Lime

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have recently been 'given' a lime tree. It is 1.4 metres circumference and pollarded at 2m high. I will take it to the saw mill and get it planked at 100mm thick.

I know that it is a little bland but is it good for pyrography ?.

I can turn it then the wife could burn it.

Any one out there have examples of turned lime.

There are a few burls on it too.

Regards 'Sue'

Hi

Don't suppose you could swap it with a carver for something more suitable for turning.

Regards Mick

Lime is very good for turning and I would guess pyrography too, it is reasonably soft so should take subtle burns nicely.

I have a huge lime burr here and I cant wait for it to dry I have seen burr turned from this timber and it gives spectacular results cant wait to get it dry enough to put it to good use and get a bowl out of it but as suggested it makes good carving wood
regards
Bill

Lime isn't all that good for pyrography in my own experience - it's very soft and very easy to overburn leading to a nasty bleed effect along the grain of the wood. Best thing to do with your lime would be swap it with a woodcarver for some more interesting wood for turning. Having said that, the burr may be good for turning. I've also used lime to make jam chucks, soft jaws etc as it is softer than most turning woods and therefore does not leave marks.

Back