looking for a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risticuss

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

I am looking for a lathe to start turning drum shells on. I have used lathe's before, all at either school, or at Uni, so am by no means a completely inexperiences turner, but I am looking for one that can handle an 18 inch diameter by 16inch deep shell, outboard.

any recommendations would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Simon

Risticuss":1ektx299 said:
18 inch diameter by 16inch deep shell, outboard.
That's a darned large size to turn and would normally require an industrially sized lathe, I'd say. Surely drum shells are normally laminated from plywood on a form rather than turned?

Scrit

I'm in agreement with Scrit that this is a very large piece to turn and it might pay to find an alternative to turning them.

If you do decide to go ahead and turn them, I'd expect you might find vibrations of the workpiece a real problem due to the flexibility of the wood, especially when you're working so far from the chuck/faceplate. A 3-point steady (something like this but obviously scaled up) might help.

As to the lathe, you'd certainly need an industrially sized machine. If you're looking to buy new I have, as a hobbyist, been very happy with my Vicmarc; the short bed VL300 would allow you to work the size you quoted over the inboard bed, giving the advantage of letting you support the work with the tailstock while working on the outside, which should reduce chatter. These machines seem well engineered and well thought out. However, I doubt any of the professional lathes available in this size range would let you down.

On the secondhand front, I'm not sure whether a Graduate would suffice, L. R. E. Machinery should be able to advise. Any of the large, old British made machines should be a safe bet so long as it's been well looked after and doesn't have broken/missing castings.

Before investing the sums of money that these machines (especially the new ones) command, why not see if there is anyone in your locality who has a big lathe and would let you try making a prototype to get a feel for how challenging it might be? Local turning clubs or machinery dealers may help out in that respect.

Watched an episode of "how its made" on Discovery last week showing drums being made.

The shell was made from a strip of solid maple that was steamed and bent round a former with a scarf joint on the ends. They then used an engineering lathe to turn the inside & outside of the shell prior to veneering. I assume the reason for an engineering lathe was that it will turn perfectly in line with the lathe axis and will give equal wall thickness.

You will be looking at something like an ex industrial lathe like a Colchester or Harrison and they dont come cheap and are usually 3 phase.

Holding the shell will also be difficult if you are to avoid distorting the shell with the pressure from the chuck jaws.

EDIT Discovery are next showing the drum episode on 15th Feb at 05.30 and 17.30 You can set a reminder on the Discovery Site

Jason

Hello Simon

I made a picallo snare drum for a freind of mine about two years ago. I think what you are refering to is a staved construction. This was made on my Record CL2 lathe, and even with this smaller drum shell I had to spin the work piece by hand just before switching the lathe on. For the larger drum you are proposing to make, a lathe with variable speed would be needed. I have variable speed on this lathe now and the size of drum you would like to make would be possible on this lathe. Here are some photos of the drum I made.

Snare_drum3.JPG

Snare_drum1.JPG

Snare_drum2.JPG

Finished_snare_drum.JPG

Latest posts

Back