lattice topped workbench, any point past decoration?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
this you tube video caught my eye, he's made a solid worktop, then routed out a grid and inlaid battons to form a lattice, he then goes on to pour epoxy into the knots. I thought at first that it had been mislabled as a bench and was actually a sideboard or the like, until he latter puts a vice on it. So is there any practical reason for a lattice like this, because in my mind a decorative workbench is a contradiction in terms

pure ametuer affectation in that he wants a pretty bench to mangle as he works on pet projects. all being well that you have a nice bench but must realise that as you make stuff it will be damaged unless you are so precious as to take unneccessary precautions. Just make sure it is strong, long enough, has flat surfaces and is square.

It was the tool chest, not the workbench, where decorative expression historically was exercised. But as Droods says most people making a living, rather than a reputation, went for practical and reliable.

If the relative humidity in his workshop changes he has a disaster on his hands. Mix of expansion directions all over the bench.

Presumably as it seems with most you tube videos I see it’s done for the sake of content rather than practical application.

bet he’s good at Wack a Mole

Last edited:
it looks good but not a good design in terms of wood movement, better off with a simple english style workbench.

Latest posts

Back