Leather alternatives for honing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Any ideas?

I fancy having a bash at honing with the leather type discs, mostly out of curiosity, but don't buy or use leather.

At the minute i just dry grind, and if i fancy honing use a extra fine diamond file with a dab of water. I touch up with the diamond file a couple of times when i notice the tool dulling, before returning to the grinder after a bit.
Any point in me trying other alternatives?

Do people actually use the leather wheels on Tormeks etc, or are they more hassle than they're worth?

Ah yes i saw this before thanks. Looks like the ticket, but i had assumed that was leather around the MDF?

What tools are you honing Oakbear?

Apart from my skew gouges I don't hone anything because from what I have learned it isn't needed. Even on the skew it only needs a few strokes on my DMT diamond whet stone to bring it back to near shaving sharp. Mind you I have had a beard for the last 36 years!

If I do hone aything, my carving gouges for instance, I have a piece of leather stuck onto a piece of pine, about 6" X 4", and I hone by putting a drop of Brasso on the leather and dip the gouge in water before honing it. I finish up with a mirror finish on the gouge that my old, very old, drill instructor in my R.A.F apprentice days would have been proud of...

bobham":3tj3bgd9 said:
There does not appear to be any leather on the MDF disks, just the green honing compound.

Bob
Correct Bob, the MDF is porous enough to hold the compound and firm enough that it does not flow around the cutting edge to 'round' it as soft leather can.
Not a problem with carving tools but it can be a problem with turning gouges, they can be very sharp but if curving ever so slightly away from the bevel appear blunt when the major part of the bevel is rubbing.

I'm not advocating that MDF is any better than hard rubber or other wheels, it's just my thrifty way of working, using a bit of MDF from the scrap bin leaves more pennies in the piggy bank for tools I cannot make myself.

Thanks guys, i may give the mdf a bash i think.

I tend to hone spindle or bowl gouges when i need a very precise finishing or detailing cut. Seems to help a bit i think.
I think i have honed my skew before, but as a classic beginner i tend to avoid the skew if there's tool with which i'm more confident available for the job.

The best advice I think that you could have is to bite the bullet, get some wood on your lathe and practice with the scew. It does bite until you get over the fear of it and then it will bite again, BUT it is well worth the time and practice to get some confidence with it.

Yesterday I was turning a couple of spatulers with a ball end and I was just rounding the end when it bit in and left a spiral. so I just went in again, made the ball a bit smaller and got it as I wanted it and didn't let the heel dig in that time.

Try it, you will be chuffed to death when you get it right!

Personally I have not found it necessary to hone anything but my scews, carving gouges and flat world chisels. It takes too much time..

Back