Lovely box of old tools on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The antique and vintage carpenters tools are stored in two removable trays and include a marvellous selection, all in good, usable condition.

Funny, most of the chisels look fubar, not to mention the saws.... (hammer)

Maybe someone should tell the seller to leave it out for the gyppos with the rest of the scrap?

It's for charrridddeeee...hope it makes as much as possible.

Nice handles, but the chisels are short...looks like it has been well used, which is nice to see.

wizard- I can see a couple of handsaws worth more than £2, not everybody is just looking at resale value.
Why are you so keen to put others off these?
chris

Hmmm,
Lots of vitriol & opinion here....

I for one appreciate the advice/information/insight posted on here. I also appreciate a heads up on something that I may miss on Ebay. As a collector/user being given a nod on something lets me decide its value & thus what I'm prepared to pay. This is currently £34 & I'm watching. The range of tools, the box & what appears to be age all interest me, & my money is as good as the next persons.
I might go for this, & I am grateful to know it was there. Yes, I may be sold a pup, but it's my call in a democratic society.
By the way, I am an amateur in this & I'm doing it the way I play cards. Only take to the table what you can afford to lose:)

I'd be interested to know the last time someone criticised anything ( & thus posted) that was offered up in the For Sale forum??

Finally, I just won a Ladies brace on Ebay (not listed as such) for £15.15. One for the collection with no intention of reselling.

Oooh I do happen have a wooden chest (musty smelling, slightly unpleasant) of junk tools that anyone can have for £1000. Or even £135. There might be a semi okay brass backed saw or two in there. PM me your offers!

I think, as long as it isn't something you're benefiting from/selling your self, then surely it's fine to flag up an auction on eBay or elsewhere for discussion and comment etc etc.

Sure, maybe someone would like to bid and rather no one else did. And maybe they might feel cheated of a bargain somehow. But that's just life, surely. Wanting something doesn't really grant you rights over it.

kreed":2ve47ig6 said:
I'd be interested to know the last time someone criticised anything ( & thus posted) that was offered up in the For Sale forum??

This is from the Marketplace Guidelines:

3 Relevant Posts Only.
If you have no genuine purchase interest in the item posted please just move on.
For instance, you would not supply comments or recommendations to local small adds, so please don’t bulk out FS threads with such posts.
If you feel a need to moan about the price or mention that the item comes free in a box of cornflakes do not do it here, go to http://www.grumpymoaners.co.uk
The marketplace will decide if the item offered has a realistic price.
If however you consider the post to be in breach of the rules then the Moderation Team would appreciate the use of the Report This Post facility. (Please do not post a thread entry; there is no guarantee that this will be seen)

I cannot see anything wrong with pointing out tools on eBay and there is nothing wrong with someone saying they are a load of worthless junk. Also there in nothing wrong with buying junk I have loads of it.

who will give me £50.00 for this box of junk

Attachments

• TOOLBO3.jpg
    TOOLBO3.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,009
50 quid, seriously?!!

If you have time and are feeling kind, some more detailed photo's would be much appreciated, some interesting tool holding bits that I can't quite make out,

Cheerio,

Carl

Noel":17h7ojlk said:
AndyT":17h7ojlk said:
We don't have a formal rule saying 'don't draw attention to live listings on eBay' but it is not helpful to attract lots of other bidders alongside anyone who had already seen it and planned to bid.

Interesting lot though to anyone with the space.

True and many posts/threads about listings have been removed for that very reason as well as the possibility that a post referring to a listing has a degree of, ah, self interest.
Ok it's apparently for charity and now a sweep stake it can stay but please keep the above in mind in future.

wizard":17h7ojlk said:
I cannot see anything wrong with pointing out tools on eBay and there is nothing wrong with someone saying they are a load of worthless junk. Also there in nothing wrong with buying junk I have loads of it.

As I mentioned earlier posts pointing to eBay listings are generally removed for the reasons I stated above and as Andy rightly states such posts aren't helpful. There certainly has been cases where a member is watching/bidding on an item and then somebody posts about it here and the price goes up and up. That's not fair to the guy who is trying buy the item and furthermore it's free advertising and ultimately more revenue for eBay. I think most people realise this. Many forums don't allow references to eBay listings of any description.

Noel":14vjnn29 said:
As I mentioned earlier posts pointing to eBay listings are generally removed for the reasons I stated above and as Andy rightly states such posts aren't helpful. There certainly has been cases where a member is watching/bidding on an item and then somebody posts about it here and the price goes up and up. That's not fair to the guy who is trying buy the item and furthermore it's free advertising and ultimately more revenue for eBay. I think most people realise this. Many forums don't allow references to eBay listings of any description.

I'm afraid the logic baffles me Noel. The only plausible reason for not mentioning ebay listings could be that I might want to drum up some extra punters for my tool box or plane or whatever. But even if that were the case and someone from the forum out bid all the other bidders and bought my plane, still not knowing it was me he'd bought it from, he would be happy because he'd got what he wanted at a price he was happy with....and I sold my plane/tool box/whatever. There would be no harm done.

The other case stated on here is that someone may already be watching it and it will ruin their chances of a bargain??? I'm staggered that this in itself is allowed. I would much prefer the rule that you are obliged to post a link to anything that you see worth bidding on so that your 'friends' on the forum get first dibs.

Grayorm":h5zllfgd said:
Noel":h5zllfgd said:

I'm afraid the logic baffles me Noel. The only plausible reason for not mentioning ebay listings could be that I might want to drum up some extra punters for my tool box or plane or whatever. But even if that were the case and someone from the forum out bid all the other bidders and bought my plane, still not knowing it was me he'd bought it from, he would be happy because he'd got what he wanted at a price he was happy with....and I sold my plane/tool box/whatever. There would be no harm done.

The other case stated on here is that someone may already be watching it and it will ruin their chances of a bargain??? I'm staggered that this in itself is allowed. I would much prefer the rule that you are obliged to post a link to anything that you see worth bidding on so that your 'friends' on the forum get first dibs.

So, have I got this right?

#1 Anybody selling WW items on eBay can post a link here and drum up a few extra bids
#2 Scan through eBay, see a few (or a lot) of items that just might interest members and post here
#3 Post about a listing for a chisel/plane etc that has 3 hours to go, is at 99p and ends at 2am in the morning that somebody here might have on their watch list

Sorry, all three of your points are non-starters. eBay is big enough, ugly enough and rich enough to do their own marketing but best of all anybody can surf through every auction they can find and bid until their heart is content. If some need help to look for things then eBay, no matter how they get there, is not the place to point your mouse at. And I suspect folk here do not want every board clogged up with random eBay links. As for posting links for your own listings, apart from further clogging up the site, if you want to pay a fee I'm sure something could be arranged, for cash of course.........

I for sure would not be happy to see something that I'm fairly sure of getting at a good price posted here and advertised for all to see. I spent the time and effort looking for the thing.

The other case stated on here is that someone may already be watching it and it will ruin their chances of a bargain??? I'm staggered that this in itself is allowed.
no need to stagger :) It's not allowed.

Lastly, the For Sale board is a fine place to buy and sell WW items to your "friends".

PS- glad you'll be a bit warmer this winter.........

OK Noel, if that's the thoughts of the committee (rule or no rule) then I'll abide. You'll all just have to sit and watch me get rich buying and selling #4's. :D

Did anyone else spot the old style multitool in the top right hand corner? The sort shaped like a horseshoe on the outside, with a row of small tools which swivel and snap into position. I thought that might put the bids up a bit.

AndyT":29jvjxun said:
Did anyone else spot the old style multitool in the top right hand corner? The sort shaped like a horseshoe on the outside, with a row of small tools which swivel and snap into position. I thought that might put the bids up a bit.

Think that one looks like a "combination gas tool" Andy :wink: , but non the less well spotted =D>

Andy

Back