Likes and Dislikes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
A, hopefully, light hearted thread to end the year.

What are you most favourite parts of woodworking?

For me the wood itself is a big 'pull'. I love the stuff, all the different kinds, colours, textures, smells. Another favourite part of woodworking for me is shaping. Curves and organic forms. I guess this is what got me on the turning slope.

Similarly, what are your least desirable woodworking tasks?

For me it would be joint making, as it's something I have not yet mastered. As such I avoid it like the plague, in search of simpler methods. I guess sanding is going to be a popular one. I'm indifferent about sanding. I know if I've got to that part then there is a pretty good chance I can't balls anything else up ;)

Interested in playing? Don't phone, it's just for fun.

Least Favourite - Site work. Anything that involves lugging tools in and out of my car and that takes me away from my nice cosy workshop.

Favourite - Sliding the customer's cheque into my wallet! :lol:

Cheers
Brad

Favourite..........banging home a seasoned oak peg into a green oak mortice & tenon, and watching the draw-bore effect pull it all tight.

Least favourite..........finishing of any description except oiling.

Mike

Favourite : The thought process (designing, thinking the build through etc.), cutting joints, planing, buying new tools :wink: and of course, taking part in my favourite woodworking forum

Least favourite : Finishing!! :evil:

Cheers

Aled

Favourite: The planning stage and trying to figure out how to do something with limited space, limited tools and even more limited ability!

Least favourite: Clearing up afterwards! :wink:

Favourite : Has to be planing up a rough sawn board to see the clean wood underneath :) and of course searching through catalogs in search of new tools to buy :D

Least Favourite : Tearout :x :?

Woody.

I love the planning. I enjoy solving problems and making jigs. I like bandsawing and love routing. Dislike polishing, hate painting. Abhor selling/giving object away, but the next one can always be better.

I'm another who likes the planning, research, sketching parts best

Hate the glue-up - far too stressful...

Boz

Hi,

Sanding, I hate it. Any thing flat gets planed or scraped then finished.

Pete

Favourite: Seeing the expression on a clients face whenever I hand them one of my turnings whether it be a Pepper mill or presentation piece.

Least Favourite: Gluing the 16 pieces of wood together, that make up the mills.

John.B

Favourite: The picture in my head of what it will look like and how the joints will all match up perfectly with squared, crisp edges and perfectly flat faces.

Dislike: the crushing realisation that the picture in my head is actually a memory of watching New Yankee Norm creating that piece and that what's on the worktop in front of me is a pile of poorly prepared wood with inaccurate joints, glue spilling out and sticking to everything and dust gathering quickly over the lot like a late December snow shower!

Still, you keep going with that picture in your head and each time you do it, another aspect of the finished article looks more like what you imagined.

Happy New Year!

Alan

Really don't like glue ups, always too stressful, especially where you're glueing up something awkward or that involves about a billion clamps.

Like Tom I love everything about the wood itself, love going to select and buy it, the touch and the smell and then that moment when you plane off the rough surface to reveal what's underneath.

Also dislike going into my shop/garage in winter, which is why I'm here typing this now instead of shaping a lovely piece of QS oak

Likes - the timber, the 'Tool Wall', the design and make process nws the 'bandsaw'...

Dislikes - complicated glue ups - Rob

wizer":1ooswrx0 said:
A, hopefully, light hearted thread to end the year.

What are you most favourite parts of woodworking?

For me the wood itself is a big 'pull'. I love the stuff, all the different kinds, colours, textures, smells. Another favourite part of woodworking for me is shaping. Curves and organic forms. I guess this is what got me on the turning slope.

Similarly, what are your least desirable woodworking tasks?

For me it would be joint making, as it's something I have not yet mastered. As such I avoid it like the plague, in search of simpler methods. I guess sanding is going to be a popular one. I'm indifferent about sanding. I know if I've got to that part then there is a pretty good chance I can't balls anything else up ;)

Interested in playing? Don't phone, it's just for fun.

Design and cutting the joints (by hand)

I think that what I most like is that, unlike my ex-working life, I can plan, buy, build and finish a project, however humble, and see it through to conclusion in a reasonable time. In other words a sense of making, to a standard to please me and Mrs S. I used to daydream about that at work, as things were measured in timescales of multiple years and inspectors called to rip what you had done apart or governments 'disappeared' your resources.

I don't like tidying and cleaning, except for when it's therapy...

In fact, the downs are vastly outweighed by the ups.

Back