Long time since I've been on here and I have a Bandsaw Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all and apols for the incoming "what bandsaw?" question #213 (hammer)

Been looking at around the £500 mark for a decentish machine which will be used for general pottering about.

I'm down to the following;

Warco 14"
Makita LB1200F
Record BS300e
Axy HBS350N
Charnwood B350

Visited Warco today and looked at an ex demo 14" model. Was a little underwhelmed with the quality of the motions and was put off a bit with the fact that this particular machine didn't rise to its full height or tilt to 45'. That's probably down to needing a bit of a clean up but could it be an indication of the overall quality of their kit and service?

I've got two local firms that stock Record and Charnwood but neither had anything to physically look at.

Nearest Axys are an hour away and FFX Folkstone (90 mins away) apparently do have a Makita in stock. The Mak is on this list as I have quite a lot of their tools and I suspect it's unlikely to be a rebadge (which may mean nothing in the real world).

The Warco visit didn't fill me with hope of a nicely put together machine at this price point but am I expecting too much? I really want to physically look at some more machines unless someone reckons they're all pretty much going to be much of a muchness?

TIA

P.S I won't discount 2ndhand but transporting 100Kgish may be an issue

Can't offer much help except to say that I’ve had an Axminster HBS350N for many years (long before they went red and white) no problems. It has decent ball race guides, the fence is fine but I found it a nuisance to remove the rail to change blades so I chopped it in half to leave a gap for the blade to pass through. Much better. Tuffsaw blade - of course. :)

RogerP":7aegguki said:
Can't offer much help except to say that I’ve had an Axminster HBS350N for many years (long before they went red and white) no problems. It has decent ball race guides, the fence is fine but I found it a nuisance to remove the rail to change blades so I chopped it in half to leave a gap for the blade to pass through. Much better. Tuffsaw blade - of course. :)

Thanks Roger

I'll check Axy Sittingbourne have one in stock before venturing into darkest Kent. Oh and I've seen Tuffsaw are compulsory on here!

Ebay is your friend. I got a Blundell SBW4300 ( same as 17 inch SBW4300 Axminster that now retails for £1800) 2004 model for £360 but it is absolutely as new. Being a noob I've had to get to grips with setup (Tuffsaw blades sorted it out) but that aside its amazing

Went with the Axy 350 in the end. The very helpful sale chap set the (shop demo) saw up for me which was greatly appreciated. Slightly surprised how quiet it is :)

It came with a 1/2" 4tpi blade. Worth getting a 3/8's 6tpi as well? T'will be a Tuffsaw one of course!

I've found it prudent to give Ian a call and explain precisely what you want the saw to do and let him advise. He recently solved a problem for me which I thought was a setup issue but a new, correct for purpose, blade, solved the problem.

He's very helpful

Latest posts

Back