness as a side line

Erm, given the title and most of this thread is that someone has tried and failed, apparently multiple times, to do exactly what you are proposing, it would appears to be a difficult market to say the least. One of the main problems with big bits of kit, whether they are excellent or not, is that you do not get much repeat custom - people generally only want one tablesaw at a time! Excellent customer service may get you recommendations, but at 7-800 quid a pop a table saw is a big investment in the current global market. Given you have already got a price for single units, and not a huge amount less for bulk purchases, margins will be very tight - as Lyndhurst discovered I guess.

Steve.

Back