Look what I've been given

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

Established Member
Reaction score
EPSN0001.JPG

Now how do I use them :)

Dave

oh very nice. quite jealous. Where old Marples gauges as good old Marples chisels? I'd love to have more time and health to explore carving.

TrimTheKing":187gpvpw said:
For Free? Nice haul!

I haven't got a clue how they work, but there must be an 'on switch' somewhere :lol:

Mark

Yep free - friend at work rescued them a few years ago - he has now passed them to me!

I think they are battery powered as I can see a way of plugging them in! :lol:

Wizer - not sure but knowing where they came from I suspect they were the best at the time! I have never done carving either so this may be another slope for me! :wink:

Dave

I clearly work with the wrong type of people! Nice haul.

I have no advice to offer on carving but I enjoyed watching Chris Pye's letter carving demo at Westonbirt and thought he had a calm and explanatory manner. I believe he has a range of DVD's on carving which, if presented in the same way as his live demo, I would expect to be very helpful.

Cheers, Ed.

Just been looking to see what the cost would have been when they were new - a set of 12 in a cardboard box was being sold for £114 :shock: Not that I intend to sell them - just out of interest!

My Uncle (who gave me his old Nutool lathe) does some great carving so I will be picking his brain soon - will keep an eye out for the DVD Ed - sound interesting!

Dave

Well done on rehoming them, think if you are going to carve then you will need to practise honing to an extreme degree, most carvers appear to be able to cut air with the tools they use. :shock:

Daven":34uvbhhl said:
I think they are battery powered as I can see a way of plugging them in! :lol:

After all this time I'm not surprised that they don't work!
They'll be fine with a new set of batteries.

Beautiful tools are lovely to behold. :D

Rod

Daven":2mac0h65 said:
EPSN0001.JPG

Now how do I use them :)

Dave
Backwards--towards yourself with short strokes,only with the movements of your wrist.Some people try wacking them with mallets,well if you do that you could stick them in place and while trying to get them out break the ends off.You have to be very careful,unless you have a good medical plan :D

Thanks for the advise! Looking at Chris Pye's site it appears I might not be working too much today :wink: :D

First I need to sharpen them - most have a dull edge, so that will give me something to do tonight! DaveL - looks like I will be getting some practice quite soon :wink:

Will show you the results when I have carved out a name for myself!

Regards

Dave

Latest posts

Back