Looking for old, wide board of true mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol'Gibson1959

Reaction score
Looking to find an old, wide (at least 13 inches wide by 2inches deep) board of true swietenia mahogany. So far google, timber yards, ebay and facebook marketplace have let me down!

For my degree project I am making a correct-material replica of a 1950's gibson electric guitar, hence the need for such a deep, wide plank. Annoyingly, they only used 1 piece bodies rather than a jointed 2 piece however the stuff was common as water back then 🙄🙄

If anyone can help I would be much appreciated!

All species of Swietenia are now on the CITES list so I can’t see you getting it from a timber yard & anyone selling you a plank will need to give you written provenance of the plank to prove it was obtained before it’s listing.

All species of Swietenia are now on the CITES list so I can’t see you getting it from a timber yard & anyone selling you a plank will need to give you written provenance of the plank to prove it was obtained before it’s listing.
Yes I am well aware, I have obtained a couple of pieces for guitar necks etc however this instrument will not be a traveller 😂

Have you tried https://luthierssupplies.co.uk/catalogue/ inhoram in Sussex? I bought a superb single piece of mahogany from them for a les Paul copy some years ago pre cites. Their current online catalogue suggests they have some full size mahogany pre cites, but doesn’t mention swietenia. Maybe worth a call.
stuart

Last edited:
Would it be possible to laminate two or three thiner planks? If so old tables in junk shops may be a solution. I have sourced some nice pieces in the past.

Looking to find an old, wide (at least 13 inches wide by 2inches deep) board of true swietenia mahogany. So far google, timber yards, ebay and facebook marketplace have let me down!

For my degree project I am making a correct-material replica of a 1950's gibson electric guitar, hence the need for such a deep, wide plank. Annoyingly, they only used 1 piece bodies rather than a jointed 2 piece however the stuff was common as water back then 🙄🙄

What colour are you looking for? I have some 12 1/2" x 2" some are deep red some are lighter I don't know the species I bought it in the early 1980's, when I retired I saved what I had and used some for small work and some of it I used to make a coal store. (yes I know but it is still in about 3 feet long pieces and could be taken out and replaced)

Deep red piece.
Ducks.jpg
Lighter and some even lighter than this I could take some images later if any good.
Estechess_1.jpeg

Do you have Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard? I presume you're making a Junior or a Special? Be nice to see the finished item and some construction videos. Good luck

1.75" should do you if your doing a burst. If your doing a 1954 all mahogany then you'l want another 15-16 on top of that. Did you ask on the Mylespaul forum?
Cheers
Andrew

You might be better off trying to find some old victorian furniture. Though you may struggle to find the thickness. I have an old press made from solid 30mm boards of mahogany for example.

Ollie

I've never seen a mahogany pew.
The pews in my local Methodist church were mahogany, and I've got a couple of loooong boards stashed away in my parents garage, and lots of smaller bits in my garage wood store. The Church dates back to the sixties, and the bits I've played with look and behave much like genuine, rather than khaya or sapele which I've used for building guitars.

I have two 161/4" wide by 12' long by 2 1/4" thick boards of that species in my Warwickshire stock originally bought for making solid body guitars, and they were purchased by my father in 1978 and I have the receipts. Waxed ends. Premium quality. We have ebony and rosewood of same period. PM me if interested, but I should warn you that they will not be cheap and not remotely near the prices on the receipts!

Look round the Southampton Salvage yards for old School Science benches.

Back