Leaking air compressor couplings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlingwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi bought my first air compressor. The threaded couplings leak ever so slightly. Can I use PTFE or loctite or something on the threads or is it just something to put up with?

PTFE yes. Loctite I honestly dont know but I always thought that was a thread locking compound rather than a sealant. It is a brand name though, so there may well be a suitable product.

Before covid put me out of work we used CO2 Dewar's all the time for low smoke and haze machines. PTFE was always the go-to option. I think it's supposed to be 'one wrap' but I sometimes found you had to do at least 2 times round the thread to get a good seal.

Some compressors etc do leak as it moves in the knuckle/joint, never found anything to cure that though.

I used this liquid PTFE in the end from BES. It was blue, I only did this evening so will fire up the compressor tomororw and see if it does the trick.

The blue stuff is fine. Some of the fittings here are done with that, some of them with tape. Well, probably most with tape as it's cheaper!, but certainly some are done with the blue stuff.

Blue stuff really comes into its own when you have a non threaded coupling that's supposed to seal but just won't quite mate correctly. A few drips of blue just stops that last bit of leakage.

Latest posts

Back