Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent my afternoon moving the logs from the playground, across the carpark and up to my garage door, a distance of around 100m, so very glad I have a set of wheels on a steel frame ( thank-you tesco šŸ˜) they're not huge pieces but they are very heavy, love the orange colour of the wet faces, although a dry cut surface is a lot more of a creamy colour. Stacked the chunky ones that won't fit through the bandsaw and painted the ends with some old PVA I've had for years, it's a bit thick and gloopy but should be fine for sealing. I also made a start cutting up some of the smaller logs that do fit the bandsaw. The heart is way off to one side on most of these logs giving potential for some very deep bowl blanks once I get a new chain for my little electric saw.

20240213_161208.jpg20240213_181100.jpg20240213_181104.jpg

30-40ft Ash tree across the road from me was taken down by highways. I went and spoke to the chaps doing the work and blagged probably half the tree. There was another chap with a flatbed that must have seen it whilst passing, i was racing to get as much wood as possible. Luckily I could see when they finished each day as I was working from home so legged it across the road and got as much as i could. I bed he wasn't that pleased to turn up to find I'd already had half the pile :)

They even cut it into 12inch slices ~18inches across, so I had lovely rounds to split. My lawn was covered. My neighbours probably think I'm mental but My dad and I both now have big wood stores waiting for a year or 2's time.

got a few nice pieces for turning also. New a few new spade/shovel handles and want to do some candle sticks and smaller tool handles.

Sad to see the tree go though. There were no signs of dieback as far as i could see and it must have been there 50 years.

30-40ft Ash tree across the road from me was taken down by highways. I went and spoke to the chaps doing the work and blagged probably half the tree. There was another chap with a flatbed that must have seen it whilst passing, i was racing to get as much wood as possible. Luckily I could see when they finished each day as I was working from home so legged it across the road and got as much as i could. I bed he wasn't that pleased to turn up to find I'd already had half the pile :)

They even cut it into 12inch slices ~18inches across, so I had lovely rounds to split. My lawn was covered. My neighbours probably think I'm mental but My dad and I both now have big wood stores waiting for a year or 2's time.

got a few nice pieces for turning also. New a few new spade/shovel handles and want to do some candle sticks and smaller tool handles.

Sad to see the tree go though. There were no signs of dieback as far as i could see and it must have been there 50 years.
I had the same Jan last year, huge Ash tree being cut down across the road, ruined my shoulder carrying it across the road then having to use a handsaw to divide it all up, had an exray done a couple months ago and there's some excessive wear in that shoulder joint now šŸ„“ was almost worth it though as I've got enough small logs and large blanks to keep me going for a year or more šŸ˜

Lots more splitting and sealing this afternoon, only had a couple of hours but got quite a bit done, trying to sort my wood stock into species as everything is starting to get all mixed up. I've got a pile of birch blocks to sort through and see what's usable and what's burnable along with 2 big lumpy pieces that still need dividing up for dragon eggs and a 6ft long 6inch thick piece of trunk from the top of the tree and a few small branches. Then I've got loads of lumps of Ash to finish roughing and getting off the floor, then I've got two 4ft x8inch lengths of lime to cut down on the bandsaw leaving 9 pieces stacked outside that need splitting with a chainsaw as they're all well over 10inches thick and my bandsaw maxes out at just under 9inches.20240214_174648.jpg20240214_174715.jpg20240214_175313.jpg
This is the pva I've used, it's been sat around for over 10years and is very thick and gloopy but it seems to be perfect for sealing the logs.
Also need to check on the couple dozen birch blanks I've got tucked away in trays covered with shavings, I checked the top tray today and the blanks are looking good.

Latest posts

Back