Lost and Found

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mseries

Established Member
Reaction score
For a long long time I couldn't find my small spirit level, I don't lose things much, I knew it was in the workshop somewhere since it's only moved from my old one, a spare room, to my new one, the garage. I eventually needed to use it about 2 years later so I bought a new one. Yesterday, when looking for my 45 degree set square I found the spirit level ! Didn't find the set square which I have had for 33 years, it'll turn up though. I really ought to stop saving boxes of offcuts and use the space to organise my little used tools better

I am soooo deeply in it at the moment.

The Domestic Controller was "looking after" my N.T. and English Heritage membership cards (Keeping them all together so that she had two if she wanted to go out with a friend, I think).

I wanted mine For a father-daughter day out, so got them from the little plastic wallet, which I have now lost, and have no idea how I managed it (in the house somewhere).

Of course, it being Mothering Sunday'n'all, offspring wanted us all to go out to Montacute House (NT) for the afternoon.

At least I'm allowed to build my own doghouse...

I find the tool fairies seem to pay me visits in my workshop very often, daily in fact. I put a tool down, turn my attention elsewhere and, hey presto - tool has disappeared, only to re-surface hours or days later in the exact place I originally put it down.

My daughter has a 8 year old boy and she finds the battery fairies regularly visit, for which she is very grateful.

K

graduate_owner":2yh6dz2p said:
I find the tool fairies seem to pay me visits in my workshop very often, daily in fact. I put a tool down, turn my attention elsewhere and, hey presto - tool has disappeared,
Maybe we should start dipping all our tools handles in dayglo orange, or luminous green then turn the lights out to find them?

graduate_owner":2yh6dz2p said:
only to re-surface hours or days later in the exact place I originally put it down.
Or perhaps it wouldn't help after all.

I now have 3 Carroll drum sanders having misplaced the previous 2. I have also misplaced the 10m length of hermes abrasive which is my preferred abrasive for them. Its getting expensive!

I don't lose much overall. My workshop is pretty organised so I put everything back in its place. However I do have the issue of losing things whilst using them. Put something down and two seconds later I can't find it despite the fact I've been using it all day and it doesn't matter if it's bright green. In the house it's a different story as Swmbo will often "tidy" things and then I don't know where they are. I then find that I find something I've lost for ages when I'm looking for something completely different. I was recently looking for my Swiss army knife and found my leatherman. I didn't know I'd lost my leatherman but I found it somewhere I'd have never put it and by finding that meant I didn't need my Swiss Army knife! I have since found that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 'lost' a bright-yellow 4ft level. Had to go out and buy another one after numerous phonecalls to everyone working on-site (who all insisted they hadn't nicked it).

6 months later I go into my attic ... Yep, you guessed.

DiscoStu":1pxafcaq said:
I don't lose much overall. My workshop is pretty organised so I put everything back in its place.
I don't lose much either. Like you I generally put things away. The spirit level was packed in a box with some offcuts when my workshop contents moved - shows how often i use the offcuts box -it's got to go. The set square was residing on the shelf behind my bench and I almost certainly put it away in a new home and have forgotten where that home is. The square is one I am yet to return to school from where I borrowrd it for my A Levels in 1983. My bag of clout nails suffered this fate, turning up about a year after I bought some more.

I had a very useful 2mm Wera electrical screwdriver which I lost.
Hunted everywhere for it
Mentally accused several people (the thieving sods!) of nicking it.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new one from Amazon, which arrived, I unpacked it and took it to the workshop and put it on the rack where the other one used to live.
Proceeded to sweep the floor moved some stuff to get at the muck and.......... well you can guess what was lying there can't you.

Talking to daughter in USA on phone last night and bemoaned the lost protractor. "I have a feeling it was in Mother's box of jewellry tools". It was......................
But daren't say anything about it!

My dad's favourite stabila level was missing for 3 years. Turned up in the guttering above the garage flat roof. Still a good level, but the spirit in the vials is now bleached water clear rather than yellow.

In that case, can anyone let me know where I've put my tourch? Had it the otrher day, went to collect it this morning to walk the dog (in the rain so rather dark), gone!

Decided not to wake the wife to ask her (at 6.00am!!!)

Let me know if you come across it!
Phil

I don't know where you've put it but I know it will be in the last place you look!

Also if you want a head torch Cotswold outdoor near me were flogging of Petzl Tikka for £15 which is a bargain - normally £35. Only in blue though.

I lost a very fine rechargeable torch - only to discover it (under the floorboards, where I'd entombed it) some years later.

I have far more measuring tapes, Stanley knives, hammers, steel rulers, pencils etc. than I actually need because I keep buying them rather than hunt for one when I need it.

As for plastic ballpoint pens, I'm convinced that someone in our house is secretly exporting them (to African schoolchildren or something)....

I find pencils go walkabout in the workshop. I buy a pack of 10 and 2 days later I can't find one. Yet I'm the only one who goes in there and I tidy up after each session!

DiscoStu":26fq6ouf said:
I don't know where you've put it but I know it will be in the last place you look!

Of course it willl, once you've found it you'll stop looking so it will be in the last place you look.

Latest posts

Back