Chainsaw Guidance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of trees to take down, some guidance regarding chainsaws would be welcome.
One was damaged recently, I’ve trimmed it down by hand to a 2 metre high stump, approx 30 inches circumference.
Second is a conifer, 4-5 metres high, approx 20 inches circumference.
Not really wanting to buy a chainsaw, although that may change, however, would an electric chainsaw be capable of managing the circumference of these trees?
What size chainsaw would be required?
Am planning to take the conifer down by removing the branches and top with a hand bow saw, then tackling both the stumps once at the base. Is this a sensible approach?
I did approach the trades for a quote, however both came in at around £450, justification was so much work due to the storm.

Yes I think a electric chainsaw would easily take down a tree 12" or less.

I wouldn't take a chainsaw up a tree without professional training. I have a old black and Decker, apparently the titan ones are ok for occasional jobs.

Taking out a stump is one thing taking down branches at height is another thing....

A 30" circumference is only 10" in diameter so just about anything will cut them in a few minutes. Even a handsaw or axe wouldn't take all that much effort. My 20+ year old Husqvarna corded electric has a 16" bar and wouldn't break a sweat and it is 110V, 15A saw. The 220V versions you have would be more powerful again. If you own a cordless tool system there is a chance they have chainsaws that fit the batteries. Rental centres here have chainsaws for rent if you figure on not needing one again. None of your friends have chainsaws? Indispensable tool if you are a woodturner.

Pete

I wouldn't take a chainsaw up a tree without professional training.

I would definitely agree with this. 10" diameter should be no problem for almost any chainsaw. If it struggles, it will be because the chain is blunt (they always are when you borrow a saw!). If a chainsaw does not appeal, Silky hand saws are amazing. They may seem expensive, but a 390mm zurbat or better still 420mm sugoi will get through something like that in no time. Compared with £450 to hire someone, an £85 saw is a bargain, and once you have used one, you will never go back to a bow saw.

Last edited:
Yes I think a electric chainsaw would easily take down a tree 12" or less.

I wouldn't take a chainsaw up a tree without professional training. I have a old black and Decker, apparently the titan ones are ok for occasional jobs.

Taking out a stump is one thing taking down branches at height is another thing....

Thanks James, I won’t be taking a chainsaw up the tree, will do the height work with manual tree saw.

I recently bought a Makita cordless with the twin 18 v batteries and it's excellent. I get about half an hour out of one charge. A spare set of batteries can be had for about £50 but the quality of generic batteries varies a lot. In general the more powerful the better and that's down to your budget. Don't forget to use biodegradable chain oil. !

An electric chainsaw should be fine. Just been cutting 10" old leylandii to reduce height of hedge with a Florabest 15" 2000w 240v I got from lidl a few years ago as a backup as my trusty jonsered isn't so trusty anymore. If the stump is 30" dia then you will need a 15" bar minimum. Also remember it doesnt matter if they are petrol or electric they all have to be treated with care and repect. One mistake and its serious. I missed my face by milimeteres when stupidly cutting above my head and got kick back off a small branch. . I always wear the hardhat and face guard now.

A 30" circumference is only 10" in diameter so just about anything will cut them in a few minutes. Even a handsaw or axe wouldn't take all that much effort. My 20+ year old Husqvarna corded electric has a 16" bar and wouldn't break a sweat and it is 110V, 15A saw. The 220V versions you have would be more powerful again. If you own a cordless tool system there is a chance they have chainsaws that fit the batteries. Rental centres here have chainsaws for rent if you figure on not needing one again. None of your friends have chainsaws? Indispensable tool if you are a woodturner.

Pete
Thanks Pete.
None of my friends are woodturners unfortunately!

I would definitely agree with this. 10" diameter should be no problem for almost any chainsaw. If it struggles, it will be because the chain is blunt (they always are when you borrow a saw!). If a chainsaw does not appeal, Silky hand saws are amazing. They may seem expensive, but a 390mm zurbat or better still 420mm sugoi will get through something like that in no time. Compared with £450 to hire someone, an £85 saw is a bargain, and once you have used one, you will never go back to a bow saw.
Thanks Alex,
Just looked at these online, are you sure their capable of going through 30 inch circumference?

An electric chainsaw should be fine. Just been cutting 10" old leylandii to reduce height of hedge with a Florabest 15" 2000w 240v I got from lidl a few years ago as a backup as my trusty jonsered isn't so trusty anymore. If the stump is 30" dia then you will need a 15" bar minimum. Also remember it doesnt matter if they are petrol or electric they all have to be treated with care and repect. One mistake and its serious. I missed my face by milimeteres when stupidly cutting above my head and got kick back off a small branch. . I always wear the hardhat and face guard now.
Thanks Alisdair,
This is part of my reluctance to purchase a chainsaw, am certainly not careless with tools, but sometimes things can and do go wrong.

A brand new electric saw with new chain will eat your stumps without any problem. My Florabest Lidl saw is significantly more powerful than my petrol powered pruning saws (but it is made of chinesium and fell apart, so is now a permanent fixture shed wall ornament). A bowsaw will do the job too, but slowly - cut a few wedges so as you get past half way the cut doesn't close on the blade.

How much would a chainsaw training day cost? As much as getting the professionals in?

It cost’s about £170 for the safety/maintenance course and if successful the operation and use ( on the ground ) is £200 + your safety gear-trousers and helmet and gloves etc , as others have said a good sharp chain should do the job but a blunt chain is even more dangerous . My advice if you are not confident in using chainsaws then as per your post remove as much as possible by other means -bow saw etc to reduce the weight and then get a friend or member near you to finish the job .it only takes you to hit a nail or stone embedded in the trunk to cause the bar to kick back at the operator and minimum it’s a trip to a/e but could be a lot worse-maximum care reqd .

Thanks Alex,
Just looked at these online, are you sure their capable of going through 30 inch circumference?

Just to check you mean circumference, not diameter? A big silky will easily cope with with a 12 inch diameter tree, much quicker than you will expect. Completely different league to a bowsaw, and well worth the extortionate seeming cost. Be warned though they are VERY sharp, and cut on the pull not push.

Just to check you mean circumference, not diameter? A big silky will easily cope with with a 12 inch diameter tree, much quicker than you will expect. Completely different league to a bowsaw, and well worth the extortionate seeming cost. Be warned though they are VERY sharp, and cut on the pull not push.
[/QUOTE
Yes, 30” circumference so diameter is prob around 12”.
I much prefer pull saws, and in this situation will be the right choice. It looks like it will cope with reasonably close to the ground surface too.

Latest posts

Back