Lightbulbs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know just what you mean! I have been looking for some 100W normal bulbs but all I can find are those energy saving rubbish. It states that it has the same output as a 100W but it is definitely not it is too soft a light for me! :evil:
I am even thinking of putting flourescent strips in our living room!

Was in a poundland the other day and they had old fashioned - Sorry proper light bulbs in large packs for a quid - bout a few (dozen) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know that the new fangled things are supposed to be greener but I recycle the cardboard box they come in so I'm doin my bit :idea: :idea:

I hate energy saving bulbs Most take a year to warm up to full brightness. I can never find ones that the same size like the candle ones. They seem to be longer so now poke out of the shades and ruing what was a nice looking ceiling light.

Dodge":5gi17b4p said:
I know that the new fangled things are supposed to be greener ...

... but they contain mercury, okay only a small amount, but far more than in the old mercury batteries - which were banned years ago! There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking from on high.

RogerP":27xoiowz said:
Dodge":27xoiowz said:
I know that the new fangled things are supposed to be greener ...

... but they contain mercury, okay only a small amount, but far more than in the old mercury batteries - which were banned years ago! There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking from on high.

Agreed. We talked about this back in 2008....and I stocked up on 100W bulbs :lol:

Mailee...eBay have loads of 100w bulbs for sale.

RogerS":3qnhs46z said:
Agreed. We talked about this back in 2008....and I stocked up on 100W bulbs :lol:

Mailee...eBay have loads of 100w bulbs for sale.

... and they're cheaper than chips at the car-boots I go to :)

It's what you get used to I'spose. I'm in the process of changing all my existing bulbs to low enery types and whilst I agree that they're not so bright, it doesn't bother me unduely...and they certainly give out a lot less heat. In ten years time, will we be bewailing the loss of our beloved incandescents?...probably not, except for remembering the 'good old days' which will be yet another cue for the Pythonesque sketch...
So get used to them chaps, they're here to stay :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":1kg4b5uc said:
It's what you get used to I'spose.

The trouble is, you don't. Particularly as you get older and your eyesight gets worse. I find that I use far more lights now so that I can see what I'm reading - which rather defeats the object of energy conservation.

There are some new-fangled halogen bulbs that come on at full brightness straight away and give a much better light, which I now use. However, like all the new bulbs, the long-life claims are a con. I had to take eight of them back recently because they lasted less than a week rather than the 1,000 hours claimed :shock: Also, they are more expensive than the normal new-fangled "long-life" bulbs.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":2g0n4jj1 said:
It's what you get used to I'spose. I'm in the process of changing all my existing bulbs to low enery types and whilst I agree that they're not so bright, it doesn't bother me unduely...and they certainly give out a lot less heat. In ten years time, will we be bewailing the loss of our beloved incandescents?...probably not, except for remembering the 'good old days' which will be yet another cue for the Pythonesque sketch...
So get used to them chaps, they're here to stay :wink: - Rob

My supplies will outlast me :?

Paul Chapman":3um842cd said:
woodbloke":3um842cd said:
It's what you get used to I'spose.

The trouble is, you don't. Particularly as you get older and your eyesight gets worse. I find that I use far more lights now so that I can see what I'm reading - which rather defeats the object of energy conservation.

There are some new-fangled halogen bulbs that come on at full brightness straight away and give a much better light, which I now use. However, like all the new bulbs, the long-life claims are a con. I had to take eight of them back recently because they lasted less than a week rather than the 1,000 hours claimed :shock: Also, they are more expensive than the normal new-fangled "long-life" bulbs.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
The light intensity issue has never bothered me Paul and I'm not far behind you :-" I've not had to take one of the new bulbs back either 'cos they've failed, whereas I was constanlty changing our spot down-lights in the ceiling 'cos they kept on blowing :evil:
I quite like the new bulbs, but the only place I do miss the old bulbs is in the coupla clip-on spot lights I've got over the bench in the 'shop - Rob

A few months ago I would have been nodding in agreement with views posted here, but not now.
Tescos' were selling low energy spirals some months ago and i decided to try them, (20p each). I had tried them when they first came on the market and switched back to filament lamps, but I have to say that the latest type are good, in fact I use nothing else and haven't replaced a lamp since I changed over.
Turn on is immediate now, also, I stand open to correction here, but I believe that Mercury is no longer being used.
With internal and external lights we have over 50 lamps in use and i was replacing lamps near weekly.
Apart from their longevity they don't cook the bulb holders like filament lamps nor crack glass shades with their heat.

Roy.

I'm waiting for the new LED ones to come on stream. Some clever little dickie in Cambridge (IIRC) has developed a way of making LEDS for a fraction of the cost of trad methods. The result is that it should be possible to make a "bulb" of any shape, studded all over with LEDs. They come on immediately and the light quality can be tweaked to match natural daylight.
It was on the Today programme about a year ago, so it must be true.
S

My bedside lamp currently has three 1.1W LED bulbs (GU10 fittings) and, IMHO, it's the best light in the house. Admittedly the bulbs weren't cheap but then very little new technology is cheap at first and I bought them to see if they were any good. If the real life time of the bulb is only half the stated life time I'll have long passed away before these bulbs fail*. The thing I like most about them though is the clear crisp white light you get, it's such a refreshing change compared to the sickly yellow glow from incandescent and to a lesser extent regular low energy bulbs.

I think 10W of LED lighting would be enough to light the room as well as a 100W incandescent if it could be packaged correctly. The problem with LEDs is not the brightness but the focusing, they are great as spot lights but terrible as area lights. I'm sure we'll get that fixed eventually though.

* Geek alert: Stated bulb life 30000 hours and at a guess I use it for about 1 hour day on average so: (30000/2)/365 = 41 years meaning I'll be 75 when the bulb gives up, hmm, hope I make it that far. I some how doubt it'll last this long though, my guess is the chip packing will fail allowing oxygen in long before that.

Back