Help with a lamp fitting ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two of these ceiling lamps which swivel and rotate. The places they go are not suitable for recessed lamps.
They are for R63 bulbs with an E27 screw fitting.
Up to now, I have used incandescent bulbs, which have been OK, but they don't last very long and are 60 watt.

So time to change to LED bulbs.

I have a couple of R63, E27 LED bulbs and when I fit them to these fittings they don't work. However, when I try them in a more open E27 fitting, they work fine.

So I have been looking for replacement ceiling mounted (not recessed) fittings which will work.
I can't find anything - so suggestions please ?

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
perhaps th led bulbs have a shorter centre contact. With the power off can you get hold of the centre contact of the lamp housing and bend it outwards, sometimes if they are made of brass they get pushed down over time and stay down so if a new buld is fractionally shorter then the centre contact doesnt touch the middle terminal of the housing. does that make sense to you? its difficult to describe what i mean

Obviously we dont know what the inside contact looks like but some i have seen in the past are a strip of metal emerging from one side of the base at an angle. you might be able to get a loop of string round it or if you have any thin nose pliers you might be able to get it with them

I have two of these ceiling lamps which swivel and rotate. The places they go are not suitable for recessed lamps.
Up to now, I have used incandescent bulbs, which have been OK, but they don't last very long and are 60 watt.

I have a couple of R63, E27 LED bulbs and when I fit them to these fittings they don't work. However, when I try them in a more open E27 fitting, they work fine.

So I have been looking for replacement ceiling mounted (not recessed) fittings which will work.
Look for ones that take GU10's plenty out there and can get some "Bright" GU10's these day's
Ive one that takes 4 units but they go from one upwards

+1 on the centre contact not reaching. Incandescent ES bulbs have a nice big blob of solder as the centre contact, but led versions often have a flatter metal pad. Careful adjustment can often yield results. (normal 'make sure the power is off' h&s warning applies, or results may differ!). Sometimes side contact is iffy too, 'safer' ES lampholders often have a plastic or ceramic thread with just a tiny tag contact right at the base, so buld has to be fully seated before contact is made.

One thing to watch out for- there are two different bases that look identical, the E27 and the E26- but although they both 'fit' each other, they may not necessarily work properly in each others bases, and especially the cheaper ES LED manufacturers tend to use the two interchangeably, which can lead to the exact same issue you appear to be having...
(the E26 is the '120v' version of the E27)

E26 vs E27 Bulbs - Interchangeable? Not Necessarily! | Waveform Lighting

Looking at the pic of the fitting, it looks like a British (Ring?) made one so will have a proper E27 holder

Be certain either you know that the light switch is definitely "off"- and put a note on it to say don't touch as well - before you start prodding inside the fitting. Or even better - and safer - trip the mcb for that lighting cct.. Either way test to be sure with neon tester or similar at the fixture itself.

Some of those bent spring contacts in ES bases are often quite thin and not very forgiving if bent up again if they've started to flatten out. Some are more of a hump effect than a straight strip; so check carefully to see what the one you have is properly situated.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
I will look at the contacts tomorrow and see what they are like. I think the problem is that - and the end of the LED bulb is pretty flat as you can see. Maybe the solution is new fittings that are made for LED bulbs. Incandescent and halogen spot bulbs will not be available for sale very soon !

Attachments

• E27.JPG
    E27.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
Swapping out old bulbs for LED should not be a problem, an edison screw (ES) is the same for an LED as a old bulb and the same for a miniature edison screw so the most obvious issue is do they fit in the shade or are they fouling and not screwing home ?

Thank you !
I managed to get it working today luckily - and also found a small label inside. It is a "Ring Electrical MR800". Nowhere to be found on a Google search, but it does work now. It actually looks very well made, so hopefully I won't have to replace them.

Hello
Perhaps you have the wrong light bulbs, I have similar light fittings and I changed them to led and they work better than the old type. There are a vast array available and one can even get attachments for the bulbs to change their fitting. Have you looked and checked, it would seem not quite right to change the light fitting to suit the bulb.........
Regards

Last edited:
Looking at the pic of the fitting, it looks like a British (Ring?) made one so will have a proper E27 holder
Yes, but are the bulbs actually E27- or E26???
LED bulb manufacturers have a habit of using them interchangeably (especially the 'universal' 100-240v types can be found with either) and even many 230v only ones (dimmable) can be found with E26... (and viceversa with 120v dimmable with E27)
This is actually a quite common issue

Latest posts

Back