A lightbulb moment, but...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add - achieving that 500 lux light level consumes around 80W, which may sound excessive, however I rarely use it at that level since it is almost uncomfortably bright for 'normal' use!

Re high pitched whine from LED’s
I had this from a bathroom fitting with LED’s. This turned out to be the switch was incorrectly wired. The switch was on the neutral not live side. Maybe connected (no pun intended) when we first got this house I discovered that the whole house was reverse polarity, ie the live and neutral were in the wrong way round in the consumer unit. I wonder what that did to any of the delicate electronics in any LED’s we had at the time.

I am now completly LED. I have recently converted all my flourescent strip lights to LED which is easy to do. You simply buy the LED tube length you want. If is the old starter type of fitting the conversion tube comes with a dummy starter to rplace the starter. If it is the later booster type fitting you simply strip out everything - good instructions are provided. The LED srips can be bought at any electrical supplier or bargain stores such as Rightway'. Of,all Xmas lights are now LED - a lot safer heatwise!

I've always tried to aim for circa 800 lumens equivalent. Anything less - let's say comparable to an old 30 or 40w bulb - just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

It is a valid point,of course and did not check my lumin output when changing new workshop strips but they appear to be as strong as I have one still operating in my workshop for comparison - not converting as fitting is now obsolete to my needs Cheers

Having worked where the life expectancy of semiconductor lasers and LEDs had to be quoted leaves me wondering about the life quoted for LED lights run from mains electricity. LED component life is generally 30 - 40 thousand hours but what about the other components in the 'light bulb' required to tailor the incoming 220VAC down to the 10VDC or so to power the LED? Those will have a lifetime as well and some will be under more stress than the LEDs.
PS not sure of the voltage required by the LEDs used in lighting but it will be DC and it will be of the order of 10V or less give or take.

Having worked where the life expectancy of semiconductor lasers and LEDs had to be quoted leaves me wondering about the life quoted for LED lights run from mains electricity. LED component life is generally 30 - 40 thousand hours but what about the other components in the 'light bulb' required to tailor the incoming 220VAC down to the 10VDC or so to power the LED? Those will have a lifetime as well and some will be under more stress than the LEDs.
PS not sure of the voltage required by the LEDs used in lighting but it will be DC and it will be of the order of 10V or less give or take.
I fitted led 1200 x 600mm panel lights up in our village hall, they probably are on 50 - 60 hours a week, been up for about 4 years now. Never had a panel fail, but had several power packs fail. Fortunately, easy and cheap to replace.

Latest posts

Back