Looking for first bandsaw in £1500-£2000 range

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any experience with the Axminster Trade AT3086B (£1900) or the AT3352B (£2160)?

I think the AT3086B used to be called the SBW-3501H3 but not sure about the more expensive T3352B.

Hi there

As a newcomer like myself do you really need to spend that sort of money because a bandsaw is not a complicated bit of kit , I brought the Record BS400 for about a grandand although it is really to big for my needs it has a larger motor and you can de tension the blade easily for changes and not left tensioned when not in use. It does everything I ask of it, but make sure you use a decent blade, the ones supplied are often rubbish and give the impression that a machine is inferior when with a good blade from somewhere like Tuff blades it makes all the difference. Then with the cash saved buy something else that you have to spend more to get something decent.

Spectric":3r1dxwk9 said:
Hi there

As a newcomer like myself do you really need to spend that sort of money because a bandsaw is not a complicated bit of kit , I brought the Record BS400 for about a grandand although it is really to big for my needs it has a larger motor and you can de tension the blade easily for changes and not left tensioned when not in use.

As you say, bandsaws are simple machines but i'll be wanting to do some deep resawing and processing of logs, so from what I've read I'll want something with a stiff frame that can properly tension a wider blade of an inch or so. I don't want anything fancy but want something really well built and capable of a deep cut.

I've never seen the record so can't comment on it's build, but glad that it's doing everything you need it to. Cheers, Dave.

scubadoo":32j1lc3h said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Axminster Trade AT3086B (£1900) or the AT3352B (£2160)?

I think the AT3086B used to be called the SBW-3501H3 but not sure about the more expensive T3352B.

Hello, did you get any response from what you asked on the forum? I am thinking of buying the AT3352B, but am a little hesitant as there are no real reviews on the machine. Did you buy one of the Axminster bandsaws?

Ahhh - old thread :)
I don't know the Centauro but I looked over the better machines on this list at the W2018 exhibition when I was shopping for a bandsaw for a men's shed.
The SCM minimax S45 is the best built of them.
The shed chose an Axminster machine in the end. Nowhere near as good, but people gravitate to what they know / can get to see.
The SCM is the smallest bandsaw from a manufacturer of Industrial machines, not a manufacturer of hobby / light trade machinery. There's a difference.

Mark Anthony":c1g38dg1 said:
Hello, did you get any response from what you asked on the forum? I am thinking of buying the AT3352B, but am a little hesitant as there are no real reviews on the machine. Did you buy one of the Axminster bandsaws?

If you are looking at large bandsaw from Axminster I’d also suggest you look at OAV, they used to made Axminster’s larger saws (May still do) but they are now available as a stand-alone brand from MWM
https://www.mwmachinery.co.uk/oav-sbw-5300-band-saw

I’ve no idea how their prices would compare & have no association with the company but OAV do make quality solid machines with good specifications.

Just thought I should come back to this and update with what I chose just in case it pops up in a search.. The Laguna 14BX. The quick lowdown is it cuts really well, no vibrations, plenty of power and no drift so far. Really pleased with it. And dust extraction is good.

For my criteria of buying new, 3 pin plug and with enough power for decent resawing it seemed like the best option. Would have loved a Hammer N4400 but couldn't justify it. There was a similarly matched Axi Trade model with bigger wheels and 16A but I went with the Laguna.

Once upright, moving it into the workshop was easy, wish they marked which way was up on the box so i knew which way to flip it. I ended up having to open it up to find out. Set up was straightforward and they have some good instructional videos online. This was my first bandsaw so it's all new learning for me and those videos and a video from Alex Snodgrass were helpful. And the one from Matt Estlea.

One of my concerns was the ceramic guides having read some American reviews saying they are hard to access and adjust. I honestly don't find that an issue at all and setting them up is really quick.

The fence wasn't at 90 to the table but there are two little grub screws on the back of the fence to adjust the vertical tilt (not mentioned in the manual).

I have a 3/4" Tuffsaw Fastcut in it at the moment and it has plenty of power for the resawing I've done so far up to 6". I occasionally get parallel diagonal waves in the wood but i think that's when i go too slow?

Thanks for everyone's input along the way. It's been a ridiculously long road to getting a bandsaw! I've only had it a month or so and I'm already wondering how I managed without it.

This is an interesting topic. I keep thinking i’ll get a new b/s. I currently have an old Electra Beckum 315, which with decent blades does what I want (more or less, i’m a woodturner) , but it would help if it had a deeper throat.
Anyway, that’s not really the point I want to ask about. My workshop has power supply via an underground armoured cable from my house. Will this be 13A, and, if so, what is the significance of the 16A requirement some have mentioned? As you will all guess, I am mostly ignorant about electrical matters, but, if I did get a new b/s the power supply might be a key consideration.
Advice/information gratefully received.
D.

Latest posts

Back