Looking for advice on buying a Table Saw & Planer/Thicknesse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hular

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying both a table saw and a planer thicknesser soon, and I was hoping to get some recommendations or advice on what to be looking for.
I don't really have a lot of experience with buying machinery, as up till now my experience has been mostly hand tools, though I have used machinery in the past.
I'm looking to be spending about £1200 - £1300 on both machines, and due to the size of my available workshop space, I need them to be portable (There is a space they can be wheeled out into for use, but not stored, I already have a mobile trolley that can be used for one of them though). I'll mostly be processing oak with them, probably nothing harder than that, and I already have dust extraction set up.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Edit:
Forgot to say, I'll be up a the Harrogate show at the weekend, so if I can see something there, even better!

I had a Bosch GTS10 table saw for a while, and wish I still had it. Utterly brilliant machine - accurate, portable, liftable, reliable, decent fence, easy blade changing, safe to use with good guards and anti-kickback, good cutting depth even on hardwoods. I would recommend the Bosch to anyone. It is far more capable that it might look. I once loaned it to a friend who had been in the joinery industry for 40 years and he thought it was the best and most useful saw he had ever come across, for the money.

Planer/thicknessers are far less portable beasts for the only decent ones have cast iron tables. My Scheppach 260 weighed in at about 120kg - a very good machine and I think you can get a wheel or caster kit for them. Most important issue for a planer/thicknesser is how quick and easy it is to change and set the knives. Setting replacements to the correct height can be a pig of a job and can take a while to get right. Best advice is to get something with quick change drop in knives. The next most important issue is good removal of dust and chips. The tables must be kept completely free of any debris if you want to achieve a good finish. So make sure you add a good workshop vacuum to your shopping list and never run your planer without having it hooked up to the vac. If I were going to buy a new planer thicknesser I would probably go for Scheppach again. German build quality at a reasonable price, easy to use, rubber feed rollers leave a very good finish, good spares availability. Just make sure you get the all important quick change cutter knives - they will save you many hours of frustration!

C.

Back