Led Strip Lights

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any info on replacing my fluorescent tubes with led tubes I had a look on line but I aint no electrician so am completely lost can I replace with led into my fittings or do I need new fittings as well they are under my kitchen units and i'm sick of replacing fluorescent tubes . My electrician will be fitting them if I can do it at a reasonable cost.
Tnx Jim

Just a mention ,that you will need to verify, and you did say the tubes are for kitchen units, but due to the "strobe" effect leds are not advised near rotating machinery,
Is this correct?

LED look very promising (I have LED light on my bike - superb) but too expensive in home form at the moment.

However, I've yet to see any solid state technology that doesn't drop vertiginously in price once it hits the mass market (anyone remember £40,000 plasma TVs, footballers only).

So if the rest of you would kindly get on and buy them, I'll be grateful :)

BugBear

themackay":4h4q3dur said:
I have changed nearly all of our lights to various forms of LED Flourescent tube replacemend led tubes are still very expensive I have replaced my flouescents with
these http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-light ... t-595.html

Have only installed one so far but have another three to excellent light.

They are the same strips I've been using in my workshop for about 12 months. I don't pay anywhere near £30 a strip though!

MMUK":1hu733cb said:
themackay":1hu733cb said:
I have changed nearly all of our lights to various forms of LED Flourescent tube replacemend led tubes are still very expensive I have replaced my flouescents with

They are the same strips I've been using in my workshop for about 12 months. I don't pay anywhere near £30 a strip though!
Any links, or clues as to where/how much?
What would you recommend for a workshop(anyone), warm white/bright white/???

joethedrummer":1pinrrv4 said:
Just a mention ,that you will need to verify, and you did say the tubes are for kitchen units, but due to the "strobe" effect leds are not advised near rotating machinery,
Is this correct?

There is no strobe effect with LED's they are DC and emit a continuous light.
Fluorescent lights have a strobe effect, I used to use them to calibrate home built optical tachometers. Point a tacho at a fluorescent and it was doing 3000rpm!

Gerry

BB - they're not expensive compared to the electricity they save, even now. And that's without factoring in the additional life expectancy.
Obviously if you fit them in a light that's only on for a few minutes a day they'd be more difficult to justify.

John Brown":1u9mg9t6 said:
MMUK":1u9mg9t6 said:
themackay":1u9mg9t6 said:

5 meters (twice the length) $24.70 Warm white 48W 2400lm http://dx.com/p/48w-2400lm-600-smd-3528-led-warm-white-car-decoration-soft-light-strip-5m-193486

5 meters (twice the length) $45.90 Waterproof 72W 6000lm http://dx.com/p/hml-ip68-waterproof...ght-car-decoration-lamp-strip-white-5m-250059

John Brown":1ndz9mdt said:
MMUK":1ndz9mdt said:
themackay":1ndz9mdt said:

I've got my supplier's website on the desktop PC, I'll post it up later when I'm off the laptop :D

I got some from Ebay for about £10 for 5 meters.

Pete

Racers":2jbiher8 said:
I got some from Ebay for about £10 for 5 meters.

Pete

That's where I got my first one from, now I deal directly with the supplier in HK and buy them by the crate of 500 units. In bulk they cost me around £3 per unit once C&E have had their share and they're on my doorstep.

Thanks, MMUK. And I see you answered my other question in the other thread!
"I used cool white strips as I find they make for better clarity in a working environment as opposed to warm white which is almost yellowish."

John

MMUK":2km4upcn said:
themackay":2km4upcn said:

Can you explain how you have them fitted. I want to improve the lighting in my workshop and hopefully lower my consumption but I am worried that I'll get something that isn't good enough. Do you have these fitted to the ceiling ?

Gerry":2p6jbrug said:
There is no strobe effect with LED's they are DC and emit a continuous light.
Gerry

Some LED drivers, especially dimmable ones will use PWM but at a high frequency. I have also seen pictures of cheap mains LED lamps where LEDS are connected in series with a diode and resistor, so these may well exhibit a strobe effect.

mseries":3ctycuz1 said:
Can you explain how you have them fitted. I want to improve the lighting in my workshop and hopefully lower my consumption but I am worried that I'll get something that isn't good enough. Do you have these fitted to the ceiling ?

I have them taped directly to the ceiling. I had a load of used laminate flooring with quite a glossy finish so I fitted that to the ceiling joists and the strips are taped directly to that. I fitted a PC PSU in the ceiling void and tapped into the yellow/black combination for 12vDC. I have a 300w PSU with the 12v rail rated at 17A. It doesn't draw anywhere near that though. I fitted 2.1mm DC power plugs and sockets (I just bought 1.5m extension leads from CPC for around 80p each and cut to the required length) with the socket coming through a hole in the ceiling and fitted into a tool clip. The plug I soldered onto the end of each strip, heat shrinked the joint and just plugged in. This way I can easily modify my lighting arrangement should I need to by adding a longer or shorter strip without having to get into the ceiling void to re-wire.

DSC_0044_zps645cf59f.jpg

DSC_0043_zps7cdf3732.jpg

DSC_0045_zps75651e0a.jpg

Back