Bandsaw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul M":cxvz2g20 said:
Hi
I received my 1950b a couple of days ago, I too was a little nervous however despite a couple of niggles. One of the bolts securing the work table mounting base clashed with the rotating base bolt fixing to the table (0.5mm). Easy fix since additional flat washers included (verying thickness).
Secondly table adjustment screws not fitted. Axminster have sent grub screws out and asked if i wanted to return.
That said table is true on one axis, adjusted on table bolt and only a few thou out on the other (Tested with reversing wood) and without grub screws there are no issues
The cuts are extremly accurate, with and without guides adjusted, (taking 0.5mm to 1.5mm)early days but I am pleased. I have spent a day setting up but all straightforward.
Customer help line answered immediatly, which is great since the country is in lockdown

Good to here, expecting mine on Monday so will report back.

Petey83":3is8ig7l said:
Hi Richard,

It was actually your review that gave me pause for thought in the Axy machine.

I have to agree that whilst I've not seen any of them in the flesh I have noticed in photos the 2 bigger machines have additional bracing, my guess is that Axminster didn't feel there would be enough stress on the smaller machine for it to be an issue?

So I have ended up ordering the Axy machine today. The guide issue you mention is almost a much the muchness for me, the other machines in this space all suffer similar issues from what I have read.

The flex issue did worry me but no one mentions it in the reviews on their site so I wonder if your issue was a unit specific one off?

Either way as you say it's a no risk purchase, it it turns out to be a lemon it will go back and I guess I'll be saving the extra pennies for a record 300 or the Axy machine the next size up and just have to make the space for them somehow

:oops: Well I hope I haven't put too many people off! It just really frustrated me that when I was cutting and wanted to add a bit more tension the guides went out of alignment. Perhaps I'm the only one who does this....

Just taken delivery and unpacked, I'm still working so won't have a lot of time to play until this evening.

Initial impressions are the table and fence are very good for the price and I can't see any obvious physical QC issues.

One thing I instantly dislike is the rise and fall, there is a good bit of sideways movement left and right on it as it travels through the full range so it'll need visually centering to the guides each time depth of cut is adjusted.

The supplied blade is really badly fitted to the point it's more off the wheels than on them.

The rise and fall on most Bandsaws will move from side to side when being adjusted, you may find it locks in the right place at various depths despite movement on its travels, worth checking.

Petey83":yrgnxzm2 said:
Just taken delivery and unpacked, I'm still working so won't have a lot of time to play until this evening.

Initial impressions are the table and fence are very good for the price and I can't see any obvious physical QC issues.

One thing I instantly dislike is the rise and fall, there is a good bit of sideways movement left and right on it as it travels through the full range so it'll need visually centering to the guides each time depth of cut is adjusted.

The supplied blade is really badly fitted to the point it's more off the wheels than on them.
My little record 250 does the same and I can eliminate it with a post it note folded over and slotted into the right spot. Fine when I'm adjusting up but of course it wants to fall out if I move down. Though I've never gotten around to securing it.

Sorry for off topic, but on the topic of bandsaws, I have a Record 300 and i find it a good machine. I dont put anything too crazy through it, but its a well built machine.

In the last few weeks, my switch is not staying on and just the weekend it is not turning on at all. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement switch?

Thanks

Spent the evening setting up and making a few test cuts.

The set up was pretty much what i expected - a bit of a faff. its often easy of set up and adjustment that differentiate expensive machines or tools from the cheaper ones and this holds true here.

The levelling the table was probably the biggest faff but seems solid enough now done. The ceramic guides do spark but its nothing that dramatic and they seem no worse for it. The adjustment of the guides is crude to put it mildly and does requires a bit more effort than i'd like.

The rise and fall does have a lot of wobble to it and the lock up is variable but this is sorted by just holding the whole thing and eyeballing it centrally to the blade as I lock it up.

The central insert was not flush and sat just under the table which meant material was catching some times. I'll make a zero clearance up when i have some time but for now its easy to shim the factory insert with some 0.5mm perspex.

The fence seems solid and accurate, the far end doe rise slightly when locking up so i usually hold it as i lock it to remove risk of it deflecting. Only issue is the fence clashes with the upper guide assembly if i try and do thin and narrow cuts, i can imagine this being an issue on other machines though?

The supplied blade was pretty rubbish in my opinion. I ordered 3 Axcaliber blades when I ordered the machine they are noticeably better quality. I have only tried the 3TPI 1/2 ripping blade thus far and it really sailed through some 2x4 pine. I have a 6tpi 1/2 general blade and a 6tpi 1/4 inch blade for shape cutting to try over the coming days. I'll also likely order a blade from tuff saws for comparison.

So in summary i'm happy thus far but more testing is needed. This is my first ever bandsaw so i have nothing to draw comparison to or rue not having. I am planning to make some team light holders from some oak and iroko off cuts at the weekend as well as re-sawing some pine 2x4 so i can practice my dove tails. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings as i go.

delaney001":3o0rg6b4 said:
Sorry for off topic, but on the topic of bandsaws, I have a Record 300 and i find it a good machine. I dont put anything too crazy through it, but its a well built machine.

In the last few weeks, my switch is not staying on and just the weekend it is not turning on at all. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement switch?

Thanks
Are you sure it's the NVR switch that's faulty and not one of the door microswitches sending a false signal?

You can buy those bits on places like ebay quite readily.

DBT85":mq9xbvjz said:
delaney001":mq9xbvjz said:

Thanks
Are you sure it's the NVR switch that's faulty and not one of the door microswitches sending a false signal?

Ya I'm pretty sure it is. Had an electrician in over the weekend adding some sockets to workshop and asked him to look at it. He got it working but said it was a little tempormental, and it has since stopped completely.

WIll check the microswitches on it later as a check.

DBT85":1ytqchv6 said:
delaney001":1ytqchv6 said:

Thanks

This is what it was!!! Thanks for the suggestion.
I still think it will go in future again, as it was acting up for last few months, and electrician said it himself 'i hve it going, but it might not last', so must source one for whenever it does pack up.

Petey83":bh6vyjmb said:
Spent the evening setting up and making a few test cuts.

The set up was pretty much what i expected - a bit of a faff. its often easy of set up and adjustment that differentiate expensive machines or tools from the cheaper ones and this holds true here.

The levelling the table was probably the biggest faff but seems solid enough now done. The ceramic guides do spark but its nothing that dramatic and they seem no worse for it. The adjustment of the guides is crude to put it mildly and does requires a bit more effort than i'd like.

The rise and fall does have a lot of wobble to it and the lock up is variable but this is sorted by just holding the whole thing and eyeballing it centrally to the blade as I lock it up.

The central insert was not flush and sat just under the table which meant material was catching some times. I'll make a zero clearance up when i have some time but for now its easy to shim the factory insert with some 0.5mm perspex.

The fence seems solid and accurate, the far end doe rise slightly when locking up so i usually hold it as i lock it to remove risk of it deflecting. Only issue is the fence clashes with the upper guide assembly if i try and do thin and narrow cuts, i can imagine this being an issue on other machines though?

The supplied blade was pretty rubbish in my opinion. I ordered 3 Axcaliber blades when I ordered the machine they are noticeably better quality. I have only tried the 3TPI 1/2 ripping blade thus far and it really sailed through some 2x4 pine. I have a 6tpi 1/2 general blade and a 6tpi 1/4 inch blade for shape cutting to try over the coming days. I'll also likely order a blade from tuff saws for comparison.

So in summary i'm happy thus far but more testing is needed. This is my first ever bandsaw so i have nothing to draw comparison to or rue not having. I am planning to make some team light holders from some oak and iroko off cuts at the weekend as well as re-sawing some pine 2x4 so i can practice my dove tails. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings as i go.
Hi Peter
Unfortunately my bandsaw is now packed and ready to be returned to Axminister.
I couldn't get the table true to the blade (front to back). Once I had received the table adjustment screws and fitted. I noticed the screws did not locate onto the table mounting plate. On inspection, the cast alloy table mounting plate was the issue. One of the table mounting had a wall thickness in one part of 1mm. Visually the cast was full of defects. Therefore Axminster asked me to return for their Engineers to look at it.
Hopefully yours is fairing better and look forward to any further feedback you may have before I decide if I ask for a replacement.
Also are your table adjustment grub screws fitted with lock nuts as per the GA drawing in the manual. Thanks

Latest posts

Back